Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weirdest time signatures in traditional prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 08:54
There are lots of odd time signatures on Khan's "Space Shanty"; anything from 5/4 up to 13/8.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Time changes should be, IMO, almost unnoticeable it should flow and unless you listen to count you probably don't hear it happening. There is some weird stuff out there and its weird because I think the artist is on purpose playing in odd time....trying too hard, where it does not flow. For example the Tipographica is good example that sounds like a dogs breakfast.

Tons of Genesis songs move in and out of odd and even, usually 4/4, 5/4 to 7/8. Rush Jacob's Ladder runs 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 then into 6/8 and 7/8, in this case the song flows in an excellent manner. Again if you count you will find odd times not just is prog, but its everywhere including the much hated pop genre.

The song by Roman Bunka that I posted definitely flows.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:10
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Zappa created some eye-watering time signatures. 

I remember Pye Hastings of Caravan talking about playing and recording with The New Sinfonia Orchastra. Some of the classical musicians were utterly baffled by the time signatures LOL

Hi,

And the story goes that they did not want to do the encore because of the money ... not included! So Pye flicked them off and took the band to the encore and the orchestra decided to show up! 

It's a great album ... and not appreciated by folks that know music "better" for doing something that at the time, only The Moody Blues had actually done it, though one could not say that it was "prog" or "progressive" in any form, but Caravan's ability and quality of musicianship made the orchestra look good!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

ugh! math rock!

Hi,

I was just thinking that ... it's now about the math and not the music. When you are dreaming away, and flying with the music, who gives a flying fudge what signature it is?

Obviously only poor musicians that don't know how to get out of the score and the sheet with the music!

Sorry ... that's not progressive at all ... in fact, it reeks of something else in music ... academic classicism!

Edited by moshkito - October 21 2020 at 09:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Zappa created some eye-watering time signatures. 

I remember Pye Hastings of Caravan talking about playing and recording with The New Sinfonia Orchastra. Some of the classical musicians were utterly baffled by the time signatures LOL

Hi,

And the story goes that they did not want to do the encore because of the money ... not included! So Pye flicked them off and took the band to the encore and the orchestra decided to show up! 

It's a great album ... and not appreciated by folks that know music "better" for doing something that at the time, only The Moody Blues had actually done it, though one could not say that it was "prog" or "progressive" in any form, but Caravan's ability and quality of musicianship made the orchestra look good!

Absolutely agree. Also, it was arranged by Simon Jeffes of Penguin Cafe Orchestra fame who created (in my view) some incredible music. Not sure what genre you'd put PCO in though Geek
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:27

ugh! math rock!

Hi,

I was just thinking that ... it's now about the math and not the music. When you are dreaming away, and flying with the music, who gives a flying fudge what signature it is?

Obviously only poor musicians that don't know how to get out of the score and the sheet with the music!

Sorry ... that's not progressive at all ... in fact, it reeks of something else in music ... academic classicism!

Hello, the thread is about time signatures. What did you expect people to post here? 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 11:55
Sometimes the artistry comes from how the time signatures work mathematically. You don't have to do everything by "feel." For many, the "feel" comes from the novelty of the numbers. Art comes in all forms, it's a reflection of life. Sometimes, life is about emotions, and other times, it involves ordered patterns, equations, forms, etc. So I'm sure math rockers wouldn't appreciate an attack on their art. It is every bit as valid as dreaming away music. And don't me started on Jazz. The best Jazz artists practiced for hours on the numbers and the math that comes with tonality, scales, chords, key signatures, chromaticism, etc. Only then could they do it effortlessly by feel. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 11:56
And yes: ZAPPA. That is the answer.

Check out any photos you can find of his scores. The orchestra members were always baffled.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 12:01
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

16/8 in Firth of Fifth.

I think you mean 13/8. 16/8 is just another kind of 4, not unusual. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 13:19
If you consider J/F traditional enough, here's a quote from Rick Laird of Mahavishnu Orchestra: "Technically speaking, it took a long time to get into time signatures because of conditioning and also the lack of experience in playing them. I always felt stiff. Someone would say let’s play something in 5/4 or 7, which always gave me a very traumatic, uptight sort of conscious experience. But now it’s becoming natural; it’s becoming like you don’t even count any more. It’s very stimulating. You really learn to love 7’s, 9’s, 11’s, 17’s, 19’s, opening up whole new avenues of ways of playing.” — Rick Laird, as quoted in a 1973 DownBeat article.

I don't remember the track, and don't have the time to look it up, but I believe one of their songs is 15/16. Birds of Fire is listed as 18/8.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 16:24
I would say The Crunge by Led Zeppelin. Not the most complex song around, but you have to give them credit for trying to make their own James Brown song in a weird, lopsided 9/8 time signature. I know they're technically "prog-related", but come on, Houses of The Holy is basically a prog album.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I would say The Crunge by Led Zeppelin. Not the most complex song around, but you have to give them credit for trying to make their own James Brown song in a weird, lopsided 9/8 time signature. I know they're technically "prog-related", but come on, Houses of The Holy is basically a prog album.

