Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ayreon-Transitus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ayreon-Transitus
    Posted: October 23 2020 at 13:49
I'm a big fan of Ayreon. I haven't heard an album that I didn't like (eventually), but I haven't heard his latest album, Transitus, yet. Just figured I'd get the general consensus.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 13:56
I've yet to listen to it but its long trailer seems fun.
TheUniversalMigrator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 14:13
I saw the trailer and I thought it was pretty good. I'm pretty I'm pressed that he got Tom Baker from Doctor Who to be the story teller. I've heard it's very different from his other work.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 15:51
Only listened to the first disc so far, but it seems pretty much `business as usual', ie very reliable bombastic symphonic prog with touches of metal, with very grand vocals, all given a lavish production in the manner of all the previous Ayreon works. Can't imagine any Ayreon fans being disappointed by it.

It reminded me a lot of Rick Wakeman's `Centre of the Earth' albums in that there is narration (from classic era Doctor Who star Tom Baker) at the start or end of every single track (not given its own track either, literally part of every actual music track), so it's essentially acting as a story where the words introduce what is about to happen in the song/music. I'm not really a big fan of the approach, but it absolutely highlights the `storytelling' aspect of the set.

I will have one little grumble, though: No lyric book in the standard CD edition!! I think the enhanced deluxe sets and maybe the vinyl include one (apparently one version comes with a comic book of the story that has the words in it?), but I'm not quite such a massive fan of Ayreon that I would spend a ton more on such editions.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:33
The predecessor was brilliant, but here I absolutely hated never-ending spoken word at the beginning of every song. Removed it from my library half way through the album. If you need narration in order to convey the story, you have already failed.

Edited by Homotopy - October 24 2020 at 02:35
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:39
Well what about Into the Electric Castle? In my mind, that's a masterpiece of both music and storytelling, and it has a narrator that chimes in occasionally.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 03:49
Not bad, but effectively the narrator (Arjen hiself) is not as effective as it was i.e. in Journey to the Centre of Earth. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 04:27
Originally posted by TheUniversalMigrator TheUniversalMigrator wrote:

I'm a big fan of Ayreon.
Aren't we all?
I like the new album a lot. Maybe not as good as the Universal Migrator album series. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 11:47
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">I'm a big fan of Ayreon.</span>
Aren't we all?

I've been wandering this earth alone my entire life. These are my people.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Not bad, but effectively the narrator (Arjen hiself) is not as effective as it was i.e. in Journey to the Centre of Earth. 

Tom Baker (the 4th Doctor) is the narrator on this one, and I dig it!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:04
You are right. My mind has faulted. Anyway it's not about voice or skill, it's the effectivenesd. It doesn't work as well as Wakeman's
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 11:25

I'm a big fan of Ayreon
Aren't we all?....

I never got into Ayreon.

Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Tom Baker (the 4th Doctor) is the narrator on this one, and I dig it!

I am, however, a big fan of Tom Baker, so I might just give this a listen. Sometimes when Ive heard Tom Baker's voice in something I've assumed that it was Jon Culshaw (rather than the other way around).

Sorry, off topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-inrExbDeI

Edited by Logan - October 28 2020 at 11:28
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:38

I'm a big fan of Ayreon.
Aren't we all?
I like the new album a lot. Maybe not as good as the Universal Migrator album series. Wink
I listened a lot to The Human Equation and 010111010001, but at some point the interest dropped like a stone. I have given some of his later albums a go, but nothing has inspired me to keep listening. My musical interest has faded somewhat away from that style of progressive metal.

I can still appreciate what he's creating, it's not that interesting anymore. I'd rather put on The Human Equation, 001001010111 or On This Perfect Day (Guilt Machine) than some of his newer stuff. Nostalgia and all that.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 17:39
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

I can still appreciate what he's creating, it's not that interesting anymore. I'd rather put on The Human Equation, 001001010111 or On This Perfect Day (Guilt Machine) than some of his newer stuff. Nostalgia and all that.

While I liked The Source, I agree that The Human Equation and 01 were better. In general, I LIKE most of his work, but he has a very special few albums that I think are just awesome.

The Universal Migrator
The Human Equation
Into the Electric Castle
and The Final Experiment

Order changes depending on the day.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 01:59
I found it quite boring on my first listening, whilst such had been the case about The Theory of Everything; which eventually turned out to be one of my favourite Ayreon albums. I'll give Transitus more chance, precisely because of this reason.

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 19 2020 at 02:00
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:42

it's not Arjen narrating, it's a British actor, Tom Baker
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:43

I'm a big fan of Ayreon.
Aren't we all?

No. 
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:03
For me, Transitus is good but isn't a top album. I prefer Into The Electric Castle and all the other CDs of Ayreon.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:27
It's good to see Father Christmas is back in time for Christmas, and count me in for the new Ayreon album, especially if it's narrated by Doctor Who. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's good to see Father Christmas is back in time for Christmas, and count me in for the new Ayreon album, especially if it's narrated by Doctor Who. Wink

he's not back, he posted that in October. My mistake for quoting him, but I just wanted to point out that not everyone is an Ayreon fan. Big smile Maybe I did not do a great job at it. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>