Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep
    Posted: October 22 2020 at 04:27
Well, with this highly anticipated 5th album from Wobbler seeing it's release tomorrow, I figured i'd start a thread to discuss our general thoughts and impressions of it. My preorder will be here today so i'll make sure to post pictures of the LP when it arrives and also give my first thoughts. The two singles both have been excellent so i'm pumped!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 18:52

Wow, own listen deep and this is one DENSE and layered album. I think it’s their best from a production standpoint, but it’s going to take a few more listens to fully digest. Favorite track is By The Banks as of now.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:34
Certainly need to digest this album for some time. First impressions are positive. Naiad Dreams feels a bit weaker than the twinner on FSTS (Rendered In Shades Of Green), but fortunately that is also the shorter intermission and not overly important.

A sequence that caught my ear on the second playthrough was in the second half of Merry Macabre where the percussion and guitar is playing in tandem. Brought a big old smile to my face.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:50
Has it been released already?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:54
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Has it been released already?

yes.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 07:10
Those interested in can hear the whole thing on BC:

On a first listening I have the same feeling I usually have about Wobbler: superbly done of its kind, but not really my bag.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 23 2020 at 07:11
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Those interested in can hear the whole thing on BC:

On a first listening I have the same feeling I usually have about Wobbler: superbly done of its kind, but not really my bag.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. They've never really done much for me either.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

[QUOTE=Mascodagama]Those interested in can hear the whole thing on BC:

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. They've never really done much for me either.
[ /QUOTE]  

As i haven`t listened to it yet i shall leave my judgement of it till i have. But i personally extremely enjoy the other four albums... 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:01
The album just was released today. It is currently PA 's top release of 2020 with a 4.61 rating. Really??? Seems to be a repeat of last years highly overrated IQ release.

I have listened to the album on bandcamp with earbuds. Can't give an opinion on the audio quality. Anyway it's decent maybe 3.5 stars. First two songs work the best for me. I don't like the singers voice.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:11
I enjoy their music once in a while, they do very competent retro prog (and this one is no exception), but I never really connected with their music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:12
^ That IQ release was painfully overrated, as is this years Pendragon. I'm finding Dwellers to be a grower as these songs place a greater emphasis on textures and fitting countless twisting passages in each song. Now with that said, i'm going to hold out on writing a review for it until i'm very comfortable and familiar with the album, this happens with any new release. The fans come out with the 5 star ratings/reviews and it shoots to the top with a small sample size, I wouldn't sweat it. I could def see this being AOTY though and I anticipate it staying at or near the top. Now with that said, i'm still digesting this album, particularly the closing epic. As of now i'd agree that the first two songs, especially By The Banks, are the best.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 23 2020 at 09:12
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:46
That some newly released albums soar past 4.5 is not uncommon, but that's often the fans giving it high ratings early on. Once more numbers come in, albums drop down.

One issue with ratings is that it is used to compare albums from the 70's with albums of 2020. Some probably find IQs Resistance to be on level with some great albums from the 70's, while others think it's a great album, but not on that level. Yet both might give it a 5.

A comparable situation is exams. In many cases, the examiners give grades relative to the collective answers given that year. The best grades are given to the best answers, but they would perhaps be rated lower if compared to a collection of answers from the last three years. This might affect how we rate music too. The musical output the last 10 years has been very different from what was released from 1970 to 1980, and when we listen to From Silence To Somewhere, Resistance, Love Over Fear etc., do we compare it to other albums of the same year or recent years, or to the entire catalogue going back to the 60's? The descriptive text for the ratings are the same for every album, but it may not be something everyone consider. I don't think people are that used to ratings having a description, so the best albums of a year are given 5, without comparing them to the traditionally highest ranked albums.

In the case of Resistance, it currently has a rating of 4.16.

Description of the ratings:
5 Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music (41%)
4 Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection (27%)

41% gives it a 5, 27% a 4. On average, it's slightly above an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection. I can't say that is wrong, because it's just data, statistics. What may give the data inaccurate results are how each person rate an album and how much though is given into it. It is what it is and in the end it's just a number that doesn't tell you anything about how you like the album. Like it or it not.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:49
I listened to the first two tracks on bandcamp....good solid Wobbler...but I'm still absorbing the last one,, even after all this time ..and to be honest my favorite is still Rites At Dawn.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 13:35
Wow, Merry Macabre has really grown on me. 16:45 might just be the coolest thing they've ever done.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 14:41
I'll listen on bandcamp later tonight, but unless it's true ass I don't see a scenario where I don't buy. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 15:18
^No one should listen to "true ass". 
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 22:19
Haven't listened to it yet, but it's going to be listened to tomorrow. Probably my most anticipated record of the year.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 03:52
I don't think you find too many that would describe it as "true ass".

I'm liking it a lot, but still hold FSTS higher so far. Not that it means DOTD is true ass. While FSTS is a 5, DOTD is so far perhaps 4-4.5.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 09:28
Thoughts so far: This album is ridiculously good, but obviously falls short compared to their previous effort, which is well... simply a progressive rock masterpiece. Let's go for a few listens and I'll have the breakdown here.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:21
It's a lovely album which sounds just like all their previous lovely albums. 
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>