Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ayreon-Transitus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's good to see Father Christmas is back in time for Christmas, and count me in for the new Ayreon album, especially if it's narrated by Doctor Who. Wink

he's not back, he posted that in October. My mistake for quoting him, but I just wanted to point out that not everyone is an Ayreon fan. Big smile Maybe I did not do a great job at it. LOL
Sorry, I should have checked the date on FC's last post. Embarrassed Maybe he's still out delivering presents in time for Christmas. Smile

I'm definitely an Ayreon fan: I like every album they've ever made. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 19 2020 at 03:39
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:42

It's good to see Father Christmas is back in time for Christmas, and count me in for the new Ayreon album, especially if it's narrated by Doctor Who. Wink

he's not back, he posted that in October. My mistake for quoting him, but I just wanted to point out that not everyone is an Ayreon fan. Big smile Maybe I did not do a great job at it. LOL
Sorry, I should have checked the date on FC's last post. Embarrassed Maybe he's still out delivering presents in time for Christmas. Smile

I'm definitely an Ayreon fan: I like every album they've ever made. Thumbs Up

have you really listened to all the albums? 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:45
^ Yes, I've listened to everything, up to and including The Theory of Everything, and they're all 5-star albums for me, and that's no Actual Fantasy. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 19 2020 at 03:46
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:48
^ The Source? TBH, I've not listened to it yet. That came out at a time when I suspended my explorer self. I'll listen to it eventually, God knows when. Star
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:49

^ Yes, I've listened to everything, up to and including The Theory of Everything, and they're all 5-star albums for me, and that's no Actual Fantasy. Thumbs Up

LOL
I can't think of a band more overhyped and overrated in the progressive metal genre. And I have listened to a ton of it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:59

LOL
I can't think of a band more overhyped and overrated in the progressive metal genre. And I have listened to a ton of it. 
Ayreon are my favourite Progressive Metal band by far, although in all honesty, I only know one other band in the Theater of Progressive Metal, and you can guess who that is. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 04:01

LOL
Ayreon are my favourite Progressive Metal band by far, although in all honesty, I only know one other band in the Theater of Progressive Metal, and you can guess who that is. Wink

so you listen to two bands and one is your favorite. LOL
Unintentional humor is awesome. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 04:03

LOL

I agree that Ayreon are not THAT awesome, but I think the band have their own peculiar merits. Arjen is/seems like a very likeable person and a great professional, and that sincerity is nicely reflected through the works he creates. Ayreon also serve as sort of a bridge between the classic prog and modern prog, and that makes the band very valuable IMHO.

Edited by Shadowyzard - December 19 2020 at 04:07
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

LOL

I agree that Ayreon is not THAT awesome, but I think the band have their own peculiar merits. Arjen is/seems like a very likeable person and a great professional, and that sincerity is nicely reflected through the works he creates. Ayreon also serve as a sort of bridge between the classic prog and modern prog, and that makes the band very valuable IMHO.

I wasn't judging Arjen's character Confused How did you get that from my post? Confused

There is an annoying overhype around the band and my problem is that this project/band has become so predictable, I don't get it why people still get hyped or excited. 

The band was valuable a few albums ago, before it all got predictable. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 04:10

LOL

Yes, although it's perfectly true that I only know two Progressive Metal bands, I generally prefer female-fronted Symphonic Metal, with the exception of Ayreon and Dream Theater, obviously. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 04:15

LOL

Yes, although it's perfectly true that I only know two Progressive Metal bands, I generally prefer female-fronted Symphonic Metal, with the exception of Ayreon and Dream Theater, obviously. Smile

two very different things symphonic metal and progressive metal. Progressive metal is quite diverse, symphonic metal on the other hand is not, the scene is overflooded and predictable already. Few albums really stand out. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 04:19

I wasn't judging Arjen's character Confused How did you get that from my post? Confused

I didn't say or mean anything like that. That was just about my brief take on Ayreon's merits, which has a lot to do with Arjen's personality IMO.

I absolutely liked The Theory of Everything a lot, because it provides me with an intense feeling of bittersweet nostalgia. I was/am far from being blown away by it, nor did I find it unpredictable or exhilerating. It is just very emotional and touching for me. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 13:39
My final verdict:

A beautiful album without any "Wow!" or "WTF???" moments. Flows perfectly, and will seemingly have a long lasting appeal for me. 8/10
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 03:19
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

My final verdict:

A beautiful album without any "Wow!" or "WTF???" moments. Flows perfectly, and will seemingly have a long lasting appeal for me. 8/10

Interesting.

I've been a huge fan of Ayreon since getting The Human Equation back in 2011.  It blew my mind on first listen!!!  Just awesome.  I have all the Ayreon albums, but Transitus is a real disappointment for me.  Once you've heard the narration once, it just doesn't work again, and the story is so over the top it's just ridiculous!  And none of the songs have grabbed me enough to go back to it again, after 3 or 4 listens.  Meh....

Whereas THE, ITEC, TTOE and 01011001 are 4 albums of the very highest quality, with several others not far behind.  The man is a genius, and by listening to Ayreon I have got into so many other acts and properly embraced metal again after a long hiatus!

I'm hoping Transitus is just a blip.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12