Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New discovery for me - After Crying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New discovery for me - After Crying
    Posted: October 22 2020 at 14:54
My son sent me a text message yesterday, saying, "Dad - check out 'Overground Music' (1990) by After Crying."

Well, it became one of those rare albums I bought immediately, even before I had finished listening to the full recording.  They're not a band I had heard of before; Hungarian band, very original compositions, mostly on traditional classical instruments (but some synth, guitar, drums here and there).

Anyway, I'm excited to have discovered a new (to me) band that just blows me away and has a big discography for me to investigate!

Any other After Crying fans here?

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 22 2020 at 14:55
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:12
Never head of them but checked on Amazon and you can still either buy it or the option to stream it. I'll have a listen when I get a chance. The one review compares them to the romantic side of ELP with an eclectic performance a la King Crimson. The fact that it was released in 1990 is interesting in itself to me. Not a lot was happening then!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:18
Are you kidding me? After Crying is great. Sort of a cross between Solaris, King Crimson and ELP. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:21
Don't know much about them but I have a live one  called Struggle For Life (2000) Wetton plays and sings on Starless which they do a cover of as the last track on the cd.
Decent stuff but it never grabbed me very hard.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Never head of them but checked on Amazon and you can still either buy it or the option to stream it. I'll have a listen when I get a chance. The one review compares them to the romantic side of ELP with an eclectic performance a la King Crimson. The fact that it was released in 1990 is interesting in itself to me. Not a lot was happening then!

You won't regret the listening!

I'd have to disagree with the reviewer... ELP and KC comparisons don't work (in my opinion) with this band.  I'd compare their compositions more to Gentle Giant, but with entirely different instrumentation.  I don't know... it's a tough one.  They have a very original/unique sound.  I am impressed, I can't wait to hear more of them.  I'm currently listening through their album "Creatura" and it's blowing my mind too. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:24
^Listen to the live one I mentioned ...it has a high rating.
Haquin
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Listen to the live one I mentioned ...it has a high rating.

I certainly will.  Thanks!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:43

From the live cd....
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 15:49
I was luck enough to be turned on to this band through the usenet newsgroups of the 90's.
Top notch discography for sure.

Here is my After Crying Assorted CD I made for the car;

1. Manticore Érkezése I
2. Manticore Érkezése II
3.Rondo
4.Cisz-Dór Koncertetüd
5.Júdás
6.Bevezetés
7.Modern Idők
8.Az Üstökös (Rondo II)
9.Stalker
10.Stonehenge
11.Kisvasút
12.Esküszegők
13.Conclusion (Live)

Edited by JD - October 22 2020 at 15:49
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 16:50
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I was luck enough to be turned on to this band through the usenet newsgroups of the 90's.
Top notch discography for sure.

Here is my After Crying Assorted CD I made for the car;

1. Manticore Érkezése I
2. Manticore Érkezése II
3.Rondo
4.Cisz-Dór Koncertetüd
5.Júdás
6.Bevezetés
7.Modern Idők
8.Az Üstökös (Rondo II)
9.Stalker
10.Stonehenge
11.Kisvasút
12.Esküszegők
13.Conclusion (Live)

Yeah, they were talked about quite a bit back then on there along with Par Lindh Project, Solaris, Isildur's Bane and all the other usual suspects. I was lucky enough to see them at Nearfest (in 2000 I think). They put on a great show. 

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 03:30
I had one album called, if I remember, 6. But I prefer these bands from Hungary: Solaris, Special Providence and D Sound.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:03
I have four albums by them. My favorites are 6, Show, and kNowleDGE. De Profundis didn't really capture my ears like the other three, but it's a good album too.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 10:50
Stylistically, After Crying are all over the place, even on the same album, so comparing them to KC or GG or someone else is a waste of time and misleading. I recommend that a new listener, such as ProfPanglos, listen to samples before buying to better understand their wide-ranging styles.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 10:58
I'll have to look.....I think I have one of their albums, not sure which thou.
 Post Reply Post Reply