Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discography search is down.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discography search is down.....
    Posted: October 15 2020 at 13:36
Can't search for bands 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 13:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Can't search for bands 

I noticed that too, Dr Wu. You can still search for bands though, simply by clicking on the initial letter of the band you're looking for and then scrolling down until you find them. Smile
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 16:28
Max disabled that feature in order to investigate a different issue that the site is having. (I don't remember which exactly...could be the 520 errors or the https thing.)

Hopefully it shall return soon. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
animae View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote animae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 03:07
The last couple of days, accessibility through google search (eg "band_name progarchives") usually gives
Error 522

I think its the same error Man With Hat is referring to.
Kill the wise one!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 03:23
Seems like it's working now but it's a bit different. :) If I type for instance "änglagård" I get automatically redirected to the band's page but if I type something more vague like "cirkus" then the search gives me all the available artists that have "cirkus" in the name.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 08:06
^ Wow, I like it a lot! Now we can search any weird names with special characters! Nice job, M@X!!

But could we have the keyboard "ENTER" key to start the search working again? Now we have to click on the "submit" button. At first I thought searching was not working until I realised I have to click with the mouse.

And it would be very cool to have another option to search though ALBUM TITLES, not only artists...

Edited by projeKct - October 18 2020 at 08:08
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:28
DONE

But could we have the keyboard "ENTER" key to start the search working again? Now we have to click on the "submit" button. At first I thought searching was not working until I realised I have to click with the mouse.

Wink
Prog On !
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:53
^ Yes, search though ALBUM TITLES would be helpful.
But from the other hand, it's not a problem to find an album on the artist page (unless the artist is not BUCKETHEAD Smile)
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 12:46
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

DONE

But could we have the keyboard "ENTER" key to start the search working again? Now we have to click on the "submit" button. At first I thought searching was not working until I realised I have to click with the mouse.

Wink
Thanks again, M@X!

And what about partial word search for artists?

For example, Frost returns nothing, but Frost* goes to the band's page.

Edited by projeKct - October 18 2020 at 12:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 13:07
If memory serves me, search worked with cyrillic titles, now it's not working:

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 14:15
^ It doesn't seem to work with Polish diacritics as well. I did searches for two Polish artists listed here - Krzysztof Ścierański and Tadeusz Woźniak - and the result was the same as above.
Then I found them via the lists under alphabet letters and it turns out they are actually listed without the diacritics in their names but when I search for them without the diacritics it still gives no results nonetheless... So it seems they are completely invisible to the search engine now! Confused

Edited by Tuzvihar - October 18 2020 at 14:17
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 16:49
OHHH - ok will check out  polish diacritics and cyrillic .

Tx for reporting.
Prog On !
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 23:36
Originally posted by animae animae wrote:

The last couple of days, accessibility through google search (eg "band_name progarchives") usually gives
Error 522

I think its the same error Man With Hat is referring to.
I'm still getting that error - twice so far this morning.
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 02:51
^ Me too  Thumbs Down 

Well this one will be a hard-to-fix one, wish me luck Geek
Prog On !
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 03:20
I've changed a TLS settings in CLOUDFLARE it fixed things for me, please report back your results .

Tx
Prog On !
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

I've changed a TLS settings in CLOUDFLARE it fixed things for me, please report back your results .

Tx
That definitely did work for me: no 522 timeout errors since 20-or-so minutes! Before that I had them 4 out of 5 page(re)loads.

Edit: and the normal avatars for everybody are back again too...

Edited by suitkees - October 19 2020 at 03:54

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 03:57
Looks like the search function would be incomplete. My "Behold" search cannot find "Behold...The Arctopus", unless the word is "Behold...The", such a sequential one.
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 04:34
May be slightly related - when using the Top Albums search function I no longer see the personal rating I've given, only the community one and QWR. It's handy to see what I've given a rating to so I can easily see what top (or not-so-top) albums I haven't rated yet to find new stuff... particularly as a bit of a newbie to the site
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Looks like the search function would be incomplete. My "Behold" search cannot find "Behold...The Arctopus", unless the word is "Behold...The", such a sequential one.
Yeah, it would be very important to be able to search partial words!!

But... I'm wondering... was the previous "Google search engine" was broken or something? Why making these changes all of a sudden? Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 21:15
Band names with articles:
Doors, The - the search works;
The Doors - no results

Similar for individual artists, for example:
Testa, Stefano - the search works;
Stefano Testa - no results

Edited by NotAProghead - October 20 2020 at 21:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>