Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums you think got unfairly treated upon release
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you think got unfairly treated upon release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums you think got unfairly treated upon release
    Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:27
This could be for a multitude of reasons, but i'll talk about 3 that come to mind for me

1: A Dramatic Turn of Events by Dream Theater

I wrote an in depth review on this album a few weeks ago now, but I think this got a lot of hate from fans for obviously the departure of Portnoy, as well perhaps the Drum sound not being where it really had to be at the time. However, the actual music is not only a return to the progressive Dream Theater sound, but it's an evolution as well. The songs just blow me away with their smooth technicality while always remaining tasteful and never quite delving into the w**kery that bloated many of the 2000s Dream Theater albums. Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky, Outcry, Breaking all Illusion.... all some of in my opinion, the greatest Dream Theater songs ever. The late 2000s albums were plagued by terrible dated 2000s metal trends and cringe worthy vocals by Mike Portnoy (who I dearly love as a musician and person). The only reamining aspects of this are seen on the second track Build me Up Break me Down, which I enjoy as a guilty pleasure song, but i'd still say its a misstep in the track listing. While the drum sound could use a tad more punch, the parts are all well developed and well played and after a few listens you really get used to it and don't mind it. One of my favorite DT albums.

2: Rites at Dawn by Wobbler

Looking at reviews from the time of its release, many pounced on it as a blatant yes clone. Sure, clear influence, but the songs, production, and songwriting is all top notch and at the time, their best work. Should be above 4 stars for sure, though the rating it has isn't by any means bad.

3: Fear Innoculum by Tool

This is the best Tool album, I literally cannot see what some people find even remotely "bad" about it. I think its a combo of 3 things. 1: this album never could have lived up to the hype and expectations that older fans had in their head 2: Hate bandwagon due to influential voices such as Anthony Fantano speaking out against it early on 3: it is their most inaccessible album. The songs here are so dense, well developed, well produced and I think not only is it their most proggy, but also their most psychedelic. I've loved this album since release and it's always the first tool album I reach for, love it. 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 18:35
Every Genesis release after Duke. Well maybe before Duke. I love the pop Genesis as much as the old crusty Genesis.

Edit..after Wind & Wuthering.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - October 28 2020 at 18:38
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 18:43
^ especially and then there were three, great album front to back
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 19:32
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ especially and then there were three, great album front to back

I agree. That's very underrated among prog fans. There's a few tracks that maybe aren't that great but nothing I would consider bad. 

I would also say Tormato but that was actually the first Yes album to sell a million copies(as strange as that might sound these days). Big Generator is also not held in very high regard but it too sold one million copies. The ladder sold a lot less and so that is maybe the best example for Yes (imo). 

Another one that comes to mind is Flower Power by the Flower Kings. I remember when it came out people were saying it was a bit too much because it was a double and the previous album was a double. Come on man. That isn't a real critique of the music! 

I'm not sure what else off the top of my head.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 28 2020 at 19:32
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 20:15
Caress of Steel.

And Fear Inoculum is indeed an amazing album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 20:16
Originally posted by Adaon Adaon wrote:

Caress of Steel.

And Fear Inoculum is indeed an amazing album.

Yeah, Caress of Steel is one of the best examples of this imo. Also, just about any KC album other than their first one.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 20:29
Genesis Live (w/ Gabriel)
PROGMATIC
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 20:58
Pinkerton

oh wait did you want just prog albums?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 21:06
ADTOE got what it deserved by fans...and reviewers. At best its a subpar album and the following albums are as bad or worse.
We saw the tour, great show but the magic is gone.

I guess my question is unfairly treated by who?? This website or Rolling Stone magazine??
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 22:09
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

One of my long-time favorites!  I cannot resist cheering and clapping loudly whenever I hear the opening Mellotron chords to "Watcher of the Skies," as on Genesis Live!!  

I'd say that "Close to the Edge" was treated rather unfairly when first released....it was called "music for robots" by some critics.  It took some time to grow on most fans.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 22:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

One of my long-time favorites!  I cannot resist cheering and clapping loudly whenever I hear the opening Mellotron chords to "Watcher of the Skies," as on Genesis Live!!  

I'd say that "Close to the Edge" was treated rather unfairly when first released....it was called "music for robots" by some critics.  It took some time to grow on most fans.

Apparently it was one of the weakest selling Yes albums in the seventies. I remember some guy online saying he worked in a record store and said he always sold copies of TYA and Fragile but rarely CTTE. That's kind of funny considering how it has been so well received over the past few years. It even made Rolling Stones latest edition of their top five hundred albums list. You can't say that about Fragile or TYA. 90210 didn't show up on that list either. Tongue

As for Genesis live it's special because it captures them at a certain time and place and is a great document of that period. However, it didn't have supper's ready on it. I wish it was a double so SR could be included. Still, it's very good for what it is.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 28 2020 at 22:29
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 00:50
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Every Genesis release after Duke. Well maybe before Duke. I love the pop Genesis as much as the old crusty Genesis.

Edit..after Wind & Wuthering.

This is an extremely valid argument(s), lol.

A couple I think broke the mold and didn't go over so hot when they debuted:

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Pestilence - Spheres
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 02:03
'To the Bone', people were already dismissing it based on some news and a few singles... And it is a very solid progressive pop album, never got why it gets so much hate.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 02:58

Interesting. I bought that album when it was first released, how was it "unfairly treated"?

The only criticism I'm aware of is that it doesn't include Supper's Ready, which I believe was for cost reasons as it was only £1.99 when it came out.

Edited by chopper - October 29 2020 at 03:59
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 03:21
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time, their best album since Tot. A smaller package with stronger songwriting, drums are also great unlike their previous 2 albums.

Pendragon - Believe, a very balanced and tight album, with stronger songwriting and some of the best guitar solos from the band. Also, the loud keyboards are gone (especially when compared with Not of this world) and there's more focus on acoustic and electric guitars (without being too heavy).

Porcupine Tree - The Incident, an album that brought back the softer side of the band while trying new things, with some of the best moments from the band.

Also Caress of Steel...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 03:23

unfairly treated upon release by who? fans? critics? 

or are you just listing albums you like that others don't? Confused
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 03:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Apparently it was one of the weakest selling Yes albums in the seventies. I remember some guy online saying he worked in a record store and said he always sold copies of TYA and Fragile but rarely CTTE. That's kind of funny considering how it has been so well received over the past few years. It even made Rolling Stones latest edition of their top five hundred albums list. You can't say that about Fragile or TYA. 90210 didn't show up on that list either. Tongue

I'm a little surprised by the sales figures you tell us of (CTTE as weaker-selling than its predecessors Confused, and relate it to the (un)fair reception by the crowds, which I doubt as well. I mean, wisdom would induce that Yes should've been doubling sales at every new album in their first ascension phase.

The only thing I could see to coroborate the statement is that the bland green artwork might have made it less visible than other Yes releases in the racks and make it less attractive to potential buyers.

Never believe Rolling Stone, in anyways, CTTE was on every top list or radio countdowns during the 70's, except for theirs.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Interesting. I bought that album when it was first release, how was it "unfairly treated"?

The only criticism I'm aware of is that it doesn't include Supper's Ready.

Yeah, I thought Genesis Live was well received. It charted well in the UK too IIRC.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 05:50
King Crimson's last three albums. Quite excellent, but many people gave them the cold shoulder.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 05:54
Lizard, Lizard and...oh yeah, Lizard.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>