Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eloy in German?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eloy in German?
    Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:50
Hi, I know that almost all of their stuff is in English, however can anyone find any songs or epics from them in German?

If not, does anyone know why Eloy generally never sung in German?  Just out of curiosity.

Edited by exoticprog - October 22 2020 at 08:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by exoticprog exoticprog wrote:

Hi, I know that almost all of their stuff is in English, however can anyone find any songs or epics from them in German?

If not, does anyone know why Eloy generally never sung in German?

a lot of German bands sang in English. They could play to a wider audience, play abroad. 
Some sang in both languages (Anyonre's Daughter i.e.)
exoticprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 08:56
I know that, I am just saying that if no one can find any songs from them in German, I would just like to know why Eloy in particular never ever sung in German.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 09:02

I know that, I am just saying that if no one can find any songs from them in German, I would just like to know why Eloy in particular never ever sung in German.

you could easily check out their discography page and see for yourself.
As far as I know, they've always sung in English. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you could easily check out their discography page and see for yourself.
As far as I know, they've always sung in English. 

With an horrible accent too. Most singers of German bands who sing in English have only a very slight accent, but the accent of Frank Bornemann of Eloy is quite pronounced.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 11:15
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

With an horrible accent too. Most singers of German bands who sing in English have only a very slight accent, but the accent of Frank Bornemann of Eloy is quite pronounced.

LOL Always thought that too. Fortunately the rest was sufficiently appreciable to forget the accent! I have (listened to) all their studio efforts and as far as I remember they never sang in German. Probably both an artistic as well as a "commercial" choice.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 11:22
On a related note, he did a video in French for the last album and I was impressed that he spoke French very well, much better than his English.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 14:56
The DVD retrospective of their career shows Frank being interviewed in German but that's about it.

I believe that the nature of their music (very hard edged and sci-fi based) calls for a harder vocal sound. It works well and has never put me off.
 Post Reply Post Reply