Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie here
    Posted: October 23 2020 at 05:53
Hello! I am new, both to the forums and prog rock music. I'm a rather young person (I'm 16) who has been a lot into music a lot lately, of course, prog rock music. I've always been a fan of rock n' roll and pop stuff from the 70's and 80's. But last year, I had this math teacher whose teen years were passed during the late 1960's and early 1970's, and we often would talk about music during our "lounge" moments during the classes.

First of all it's important to state I already knew some prog rock bands (Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes and Supertramp, mainly) before meeting him, because my mom listens to radio a lot (and she likes rock from the 80's, but obviously knows a bit about the 70's stuff too). But I didn't know they were "prog rock" bands, much less what "progressive rock" was in the first place. Also, the earliest stuff I remember ever listening to (pretty much as a 6-10 year old) from the last 3 bands mentioned above weren't exactly their best works, at least under the prog rock vision (I only have distant memories about Learning To Fly, Owner of a Lonely Heart and Free as a Bird, respectively). Fair exception to Rush since I remember listening to Fly By Night and the iconic intro of Spirit of Radio at a really young age. So, one day this teacher of mine would tell me about Supertramp, a band I was sure I already listened to before. So the next day I took my phone to the school (hidden lol) and showed him "The Logical Song", and then a conversation about bands of this genre had begun. After that day I listened to Supertramp almost everyday, always discovering a new song. I still have much of their stuff to listen to but I believe I know a lot about them already. I also started listening to Rush and so far, my favorite track is still unknown (it's hard to choose between Working Man, Subdivisions and A Farewell To Kings LOL).

So, the quarantine came and I spent a bit more of time on the Internet (and listening to music), so in one way or another my come-across with this forum was kind of inevitable. This is probably the richest collection of informations, conversations and all sorts of things like that on the web about prog rock, so I've decided to register here and become a member. Through this forum I've discovered other amazing bands like Caravan, Camel, VdGG and ELP (I've been listening to this last one a lot lately, Greg Lake's voice is just beautiful! Felt really bad when I discovered his death almost 4 years ago). Well, I hope I can learn even more prog stuff here and I am sure I will. I also apologize in advance if I commit many grammar mistakes. I'm Brazilian and I don't speak fluent English yet. Have a good day! Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 06:00
welcome Thumbs Up
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 06:04
Welcome to PA!
Two tips: 
1. Don't mention Torman Maxt.
2. Don't try to argue with Cristi.
Good day!
(OK, you probably won't understand those tips as you're new, so don't worry if you don't understand them Wink)
Seriously, you have very good tastes. Rush, Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Yes are some of the best prog bands. I hope you enjoy your time here! Beer
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 17:07
Welcome. It's surprising you're a Brazilian because your first name "Yuri" and family one "Umeda" both are also Japanese.

Anyway I lived close to Umeda, Osaka, about twenty years ago. Thumbs Up
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 06:07
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Welcome. It's surprising you're a Brazilian because your first name "Yuri" and family one "Umeda" both are also Japanese.

Anyway I lived close to Umeda, Osaka, about twenty years ago. Thumbs Up
Nice to know! Well, I'm not exactly Japanese but I am a descendant, or what they call a "Yonsei" hehe. I wish to visit Japan as soon as it gets possible.
Thanks everyone! Thumbs Up
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 06:16
Welcome to the forum! There are many other awesome artists worthy of discovery; here a few examples:

Edited by BaldFriede - October 24 2020 at 07:23

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 07:07
In the words of John Oliver...

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

You're at the perfect age to build that love of music and you've picked the perfect site.

FWIW, if you like ELP (and maybe it's more Greg that you like) check out King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King". That was Greg's intro to the world.

But if you like ELP all around, then check out:
-Rick Wakeman's first few albums
-Duncan MacKay "Score"
-Early Asia (did you know Greg played with them for the one off Asia in Asia concert? Check YouTube)
And of course Greg's solo albums.

Enjoy your exploration.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 07:17
Welcome Yuri, I am a fairly new a member here too.  But, I can attest that the people here know a lot about progressive rock music so this will be a great learning experience for you.

Sao Paulo does have quite a large community of Japanese descendants.  I met a quite few when I lived for a short time in Moema.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 10:55
Welcome Yuri! Enjoy your time here on PA.
lerico View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lerico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 06:37
Hello everbody!!!
i want to share one band that i really loved!
but i don't know if someone linsten !

Distant Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gILRSwwjukM

Ohgod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX6Uai3zTR8

Post Reply Post Reply