Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old School Monster Movies (Universal)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Of These would you pick?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
5 [50.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
2 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old School Monster Movies (Universal)
    Posted: October 16 2020 at 13:28
We have been checking out some of the old Universal monster movies for Halloween.
Which is your favorite? 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 13:37
gotta be Creature from the Black Lagoon for me.  But Claude Rains is brilliant in the Phantom remake, and it's hard to beat the original Frankenstein.

Edited by Atavachron - October 16 2020 at 13:40
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 13:43
^ yea, I forgot Creature. I should have put it on the list. 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 13:57
Frankenstein for me, but all those in the list are great movies.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 14:03
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

gotta be Creature from the Black Lagoon for me.  But Claude Rains is brilliant in the Phantom remake, and it's hard to beat the original Frankenstein.

Similar for me, and I liked The Invisible Man condiderably.. That said, instead of voting other for The Creature from the Black Lagoon, I will give Frankenstein a vote. That had the biggest effect on me.   I watched Tarantula (1955) again recently. Not one of the best.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 14:07
^ The 50's had a whole new wave of monsters
 (The Thing, Them, The Fly, It- The Terror from beyond Space, 
The Beast Form 20,000 Fathoms, Invasion of the Body Snachers..)
 Some good, some not so got but still a lot of fun!

Edited by Argo2112 - October 16 2020 at 14:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Similar for me, and I liked The Invisible Man condiderably.. That said, instead of voting other for The Creature from the Black Lagoon, I will give Frankenstein a vote. That had the biggest effect on me.   I watched Tarantula (1955) again recently. Not one of the best.

No it wasn't, but definitely creepy and I believe one of the first films to use the real thing instead of bad models, puppets, or stop-motion.   Did you catch Clint Eastwood as a jet pilot?

"We decided to do this film because, generally, people are very afraid of spiders"  -- Jack Arnold

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 15:14
From the list, "The Wolf Man".

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 15:27
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 15:54
^ Love that one, it's about as good as any of Universal's regular monster pictures.   A&C Meet the Invisible Man is fun too.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 16:01

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No it wasn't, but definitely creepy and I believe one of the first films to use the real thing instead of bad models, puppets, or stop-motion.   Did you catch Clint Eastwood as a jet pilot?

"We decided to do this film because, generally, people are very afraid of spiders"  -- Jack Arnold

I missed that being Clint Eastwood. Gotta say I was kind of half asleep when it was on.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 16:59
Went with Bride of Frankenstein

Edited by Argo2112 - October 17 2020 at 16:59
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

That one is fun. We watched it with my daughter last year. Her first taste of Abbot & Costello!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 13:05
I can't decide but want to point out that "The Invisible Man" was done totally wrong. Anybody who knows anything about physics knows that when someone is invisible he also is blind.

So if I were to direct a movie about someone who becomes invisible I would also make him blind. Just imagine the horror of this: You can't see anything but no-one can help you because no-one can see you.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 28 2020 at 13:08

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 13:07
^ Claude Rains worked that out! LOL
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:36
Frankenstein
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply