Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rating abuse??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 07:52
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Everybody has the right to review/rate an album.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 19:50
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Everybody has the right to review/rate an album.

Yeah but some people simply sweep rate an artist without actually listening to all the albums. Not sure what qualifies as rating abuse or not but i definitely don't mind shining a light on it.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 21:41
When someone has 95 percent of their ratings at 5 stars, the other 5 percent are 4 star, and suddenly comes along a couple of hours after an artist is added to drop 1 star ratings on them...that's just being a dick. Not sure what perspective that could be seen in any other light.

I don't think it has the scope to constitute abuse. We are generally looking for larger scale 5's and 1's. Whole genres and mammoth discographies.

Bringing into focus the reason I would rather review-less ratings not count in the artists score. But that's not for me to decide. 

Edited by Tapfret - May 16 2021 at 21:49
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 19:07
What about all those high ratings for the first Modern Rock Ensemble album that happened around the same time? It reminds me of what I've seen on amazon. It's hard for me to think these people really like that album and weren't just paid by the band to review it with a  high rating especially when some never rated anything before or since.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 01:44
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What about all those high ratings for the first Modern Rock Ensemble album that happened around the same time? It reminds me of what I've seen on amazon. It's hard for me to think these people really like that album and weren't just paid by the band to review it with a  high rating especially when some never rated anything before or since.

I'm wondering if the ratings feature should be restricted to maybe Forum Senior Members and higher?

I.E. make it an earned privilege, not an automatic right of membership... tho that could be dependent on whether the forum software would allow it.

Edited by Progishness - June 10 2021 at 10:49
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 05:52
Sometimes it comes in strange ways, this user gave two 5 star DT reviews to their two albums in the top 50, while 1 staring every album in close proximity in direct succession:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=73747

I know there isn't much to work with here, but it's pretty strange
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 05:59
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Sometimes it comes in strange ways, this user gave two 5 star DT reviews to their two albums in the top 50, while 1 staring every album in close proximity in direct succession:

I don't know if it's abuse but it's definitely strange. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 06:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

You noticed that too.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 12:41
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I'm wondering if the ratings feature should be restricted to maybe Forum Senior Members and higher?

I.E. make it an earned privilege, not an automatic right of membership... tho that could be dependent on whether the forum software would allow it.
This is the best suggestion that I've seen in years.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 12:43
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

It's the Internet and trolls are everywhere!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 01:22
I personally think the numeric rating feature should be removed for good, leaving only the review section (which will be text only, no stars).
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 09:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

This is the best suggestion that I've seen in years.

I like this idea, actually.  Not sure if it will catch on with other admins and collabs, but it's something to think about.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 13:21
People who abuse ratings and reviews should just be de-weighted, if you only know 1 stars and 5 stars for example, like Isaac Peretz. You shouldn't have to do homework to be able to use the site, all of these suggestions will discourage participation and kill the site.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:50
the new Dream Theater album that is supposed to be released in a month or so has already got 8 ratings. Disapprove
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 12:03
Thanks, Cristi.
All gone.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 22:12
Do I look like I killed his dog?
EDIT:
BTW the rating system on PA so fuсked up! It's too easy for a random asshоle to just bomb an album's average rating and give potential listeners the impression the album is utter garbage. >:(

Edited by Hrychu - November 28 2022 at 22:16
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 00:25

EDIT:
BTW the rating system on PA so fuсked up! It's too easy for a random asshоle to just bomb an album's average rating and give potential listeners the impression the album is utter garbage. >:(

it is more the a****le's fault in most cases and not the system's. 
You have to be more specific what is the abuse in his case. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 03:09

EDIT:

Someone did the same to me :/
The person responsible seems to have been banned since the ratings no longer show up when you check individual ratings, but they're still visible in the albums' overall rating.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 07:11
COLLAGE - Over and Out shows one five stars rating (Release Date: December 2).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 12:22

SUMMIT

Seven Impale

• 

Eclectic Prog

It already has ratings, to be released in a couple of weeks. Maybe it would be a good idea not to add albums so soon, that's an invitation for early ratings (and no one knows if it's abuse or that user has an early copy/promotion copy etc). 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>