Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VOLA for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xymph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOLA for Crossover Prog
    Posted: October 21 2020 at 06:02
VOLA was formed in 2006 in Denmark's capitol Copenhagen, and currently consists of Asger Mygind (vocals/guitar), Martin Werner (keys), Nicolai Mogensen (bass) and Adam Janzi (drums). The band explores "a mix of 70's style progressive rock, electronica, industrial and metal, topped off with clear, beautiful vocal lines."

https://www.volaband.com/
https://volaband.bandcamp.com/
Band image on https://www.volaband.com/pages/bio (jpg)

Note: I'm not much of a writer (about a band I don't know much about) nor a subgenre connoisseur, hence the minimal bio and a wild guess for the subgenre. Hope you experts can figure it out. :)

Edited by Xymph - October 21 2020 at 09:32
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 06:23
rejected twice already 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 06:26
I know their latest album "Applause Of A Distant Crowd", that sounds not of Crossover but of metal blended with art and brutal. As Cristi says, Prog-Metal Team have rejected them twice already so it's quite tough for them to be cleared.
Xymph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xymph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:33
I searched and didn't find any previous topics with the name of the band or their latest album, hence the unintentional repost.

The genre guide lists prog-metal with example bands that (to me) sound far different from Vola, so maybe another team should review it (IMHO). To me their music certainly fits on PA, and your processes seem elaborate and not easy to understand for a relative newbie like myself. But I guess one has to draw the line somewhere.

Edited by Xymph - October 21 2020 at 09:34
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 06:56
Of course VOLA were rejected by the progressive metal team as they are not PM. But they should have been moved to the crossover team for evaluation in my humble opinion.

They are definitely crossover prog, IMO. Lend them over to that team and let's see Wink They have a new album 'Witness' out.

Btw, VOLA were suggested by me back in 2018, see http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116520&KW=vola&PID=5615132#5615132 

Edited by earlyprog - May 25 2021 at 07:56
black_diamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote black_diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 02:38
The new album is out and it sounds a lot like Voyager and a bit like Devin 
Worth checking out https://volaband.bandcamp.com/album/witness

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 03:57
VOLA are definitely prog to my ears, and I’ve been a fan since their debut album. (That is, I’m not OG, because I know others were already fans long before that - and it was one of those older fans that turned me onto the band when they released InMazes.) I long ago stopped worrying about whether or not a band is in PA, as it’s hardly indicative of whether or not a band is prog. Part of the problem with PA is that too much attention is paid to whether or not something fits into a neat little box, and prog often doesn’t. That’s why you see ping pong games between genre teams, where collaborators agree that something is prog, but not the right fit for their particular genre. That’s why you see bands fall through the cracks.

It’s also why I don’t care particularly if a band or artist appears in PA under a genre that seems odd. Better they are here at all, than worry about why they are where they are (eg the recent discussion about Vangelis). Most progressive web review sites probably would refer to VOLA as prog metal, but I can definitely understand why the prog metal team here might have rejected them. Do I think they are prog metal? In terms of PA, maybe experimental/post at a push. But they don’t easily fit the criteria we are meant to judge by. But personally, yes, I would call them prog metal if I had to call them something. I have their new album to review for TPA, so this is a timely reminder that I need to go back and listen to it some more.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 04:18
this band has been suggested at least twice as i know. The prog metal team sent them to crossover. But they are too heavy for crossover and too light for prog metal. LOL
But I do think they would fit more into prog metal, they're djenty in places after all. 

Edited by Cristi - May 26 2021 at 04:20
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 04:47
Should we go for third time lucky? I’d give them a yes, and it sounds like you might, too? 🤷🏻‍♂️

black_diamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black_diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 08:09
The last album is pretty heavy :)
Perhaps Heavy Prog?
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 09:23

Vola added to progressive metal..

Edited by TCat - June 24 2021 at 10:17

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 12:17
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Vola added to progressive metal..

Good call Clap
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 14:01
Third time’s the charm! 😄

Post Reply Post Reply