Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asia - Alpha is the most popular album right now?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asia - Alpha is the most popular album right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:39
If it's not a glitch, does the owner use some kind of website analytics tools that will tell you where the traffic came from? 

Maybe a social media post that linked to Asia - Alpha from somebody who has a lot of followers? That seems hard to imagine, but who knows? 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:47
this is so funny...
any other prog album posted there, everyone is fine...
a not so popular album there, everyone is annoyed, wondering or freaking out... LOL
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

this is so funny...
a not so popular album there, everyone is annoyed, wondering or freaking out... LOL

I've just been freaked out because I happened to enter your profile, only to see that you've been thanked 666 times as of now.

Oh Lord, save us from Cristi! Sick
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

this is so funny...

I've just been freaked out because I happened to enter your profile, only to see that you've been thanked 666 times as of now.

Oh Lord, save us from Cristi! Sick

LOL
thanks for mentioning this, this is hilarious. I'm gonna check it out. LOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:28
^ Oh, well, just to get you out of this devilish plot, thank you Cristi! Approve

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:30

this is so funny...

No, just strange because that wouldn't have appeared in that in 1983! The randomness of it is perplexing

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:33
Regarding Asia, I think, as most of us here apparently, that their self-titled debut is their best. Alpha is not bad, but more slick and AOR and less original than the debut album. And it only got worse afterwards. I never got into the Payne-period of Asia and was also disappointed by the original line-up resurrection album Phoenix (didn't incite me either to listen to the subsequent Omega album, maybe I should give it a try...).

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:35
Don't know how as The Smile Has Left Your Eyes is its best, which ain't saying much.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Oh, well, just to get you out of this devilish plot, thank you Cristi! Approve

Thank you Lord. You've redeemed Cristi's soul and delivered us from evil. Ying Yang

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 23 2020 at 12:42
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:47
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thank you Lord. You've redeemed Cristi's soul and delivered us from evil. Ying Yang

LOL You're welcome. Wished that everything would be that simple. Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:48
^ You've 2 wishes left. Evil Smile
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:56
The weird thing is I was listening to Asia debut album just the other day and really enjoyed it as lot it's a great album .. then this happens , I may have contributed to it happening as I love the album cover. Tongue
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 13:04
I have seen this sort of thing happen before. Who's Next popped up once, and I vaguely remember Kind of Blue. The algorithm apparently only notices albums listed on this site no matter the genre. Old hits can come back to the charts - I read the Fleetwood Mac's Rumours hit the pop chart big time recently. Unless the algorithm is modified, prepare for this to happen again. Personally, I find it interesting. Geek

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 14:26
I listen to it all the time.....What's wrong with it!!??

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 14:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I listen to it all the time.....What's wrong with it!!??

Nothing wrong with it, it was weird how it was the most popular album on the website (not anymore), as this slot is usually occupied either by new releases or re-releases.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 14:51
^ Ohh I understand, there have been several albums that you go WTF!! Due to a few people clicking on the same album page....It does not take much to do that.
Last time I saw The Astonishing it was circling around in my toilet....then it was gone.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:15
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Don't know how as The Smile Has Left Your Eyes is its best, which ain't saying much.

actually a very underrated song imo. I saw a live version performed by Noddy's Puncture (ELP and Asia tribute band) about 20 years ago and made a point of thanking the keyboard player after the gig. Wetton's solo version is also very lovely . That and The Heat Goes On are the only decent tracks on the album though. It caused a split in the band which resulted in Wetton leaving, temporarily being replaced by Greg Lake before in the end Wetton returned and Howe left instead.

The comeback album Phoenix was a great album. I remember being in a very packed Shepherds Bush Empire when the original line up got back together in the 00's , they played the whole of the debut album ,which is what most people where there for or course.

Edited by richardh - October 24 2020 at 02:17
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 07:11
Agreed on Phoenix. The band did it right on that one.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 07:29
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Agreed on Phoenix. The band did it right on that one.

I gave up after Astra. That was enough Asia for me but i might give this one a shot if i ever see it in a discount bin.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 07:38
The Payne era always gets overlooked for some reason. Never understood why... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>