Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

50's Monster Movies

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
3 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
1 [6.67%]
3 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50's Monster Movies
    Posted: October 19 2020 at 12:00
Another monster movie poll, this time from the 50's. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 12:08
Them is the best. I'll watch every time it's on. Creature from the Black Lagoon is good as well.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 12:45
The Thing (from Another World) is a surprisingly good film full of tension and suspense, as good as Carpenter's remake in many ways.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 13:01
Tarantula is the most memorable monster movie for me, mainly because it features Clint Eastwood in one of his first movie roles as a jet fighter pilot, fresh from hanging up his saddle in Rawhide. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 19 2020 at 13:02
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 13:45
Good poll. All good movies again, but for me it's The Thing.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 03:59
The Thing (1951)
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:33
Went with The Thing.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:45
Well I'll go with The Blob but The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Thing and Them could easily get my vote. Strong list per my tastes, and an interesting group to discuss. The Fly is very good, but I do prefer the remake (to me it's a near perfect film). Rather like with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, in this case the remake from 1978 trumps it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:50
the first one to come to mind is probably  the correct answer..

what said 50's horror films more than the dude from the Black Lagoon. 

Legend...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:58
^^ We watched both The Blob & Creature from the Black Lagoon the other night.( back to back I think) 
 Both movies are a lot of fun, plus The Blob helped launch Steve McQueen's career so there is that. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 12:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Well I'll go with The Blob but The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Thing and Them could easily get my vote. Strong list per my tastes, and an interesting group to discuss. The Fly is very good, but I do prefer the remake (to me it's a near perfect film). Rather like with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, in this case the remake from 1978 trumps it.

I don't like the remake of "The Fly"; it's an overblown FX-spectacle. I would probably vote for it but can't because Friede already voted for "Them", and since we share IP-address I can't vote too.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 13:37
Hi,

I have to pass on this one ... by this time (mid 60's on) I was already onto the big name directors as we had at home the books that had scripts from Fellini, Bergman, and a couple of others and I read them, and was interested in seeing those films, and that meant that some other stuff was not quite an interest for me.

I can't even tell you if I liked any of those films or not and not even sure I saw them.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 13:59
I love both versions of "The Fly", the original because David Hedison (then known as Al Hedison) was my first crush, and because I always loved Vincent Price, and the second for the acting, the infusion of HIV era paranoia, and the way that the main character views what is happening to him from a scientist's curiosity even though he realizes it can't end well
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 14:17
^ Yea, It was a cool concept . I think the remake fixed some of the problems by splicing the fly's genes in to the man rather then giving him a big goofy fly head. It somehow felt more plausible. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 14:21
I prefer the Fly remake, a character we really like and root for, and his tragic destruction.   I have a soft spot for Body Snatchers '78 as it captured S.F. perfectly at a great time in the city, and Sutherland is always superb.   But the original is also excellent with its original cut having no flashback or happy ending, just Kevin McCarthy in the road repeatedly yelling "You're next !!"

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 14:47
From that list The Thing......watched it just the other day.

Also.....
 Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Godzilla
Dracula (1958)

Edited by dr wu23 - October 29 2020 at 14:52
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 16:42
The Blob rules, cherry flavored jello eating teens and city folk.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 16:55
Not a 50s movie but Children Of The Damned (1960) is an all time favorite.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 05:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Not a 50s movie but Children Of The Damned (1960) is an all time favorite.

you probably mean "Village of the Damned", which is indeed excellent. "Children of the Damned" is the sequel from 1964.

another one that should be on the list is "Night of the Demon" from 1957. that one and "Village of the Damned" are 2 of the best horror movies ever

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 12:44
Just caught Spencer Tracy & Ingrid Bergman in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.   Not '50s but excellent.

Amazon.com: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1941) Movie Poster Fridge Magnet (1.5 x  4.5 inches): Kitchen & Dining

Post Reply Post Reply