Yep. Nothing says prog with lyrics like "you told your mama I'd get you home but you didn't say I had no car." Tongue Prog fans must love to dance right? 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 18:00
Don't know crap about time sigs but this song immediately came to mind.....
Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 18:24
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

ugh! math rock!

Hi,

Hello, the thread is about time signatures. What did you expect people to post here? 

Hi,

More information that most people don't know, or feel, or understand since they don't play.

Also, it is a fact that a lot of those "changes" are often an accidental mistake, and not devised on paper or actually composed ... so people thinking that those are there for important reasons, is not a good likely choice, although some musicians are very good at making use of those moments. 

It's the same in theater and film ... an adlib slips by and IT FITS ... and makes the piece better. It actually makes it "more real" for all of us!

Go listen to the birds. Go listen to the ocean ... the signatures change all the time, and no one says anything ... meaning that in this case some are not listening to the music ... they are breaking it down instead! 

They are missing the point in music altogether!
www.pedrosena.com
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 22:49
There was a point made about time changes flowing naturally no matter what signature you wind up in, and I tend to agree with that as a value. However, I do think it can be very fun to listen to music with passages that go out of their way to get into weird times and use weird chords and melodies. A lot of Dream Theater songs have these absurd breakdowns in the middle where you can tell they're showing off, but it works because you can tell they're all having a blast (and it doesn't last too long). Even if I can't tap my foot along, just trying to find the beat and anticipate when the next hit is going to come can be really fun, especially in shorter passages that eventually lead back to something more natural. So I guess I'm saying there are definitely valid artistic reasons to writing in strange times for the sake of writing in strange times, but one has to be careful to make it sound convincing or else it just comes off as overly indulgent.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 23:31
Two of my favorite Zappa songs - both from Joe's Garage - feature unusual time signatures.

Very characteristic lead guitar play, much to adore if you're into guitar. 9/4 says the internet, and my amateurish count confirms it.

Ohh this is even quirkier imo, time signature is hypnotizing, 11/8 in your face Tongue

Edited by thief - October 21 2020 at 23:32
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 23:38

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

ugh! math rock!

Hi,

Hi,

More information that most people don't know, or feel, or understand since they don't play.

Also, it is a fact that a lot of those "changes" are often an accidental mistake, and not devised on paper or actually composed ... so people thinking that those are there for important reasons, is not a good likely choice, although some musicians are very good at making use of those moments. 

It's the same in theater and film ... an adlib slips by and IT FITS ... and makes the piece better. It actually makes it "more real" for all of us!

Go listen to the birds. Go listen to the ocean ... the signatures change all the time, and no one says anything ... meaning that in this case some are not listening to the music ... they are breaking it down instead! 

They are missing the point in music altogether!

Would you please cite several sources to prove those were mistakes? Why do you know what the "point" is? Even if it wasn't written on paper, what makes it not "composed"? I wouldn't doubt that this was the case sometimes for some artists, especially earlier on, but to try to assert how many of them were seems like an impossible feat. Show me the evidence. And if you're trying to say that many artists these days try too hard and do it intentionally, so they're "missing the point" of the art form, I would say that's a very narrow view point that seems to be more informed by intuition rather than music theory and history.

What we can prove is that Schizoid Man was one of the earliest intentional attempts at creating something complicated, including rhythmically. Fripp said they it couldn't sound like anything done before. "If it was simple, it was out." The rhythm is inextricable from the feel. As a musician, and a prog and jazz musician at that, I can tell you that sometimes I write what I hear in my head. Other times I actually try for interesting concepts, and that might end up being an attempt at some weird sigs. I am expressing myself, just as the Yes did on CTTE, as Zappa did in everything he wrote, and GG, and Haken when they were inspired by GG.

Regardless if it came organically when writing with my partner, or if we crafted it to sound complicated, it comes out as we INTENDED. Art can be interpreted differently by different people, but the best musicians aren't trying to please anyone but themselves. So what if math rockers want to transcribe pi or e or whatever irrational number, or wants to use a fibonacci sequence? They aren't missing the point, they're MAKING the point.

If you don't want to "break it down," then fine. But some of us do, and want to learn from it. How to play it, how to write it. How to express it in groupings, how to describe it to someone else. How to come together as a group and play it. This is valid. If you want to call me an academic, go ahead. But I'll be having more fun losing myself to the feel THROUGH the numbers, rather than in spite of, while you complain.

Edited by Awesoreno - October 21 2020 at 23:45
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 23:40
On the subject of Joe's Garage, the weirdest part is in Keep It Greasey, in which the guitar solo is backed by the rhythm section playing in 19.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 00:25
My kind of thread! Big smile" Money" is just the tippy top of the odd time sig ice burg, lol.

Gentle Giant Cogs in Cogs is something like 11/8, Knots is similar, the main rock riff from IAGH is like 19/8, lol.

The pinnacle of jarring time signatures will always be found in the golden era of tech/extreme prog, of which I'll provide precise examples when I'm not on mobile.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 00:35
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Two of my favorite Zappa songs - both from Joe's Garage - feature unusual time signatures.

Very characteristic lead guitar play, much to adore if you're into guitar. 9/4 says the internet, and my amateurish count confirms it.

Ohh this is even quirkier imo, time signature is hypnotizing, 11/8 in your face Tongue

video unavailable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>