Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis ( Three sides live )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis ( Three sides live )
    Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:34
It is a rather odd live album, but it most unusual the keyboard work of tony banks is the scene stealer here ONE FOR THE VINE and IN THE CAGE is simply awe inspiring .Although i found DODO and TURN IN ON AGAIN a little bit of a letdown due to the annoying due to phil collins OWS and AHHS ,but he settled down a bit later ME AND SARAH JANE was not for me a good song, unsure of why it was chosen for the live album. The highlight for me was FOUNTAIN OF SALMACSIS just beautifully done, strong vocals from phil.Once again thanks for the time reading my review grant

Edited by grantman - October 27 2020 at 12:38
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:44
The studio tracks are a bit up and down in quality, but I enjoy the live recordings, which are pretty much flawless. Itīs of course mostly focused on the latest releases, but there are some great prog tracks on it as well. Good live album overall...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:44
I had the import a long time ago on vinyl that had the fourth live side. They made the fourth side studio tracks in the US because they didn't think the US audience would understand the humor of three sides live. Lol. I actually like some of those songs on the studio side especially evidence of autumn. 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 14:04
The whole In The Cage medley blows me away every time I hear it. I use to get behind my drum set, crank it up and try  to keep up with Phil & Chester.  Great stuff!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:18
Three Sides Live was the first Genesis live album I bought when I was just discovering music in my early teens. Loved the album then, still love it today.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:53
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Three Sides Live was the first Genesis live album I bought when I was just discovering music in my early teens. Loved the album then, still love it today.

Was it new when you first bought it? If so you might be around my age (maybe slightly older).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 17:14
Funny, I'm spinning that one now.....bought it brand new in '82. I have two copies, my wife found one at a garage sale couple yrs ago. Easily VG++ condition, I enjoy the album a lot.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 01:30
I prefer my boot of the 1980 Lyceum show which has all the Duke Suite. By 1981 their live shows were becoming too watered down and this exemplifies that sadly. 3 stars at a push but no more for me and only worth a spin for One For The Vine and In The Cage.IMO
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:26
It's a bit of three star album for me, unlike Seconds Out which is pushing a 5.

The live versions of the old songs are pretty good though, especially One for the Vine & In the Cage medley.

Side 4 is 'interesting' For some reason I've always loved Paperlate (even as a kid, not knowing anything about Genesis) I remember seeing them 'performing' it on TOTP on the BBC, and its infectious rhythm and brass stabs caught my ear. It's the sought of thing I would normally hate, but it;s actually one of my top Genesis singles..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:03
i brought the cd these are the tracks
disc one
1. turn it on again
2.dodo
3.abacab
4.behind the lines
5.duchess
6.me and sarah jane
7.follow you,follow me
disc two
1.misunderstanding
2.in the cage
3.afterglow
4.one for the vine
5.fountain of salmacis
6.it/watcher of the skies
that is all the tracks i have on cd ,what are the tracks that are missing from the albumi was wondering if anyone at p/a knows what they are thanks in advance grant

Edited by grantman - October 28 2020 at 16:04
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:30
I have this down my list of Genesis live albums as it came down about the time of Abacab which was one of the low points of Genesis's outputs.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 00:38
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I have this down my list of Genesis live albums as it came down about the time of Abacab which was one of the low points of Genesis's outputs.

agreed although one of the strengths (perhaps the wrong word!) of Abacab is the production. Sonically it was a jump forward at least and there are a handful of decent tracks. However it wasn't necessary to have live versions of these tracks. Pre Abacab, there are definitely some live versions of tracks that improve on the studio versions, Deep in The Motherlode and One For The Vine for instance. The live version of the former actually only made it to an official release when the second Archive box set was released some years later. 
 Post Reply Post Reply