Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Porcupine Tree Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is the best Porcupine Tree album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.93%]
6 [10.71%]
7 [12.50%]
2 [3.57%]
6 [10.71%]
7 [12.50%]
9 [16.07%]
13 [23.21%]
1 [1.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 06:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I never realized this but I consider all PT albums from Signify to The Incident to be absolutely equal. That's 7 straight albums. I don't think that I can say that about any other prog artist. Shocked
Porcupine Tree were just a great band all round, I seriously can't think of anything wrong with them. I reckon all their albums from Up the Downstair to The Incident are superb. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 07:09
^ yeah, I was into them heavily about 8-10 years ago and then got burnt out on them. Time to get reacquainted.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 07:42
Fear of a Blank Planet just over Stupid Dream.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think it's good someone started this poll. As odd as it may sound I really don't think Porcupine Tree shows up in poll's as much as they should. Maybe people are starting forget about them. Not sure.
I'll remember to include Porcupine Tree in one of my Brit Prog polls at some point. Smile

They've appeared in one of my polls already, but I'm not allowed to mention that. Wink
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:26
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

No Recordings?

and Metanoia Big smile

Both of these are excellent.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 11:50
The Incident for me, by far...a contrary opinion to be sure, but Progheads should always be in the musical minority.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 12:02
My favourite is Up The Downstair (the original version), but I think the best is The Sky Moves Sideways.
I never really warmed up to Fear of a Blank Planet, it's one of the least interesting for me, along with The Incident.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 14:52
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

My favourite is Up The Downstair (the original version), but I think the best is The Sky Moves Sideways.
I never really warmed up to Fear of a Blank Planet, it's one of the least interesting for me, along with The Incident.

I agree about Fear......nothing on that lp is memorable to me. Good solid playing and production but the songs are simply not 'catchy'. And The Incident has similar issues also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 15:23
I guess that's why Fear is killing it in this poll.

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2020 at 15:24
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 15:36

I guess that's why Fear is killing it in this poll.

Beats me....I've been into PT since Sky Moves Sideways and bought all of the studio and compilations...etc...
I was disappointed in Fear....also in Lifeson's and Fripp's contributions such as they are.
Just goes to show once again how tastes differ.
Stern Smile
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 15:49
Yes, but they are prog gods after all. I'm sure that's a factor for some.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 17:12

De gustibus non est disputandum
Wink
Haquin
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 00:15
I really need to invest some time listening to Fear of a Blank Planet its easily winning this poll so there must be something I missed first time around..maybe it's one of those albums that slowly grows on you Smile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 01:13
From the 2nd to the 5th I like all them equally. Voted for the sky.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 04:27
Deadwing but not surprised about the leader. Good to see a spread of votes and that The Incident has got at least one vote Smile 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 04:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

De gustibus non est disputandum
Wink
Those of us who understand Latin (or went on Google Translate) will know that approximately translates as "On tastes, there is no dispute". Or at least, I think it translates as that, my Latin is a little rusty. 
As for Fear, it is, I think, the result of an ex-psychedelic rock band trying to broaden themselves to headbanging metal horizons, even inviting two old musicians who helped make prog metal what it is,and putting it all in a marvellous concept album. A masterpiece for some, for others, a ruinous downfall. Maybe not so ruinous though, it was their most successful album at time of release. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 07:57
In Absentia was always my favourite. I'm not a huge fan of PT overall but IA is a classic album, and consistently good throughout. FOABP and Deadwing are also very good, but my close second fave is actually Signify.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 21:00
fear of a blank planet of course
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 23:42
Signify, although Fear does come really close

Edited by Necrotica - February 24 2021 at 23:42
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 03:36
Someone’s been reviving the older polls. I always like it when older posts and polls are revived. I would love it if this site didn’t automatically lock posts over time, though I understand there were reasons why this approach was chosen.

My top three PT albums are Sky Moves Sideways > Up The Downstair > The Incident.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>