Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of British Prog - Part Two: Eighth Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
17 [32.69%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [30.77%]
4 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
12 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I seem to have a bad habit of liking the songs and albums that Cristi dislikes, bearing in mind Xanadu is my favourite ELO album and Heaven & Earth is one of my favourite Yes albums. Tongue

YOSW being a favorite on W & W is such a unique point of view, I've never heard anyone say such a thing. I have nothing against you enjoying that, I'm just surprised to say the least. 

I listen to plenty of albums others dislike, I'm gonna do a poll maybe, I've done some in the past, long ago. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:58
^ I listen to many albums I dislike too, including listening to all of King Crimson's albums recently. Ouch
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 09:02

^ I listen to many albums I dislike too, including listening to all of King Crimson's albums recently. Ouch

You misunderstood, I said albums others dislike, so I am the minority in liking them. 

I never torture myself with music i dislike. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:12
TULL
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:23
A strong list for me, which makes the decision difficult. There are three top contenders - Wind and Wuthering, Hero and Heroine, and Minstrel in the Gallery. It may be odd that I have not yet voted from one of my absolute favorite bands yet, Jethro Tull, but then my favorites of theirs come later in their career.  I have to go with the magic that Genesis offered this time with Minstrel a close second.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:28
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

A strong list for me, which makes the decision difficult. There are three top contenders - Wind and Wuthering, Hero and Heroine, and Minstrel in the Gallery. It may be odd that I have not yet voted from one of my absolute favorite bands yet, Jethro Tull, but then my favorites of theirs come later in their career.  I have to go with the magic that Genesis offered this time with Minstrel a close second.

Judging from the voting so far, I think those three albums you mentioned are pretty much the top contenders for most of us here in this particular poll. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 14:49
Strawbs.......Genesis...Tull
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 17:09
I would have thought there would be something rivalling Hero and Heroine in such a list but there isn't
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 17:15
Even the best Strawbs album is no match for this Genesis album.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 19:15
Tull
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 01:15
Zep, but Jt and Mostly Autumn are good.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Genesis I guess.

Lep Zep's The Song Remains the Same is a live album. 
There's method in my madness:- Having included the live Song Remains the Same album, I won't run out of Led Zeppelin albums when we arrive at the tenth album poll. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:24

Genesis I guess.

There's method in my madness:- Having included the live Song Remains the Same album, I won't run out of Led Zeppelin albums when we arrive at the tenth album poll. Smile

Led Zeppelin - Coda is number ten.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:49

Genesis I guess.

Led Zeppelin - Coda is number ten.
That's right. Hug
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 06:02
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I would put 4 Strawbs albums above Wind and Wuthering and 2 (Grave New World and Hero and Heroine) above any Genesis album. And that's from a Genesis fan.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I would put 4 Strawbs albums above Wind and Wuthering and 2 (Grave New World and Hero and Heroine) above any Genesis album. And that's from a Genesis fan.

I could never get into Stawbs and I did try several times. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

I love Genesis - Wind & Wuthering, Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery, Mostly Autumn - Heart Full of Sky and Strawbs - Hero and Heroine. This time I'm going to chose one of my favourite prog bands of the 70's, a band I always loved. So, it must be Strawbs - Hero and Heroine.

I think this is one poll that Genesis aren't going to win for a change. 
Don't count on that...
It looks like you were right. Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:20

^ I seem to have a bad habit of liking the songs and albums that Cristi dislikes, bearing in mind Xanadu is my favourite ELO album and Heaven & Earth is one of my favourite Yes albums. Tongue

To be fair it's not just Cristi. I can't speak for ELO but I'm guessing an ELO album with ONJ isn't going to rank number one with ELO fans and I guess you're aware by now of the general standing of H&E amongst Yes fans. "Your Own Special Way" is never going to be in a top 10 of Genesis tracks around here. Probably wouldn't even make the top 10 from W&W.Wink
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:25
remarkable showing from Hero and Heroine, from a 2nd tier band that many people here probably know very little.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

To be fair it's not just Cristi. I can't speak for ELO but I'm guessing an ELO album with ONJ isn't going to rank number one with ELO fans and I guess you're aware by now of the general standing of H&E amongst Yes fans. "Your Own Special Way" is never going to be in a top 10 of Genesis tracks around here. Probably wouldn't even make the top 10 from W&W.Wink
I'm a big fan of Olivia Newton John too, so having ONJ & ELO together on one album is the perfect combination for me. Smile

I know Heaven & Earth is not  highly regarded amongst Yes fans generally, but I try not to let that sway my high opinion of the album. Smile

I think Cristi probably knows me well enough by now to know that I tend to prefer the "poppier" side of prog, such as "Your Own Special Way" for instance. I couldn't help laughing though when you said it wouldn't even make the Top 10 of songs on the Wind & Wuthering album when there's only nine songs on the album.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>