Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rating abuse??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 03:34
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've been watching the insidious climb of all things Kalugin and Modern-Rock Ensemble over the past three or four months. It's kind of humorous, kind of scary in a tampering-with-the-U.S.-democratic-elections kind of way. 

For example, just look at the latest three ratings (at the bottom of the list) on the 2019 Modern-Rock Ensemble album from "FUTURE_PASSED (Future Passed)," ATOMIC_RELIC (Atomic Relic)," and "KINGCRIMSONKING (King Crimson)" (all accounts established in 2020, none revealing real names, all claiming to be US accounts):  all five star ratings. Yet, if you go to their individual accounts, everything looks kosher until you look at the ratings for all of the other albums in competition with Night Dreams & Wishes at the top of the '19 and '20 charts: Tirill, one star; Opeth, one star; Pendragon, one star; Battlestations, one star; The Ocean, one star; Lazuli, on star; Motorpsycho, one star; and five stars for Kalugin/Karfagen and Night Dreams across the board. 

Aside from favoring the climb I've been watching of Night Dreams, and the way it is favoring all of Antony Kalugin's albums, I'm half expecting it to pave the way for an onslaught for #1 for a new, 2020 Vladimir Goraschenko (Modern-Rock Ensemble) release. It's actually been quite entertaining, quite cleverly done, with the final result that, until some collabs get involved by posting more realistic reviews, I imagine within a week or two the Modern-Rock Ensemble album will be #1 on the 2019 chart with Kalugin's Dragons right behind, and Kalugin's Marshmallow Moondust and Birds of Passage overtaking everything but maybe Wobbler on the 2020 chart (until, of course, the M-R E release that I predict). It'll be interesting to watch!

those three look suspicious, 
one of them gave all Nektar albums 5 stars. 
One gave most Yes albums 5 stars...
One of them gave Wish You Were Here 1 star, it's weird, but then again someone just said the other day in a Pink Floyd thread that he thought A Momentary lapse of Reason is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon. Confused 
Admin/mods need to look in to those three accounts rating and make a decision.Confused
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 05:08
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

It's weird, but then again someone just said the other day in a Pink Floyd thread that he thought A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon. Confused 
Maybe he had A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Tongue
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 05:18
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've been watching the insidious climb of all things Kalugin and Modern-Rock Ensemble over the past three or four months. It's kind of humorous, kind of scary in a tampering-with-the-U.S.-democratic-elections kind of way. 

For example, just look at the latest three ratings (at the bottom of the list) on the 2019 Modern-Rock Ensemble album from "FUTURE_PASSED (Future Passed)," ATOMIC_RELIC (Atomic Relic)," and "KINGCRIMSONKING (King Crimson)" (all accounts established in 2020, none revealing real names, all claiming to be US accounts):  all five star ratings. Yet, if you go to their individual accounts, everything looks kosher until you look at the ratings for all of the other albums in competition with Night Dreams & Wishes at the top of the '19 and '20 charts: Tirill, one star; Opeth, one star; Pendragon, one star; Battlestations, one star; The Ocean, one star; Lazuli, on star; Motorpsycho, one star; and five stars for Kalugin/Karfagen and Night Dreams across the board. 

Aside from favoring the climb I've been watching of Night Dreams, and the way it is favoring all of Antony Kalugin's albums, I'm half expecting it to pave the way for an onslaught for #1 for a new, 2020 <span style=": rgb240, 240, 240; font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">Vladimir Goraschenko (Modern-Rock Ensemble) release. It's actually been quite entertaining, quite cleverly done, with the final result that, until some collabs get involved by posting more realistic reviews, I imagine within a week or two the Modern-Rock Ensemble album will be #1 on the 2019 chart with Kalugin's Dragons right behind, and Kalugin's Marshmallow Moondust and Birds of Passage overtaking everything but maybe Wobbler on the 2020 chart (until, of course, the M-R E release that I predict). It'll be interesting to watch!</span>
<span style=": rgb240, 240, 240; font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb240, 240, 240; font-family: " sans", Arial, sans-serif;">I do not mean to begrudge Antony and Vladimir their success and accolades (they have produced some great music!), but are these albums really Top 100 All-Time Prog albums?</span>

Good grief. Time to tweak the algorithm so that all Kalugin albums are automatically excluded from the top lists.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 05:43
Future_Passed has rated most Pendragon albums as 5 stars but Love Over Fear has 1 star. Really?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 17:08
Looks like they're manipulating ratings of their favourable artists intentionally, with thoughtless ratings for other ones. Quite annoying.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 17:09
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Looks like they're manipulating ratings of their favourable artists intentionally, with thoughtless ratings for other ones. Quite annoying.

