Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There are no 1-star albums, are there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

I have rated 4 albums with 1 star. 
I will also change my Yes - Open Your Eyes rating from 2 stars, to 1 star. 

Which ones, Cristi?

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Yes - Open Your Eyes
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece
Nightwish Human || Nature

Queensryche have a couple of albums deserve even less. EmbarrassedLOL

I don't think The Missing Piece is a bad album tbh, agree on Queensryche though

I know many people like The Missing Piece.

Which Queensryche do you have in mind? For me it's Dedicated to Chaos and their cover album Take Cover. 

Dedicated to Chaos is just an abomination, but every album from Hear in the Now Frontier is just an endless showcase of stinker after stinker and terrible identity crisis 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:40
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

ouch!  what is that album guilty of besides thinking that their audience wanted to listen to a symphony
Or are you not a Nightwish fan to begin with?  I quite like their last 5 albums or so

I love Tarja Nightwish. I find it strange those albums are rated on PA poorer than the music they did afterwards. The albums with Tarja were unique, they basically created symphonic metal along with Therion. 

The new album frustrated me to the point that I deleted it from my laptop eventually. I gave it so many chances because I read some very positive opinions, even thought I might be missing something. It's so bland, cheesy, lacks any kind of oomph, the songs with the new male singer are so boring. The second CD is godawful Pirates of the Caribbean music, made me cringe. I wasted too much time on the album, time i could have used to listen to something I actually enjoy.  

Edited by Cristi - October 25 2020 at 12:55
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:43
I amazed by the people who rate and write reviews and have the ability to stay neutral.  There are some albums that I detest but I can see how someone else might like it.  So rating something a star myself would be difficult as I would be conscious of not wanting to scare someone off unfairly from listening to it.

As someone already mentioned, I would have less of a problem warning someone off because of a really poor sound recording quality.

So I admire you guys who write the reviews, good job overall!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:46

Dedicated to Chaos is just an abomination, but every album from Hear in the Now Frontier is just an endless showcase of stinker after stinker and terrible identity crisis 

I like Tribe (2003 if I remember right). the only later day album with Tate I enjoy.

Their last three albums with Todd La Torre are really good. 

Geoff Tate did an album with some Italian musicians last year, the band is called Sweet Oblivion. Geoff can still sing, a very good album and a pleasant surprise. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:50
I have given one star ratings to a number of albums which reflect my own tastes and opinions (as all ratings do). One of them is Steve Howe's first collaboration with Paul Sutin, Seraphim, which is a little more harsh than most (their second collaboration, not highly rated here either, is one I find enjoyable). Another is Zappa's We're Only In It For the Money, which is the exact opposite of the general view (and yet I find Zappa among the most admirable of artists). I stand by both assessments. I reserve this rating for albums that have almost no redeeming factors to my ears; most are by artists that should know better. I will give almost anything a fair listen all the way through, but there have been recordings I simply could not stand, many of which are not Prog. For Prog artists, I tend to wait to hear something good. The ones that disappoint me the most get the dreaded one star.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:54

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

ouch!  what is that album guilty of besides thinking that their audience wanted to listen to a symphony
Or are you not a Nightwish fan to begin with?  I quite like their last 5 albums or so

I love Tarja Nightwish. I find it strange those albums are rated poorer than the music they did afterwards. The albums with Tarja were unique, they basically created symphonic metal along with Therion. 

The new album frustrated me to the point that I deleted it from my laptop eventually. I gave it so many chances because I read some very positive opinions, even thought I might be missing something. It's so bland, cheesy, lacks any kind of oomph, the songs with the new male singer are so boring. The second CD is godawful Pirates of the Caribbean music, made me cringe. I wasted too much time on the album, time i could have used to listen to something I actually enjoy.  

fair enough...I think you could put together a decent convincing 1 star review based on what you just wrote.  Especially the "Pirates of the Caribbean" reference  LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:27

Some people have convinced themselves that that album is good ^Ermm 

I don't know anyone who has genuinely convinced themselves that it is good per se, unless you mean so bad it's good, but there are people like me who appreciate it very much.  Like I said about it, one of my favourite albums (not in PA) is famed for its incompetence/ badness, and I love it.  There are many People like Ed Wood who also think he is a very poor filmmaker, but I love his films.  If it wasn't thought to be so delightfully incompetent then I don't think many would appreciate it.  The girls had only just started to learn their instruments apparently (some might say it really shines or drowns in the lyrics). ;)

Here are a few quotes about The Shaggs.

• The Shaggs. Better than the Beatles - even today." - Frank Zappa
  • "The Shaggs are like castaways on their own musical island." - Bonnie Raitt
  • "... For me, one song about your real life is worth ten "professional" songs. The Shaggs convince me that they're the real thing when they sing." - Jonathan Richman
  • "They bring my mind to a complete halt." - Carla Bley
  • "It's the sincere badness, or primitivist naivete, that makes The Shagg's Philosophy of the World so very good." - Logan
Just a fanboy passin' through.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:12
Count me in as another Shaggs fan. Thumbs Up
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:50
Funny when I saw this thread the first think I thought of was OYE---as Yes is one of my fav bands it still astounds me how I could not get into this at all--So yup---Open your eyes is a disaster. ..proving Turing over Yes to sherwood is and was a terrible idea....(at least Heaven and Earth was a 2 starTongue)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:58
I also wish to thanlk those who write reviews....I simply don't have the patience and I would probably be too positive on my favorite bands and not objective enough.
I have never given 1 star to anything and only a handful of 5 stars...I think there are probably too many 5 star rated albums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:18
The one prog album probably rated one star here: The Problem of Pain, Torman Maxt
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:26
The Queen and Paul Rogers album. Not sure what else. Maybe Mike Rutherford's "acting very strange" album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The Queen and Paul Rogers album. Not sure what else. Maybe Mike Rutherford's "acting very strange" album.

I haven't listened to the Queen + Paul Rodgers album in years. I don't remember it being so bad though.

I agree with Acting Very Strange. Unlistenable. 

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:44
I rarely review any album I don't listen to regularly, and if I listen to them regularly, it's probably because I love them. So that's why I have a large number of 5* reviews.
Similarly, I don't usually bother with 1* albums because I don't have many, having got rid of them in a purge that would have done Stalin proud: it's just when something truly repulsive turns up (First Utterance or Trout Mask Replica), I spit my dummy out with it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I rarely review any album I don't listen to regularly, and if I listen to them regularly, it's probably because I love them. So that's why I have a large number of 5* reviews.
Similarly, I don't usually bother with 1* albums because I don't have many, having got rid of them in a purge that would have done Stalin proud: it's just when something truly repulsive turns up (First Utterance or Trout Mask Replica), I spit my dummy out with it.

I do the same, I won't listen or review anything I don't like and will get rid of it. Why I don't review punk in a nutshell.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:09
Acting very strange is a good one! That is a horrible one star album! Makes me wonder what Mike was thinking! Even Mike and the Mechanics isn't as horrible. At least I don't think so.Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:13
^I like Mike + M.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:19

it's probably because I love them. So that's why I have a large number of 5* reviews.

It's the same reason why I have a large number of 5-star reviews too. I only review the albums I really like. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

it's probably because I love them. So that's why I have a large number of 5* reviews.

It's the same reason why I have a large number of 5-star reviews too. I only review the albums I really like. Smile
But many members won't read reviews by people who only review the albums that they like. They feel like they're reading love letters.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 16:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm planning to listen to the Queen + Paul Rodgers studio album for the first time tomorrow. I just hope it's as good as the live album, but at least I won't be setting my expectations too high now if you think the album's only worth a 1-star rating. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>