Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend some avant prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:56
And another two other epics of them:

"A Trillion Sprods".

"The Octagonal Rabbit Surplus".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:09
If you're not looking for stuff that's too out there, these bands are relatively approachable in my opinion:

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:17
Thanks for the entries. More initial thoughts.

LTE - Used to love them, not so much anymore. Avant?? More metal with the how many notes can we fit in a measure vibe.
The Deep Freeze Mice - Very 60's sounding epic songs. Not my thing. "The Octagonal Rabbit Surplus" is the opposite of what I'm looking for.
Salle Gaveau - Like it. Classical/jazzy feel.
Wha Ha Ha - Extremely out there. Pass.
Harpy - Odd yet fun short song. Can't say I enjoy the singer.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:27
Have you heard Alamaailman Vasarat?  They have a fun folky avant sound.  Might be too out there, but here is an example.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:51

The following is classified as RIO/Avant-Prog but sounds like jazz to me, although it may be too avant for Jazz Rock/Fusion:

Hermann Szobel - Mr. Softee

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have you heard Alamaailman Vasarat?  They have a fun folky avant sound.  Might be too out there, but here is an example.

Great add! ClapClap
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 03:27
Gosta Berlings Saga - Konkret Musik (Sweden/2020). Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

The following is classified as RIO/Avant-Prog but sounds like jazz to me, although it may be too avant for Jazz Rock/Fusion:

Hermann Szobel - Mr. Softee

I dunno if I call it avant prog, but this is a great record however you categorise it. From what I remember Szobel is a bit of an enigma - rolled into New York, recorded one killer album, then vanished from the radar never to surface again.  A great shame.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 23 2020 at 03:38
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 03:44
John Zorn - although I think it was already suggested.
But also, Far Corner and Univers Zero
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 03:53
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I posted a track from one of Zorn's Abraxas albums. But Zorn's oeuvre is of course vast, and even that part of it which can reasonably be called "avant prog" contains a diversity of styles and approaches. Which is my excuse to post something else, from his Simulacrum trio Wink

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:42
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I posted a track from one of Zorn's Abraxas albums. But Zorn's oeuvre is of course vast, and even that part of it which can reasonably be called "avant prog" contains a diversity of styles and approaches. Which is my excuse to post something else, from his Simulacrum trio Wink

Cool
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 01:40
I know I kind of missed the boat but just saw this topic (hadn;t been on the site much since October).

I know that RIO was discounted, but for one who likes Zappa and French TV, Samla Maamas Manna might be up the right alley (this is from before the band joined RIO, but they were one of the original six in the first festival and are a core RIO band).

And Frogg Cafe as rather avant and heavily influenced by Zappa, methinks you probably know it. No matter how well it fits (not a very avant choice, but because I think you might well dig this):

And Miriodor is another that I think could well fit very well. This is a live from the latest album (recommended):

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 02:08
This is still/will always be the top of the avant prog heap for me. Once it clicks, all other avant makes sense in its servitude to the great Trout Mask Replica:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 07:58
"Across the Universe of Languages" by the band B for Bang. They were rejected by the RIO/Avant team of the archives (which in my opinion was unjustified).

Here two examples:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12