Nuke'em! Evil SmileLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 19:16

Nuke'em! Evil SmileLOL

and I nominate a second nuke for those who complain about ratings abuse ...Beer

if this site had listened to me (aka Tsar Bomba) years ago..and just obliterated ratings altogehter..   there would have been no nukes today.. only naked women, loud geetars, cheap dope American craft beer...

and good reviewers.. who write about albums.. not rate them
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 02:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Nuke'em! Evil SmileLOL

Is that directed towards me? LOL
How lame it is that some users have got nothing to do but go and rate albums just to get the album they like higher in ratings and belittle other albums just to see their favorite albums higher in some top/chart here on PA. Gotta be a great life just worrying about PA ratings. LOL
Is that what's going on. 

Rating abuse here on PA is nothing compared to a couple of other sites. This kind of abuse(rs) deserve the nuke. LOL
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 07:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

if this site had listened to me (aka Tsar Bomba) years ago..and just obliterated ratings altogehter..   there would be no nukes today.. only naked women, loud geetars, cheap dope American craft beer...

and good reviewers.. who write about albums.. not rate them

I missed that discussion! Something to think about--something I'd never considered. 

I would miss the lists. (It's just part of the way I'm wired:  Lists are everywhere in my life. Got it from my mom, grandfather, and great-grandfather. A long family tradition of list makers.)

But the absence of ratings . . . intriguing!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 09:50
Two more five stars added to Night Dreams & Wishes in the last three days--one every 36 hours--the ratings average just keeps on rising. 

It'll be a long haul, but, at this rate, it will over take Resistance in about 30 days--sooner if reviews are also posted.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 09:58
Pretty obvious rating abuse going on, all it takes is a single one star review bomb to set them back a bit LOLEmbarrassed
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by Christi Christi wrote:

It's weird, but then again someone just said the other day in a Pink Floyd thread that he thought A Momentary lapse of Reason is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon. Confused

That may have been me, although I definitely would never have used the word better, unless I said I liked it better. Objectively, I’m sure DSotM is a better album that AMLoR but subjectively when it comes to which album I prefer, I certainly like AMLoR considerably more than I do DSotM. In fact, there are almost more Pink Floyd albums I like more than DSoTM, than those I don’t.

But I would still give DSotM a 4/5 rating on PA, even if it’s only a 2/3 for me personally....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:29
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Christi Christi wrote:

It's weird, but then again someone just said the other day in a Pink Floyd thread that he thought A Momentary lapse of Reason is a better album than Dark Side of the Moon. Confused

That may have been me, although I definitely would never have used the word better, unless I said I liked it better. Objectively, I’m sure DSotM is a better album that AMLoR but subjectively when it comes to which album I prefer, I certainly like AMLoR considerably more than I do DSotM. In fact, there are almost more Pink Floyd albums I like more than DSoTM, than those I don’t.

But I would still give DSotM a 4/5 rating on PA, even if it’s only a 2/3 for me personally....

I don't know who this Christi guy is but i agree with him. LOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:39
Oops! I forgot, you’re not the Messiah - just a very naughty boy....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:47
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Oops! I forgot, you’re not the Messiah - just a very naughty boy....

LOL
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 21:17
Hmmm... this is rather suspicious.

5 star sweep for Karfagen and a few other artist and then a 1 star bomb drop for all of Mira Snelder's albums all tonight just after artist was added.

Oh since i first posted this a few minutes ago, the second album was changed to 2 stars.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - May 15 2021 at 21:28

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 01:56
It's interesting because Karfagen and Kalugin should have their pages moved to the Regressive Rock Archives. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 03:00
^ I can get behind this. Why can't Karfagen fans handle themselves? Of all the bands you can choose to worship and love dearly, they settle with the most middling and offensively bland modern prog act currently walking the earth.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 04:04
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ I can get behind this. Why can't Karfagen fans handle themselves? Of all the bands you can choose to worship and love dearly, they settle with the most middling and offensively bland modern prog act currently walking the earth.

Let me remind you that it's simply an opinion. ;p
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 05:16
Of course, but this repeat issue of fans regularly partaking in rating abuse to gouge the progarchives score is really baffling and bizarre to me. Anytime I see one of those Karfagen reviews start with "Antony has done it again...." I immediately don't take it seriously.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>