Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hip Hop/Rap, it can be great!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hip Hop/Rap, it can be great!
    Posted: October 21 2020 at 17:51
So I know prog might be the exact opposite of Hip Hop, but being a broad music fan, I love it all! I wan't to make this thread to and talk and share some Hip Hop tracks/albums some of you may really be in to and maybe... just possibly change some folks views on the genre. Now, I know for some of you even the utterance of the words "Hip Hop" make your skin crawl, and if that's the case, this thread isn't for you, goodbye! I don't want to hear your Ben Shapiro "Rap isnt music" talking points either. There's gonna be vulgar language, but keep an open mind, it's part of the art.

Anyways, for some of the open minded folk here, here's a couple songs I love. This first one i'd consider Hip Hop adjacent as its more in the Neo-Soul/Funk, Psychedelic Soul genre while boasting many elements of modern music and hip hop. Gives me Pink Floyd and King Crimson vibes, give it a shot:

Childish Gambino - Me and Your Mama

If you like that, the rest of the album is fantastic as well!

Now this next one is by an artist named Kendrick Lamar, this is the opening track to his 2015 release To Pimp a Butterfly which Rateyourmusic rates as the 8th best album of all time and I cant argue. He has a very unique voice and all around, his ability is just unparalleled to me. It's a very unique and compelling concept album covering a wide variety of different social topics.  He talks about him going back to his old city where he grew up (Compton) after breaking through and experiencing fame with his previous album (which I also love). He relays his experience of feeling out of place and shunned upon his return. However, he also covers a multitude of topics such as racial violence (Police violence, racism, black on black violence, etc). So here is the opening track, I recommend any music fan gives this album a few spins and perhaps even read into it as it's a great piece of music and a sonic treat (with lots of jazz influence as well!)

Kendrick Lamar - Wesley's Theory

This next one is called A BOY IS A GUN - By Tyler the Creator. This is from his 2019 release IGOR and it's one of my favorite albums of the year. The whole thing is covered with beautiful instrumental textures and infectious hooks. I feel bad picking a song from the album, cause it's a great cohesive piece of music that fits comfortably on a single LP (it's usually pretty cheap on amazon too!) A lot of this actually isn't really hip hop as some tracks don't even have rapping as it seamlessly blends that style with neo-soul and R&B etc. This is one of the more Hip Hop-centric tracks

Tyler The Creator - A BOY IS A GUN

Since i've covered exclusively albums from the last decade, here's one from the 2000s. I think Kanye is a pretty annoying and generally bad person now, but he made some genre defining albums in his heyday. This is the opening track to his debut album "the college dropout" and it was one of the first hip hop tracks I really got hooked on. Love this cut:

Kanye West - We Don't Care

Give these songs a shot and let me know what you think!

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 21 2020 at 18:03
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 18:15
To Pimp a Butterfly is good, but most of my favorite hip-hop is from the late 80s; Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, Ice T etc. I'm partial to the looped James Brown beats.

Edited by Easy Money - October 22 2020 at 17:36
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 18:16
No.....any "great" rap ended when Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five stopped
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 18:21
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

To Pimp a Butterfly was good, but most of my favorite hip-hop is from the late 80s; Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, Ice T etc. I'm partial to the looped James Brown beats.

All great stuff, i'm a little more partial to hip hop from the last decade myself, as i've grown up with it around me. It's exciting, I wasn't around during the prog renaissance but I am in the midst of some fantastic hip hop coming out and i'm not letting myself sleep through this one! Smile
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 16:23
Rap pretty much ended for me when Biggie died.  By the way, the plastic crown made famous when worn by Biggie, just sold at Sotheby’s Auction House for $600,000.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 16:44
I don't know what it is, but to me 90s rap is like the 60s for prog. There's great stuff, but I feel like the ceiling got a lot higher in the following decades
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 16:47
Of course it can be great. Like with most other genres there's a lot of assembly line music in rap, but there is so much else. It's not a genre I listen to very much, and some of it does actually put me off somewhat, mainly because of the tough guy attitudes and the sometimes rather sexist lyrics. But then, the latter could also be said about several Rolling Stones songs (e.g. "Under My Thumb"), and I admit I really enjoy the Stones. Thankfully, not all rap is like that. And nor is all rock music.

My favourite Danish rap act is probably Malk de Koijn. Notice the subtle production. The lyrics are actually rather "far out" and quirky if you understand them:

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 16:51
i really like the Wu-Tang Clan
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 17:35
If we can do Danish, we can do German and Italian too. Hamburg's Deichkind are quite unique and do incredible videos, if maybe not everyone's cup of tea. (Richtig gutes Zeug = seriously cool stuff; this is on the obsession to buy the coolest hippest stuff)

They also wrote this one and got together half of German's hip hoppers and some others to do this. It has the genius title "Selber machen lassen" meaning something like "let it do yourself" - as they did:

And here's Caparezza, "I can't allow for that":

Edited by Lewian - October 22 2020 at 17:36
 Post Reply Post Reply