Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums you think got unfairly treated upon release
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you think got unfairly treated upon release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:06
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

'To the Bone', people were already dismissing it based on some news and a few singles... And it is a very solid progressive pop album, never got why it gets so much hate.

Probably the new one as well tbh
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:08
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

'To the Bone', people were already dismissing it based on some news and a few singles... And it is a very solid progressive pop album, never got why it gets so much hate.

It's already getting a load of Coldplay-style abuse on Facebook.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 06:53

Yep, the exact same thing is happening to his upcoming release
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:01
"To the Bone" has a rating of 3.62 here. The new one will be rated just as well. Compare that to some Genesis ratings - Abacab (2.61), Genesis (2.79), Invisible Touch (2.47), We Can't Dance (2.66).

Can't say Wilson is treated unfairly.

BTW, admins the new Wilson has several ratings that should be removed.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:29
Here's mine, and it has not recovered, and is still treated unfairly, at least in my book, and also in the book of the main guitarist on the album.

Under Wraps, the much-maligned and quintessentially of its time Jethro Tull album.  When I put it on I am still blown away by a number of the tracks, think the rest are mostly solid, and that there are only one or two clunkers (which is much lower than for any Tull album after A Passion Play).  I still maintain that were this record made with Barrie Barlow, it would be seen alongside 90125 as a way for prog to embrace the innovations of the 80s while still serving the heart of the genre.

Any and all brickbats accepted of course, I know i utter sacriledge 
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:59
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

Here's mine, and it has not recovered, and is still treated unfairly, at least in my book, and also in the book of the main guitarist on the album.

Under Wraps, the much-maligned and quintessentially of its time Jethro Tull album.  When I put it on I am still blown away by a number of the tracks, think the rest are mostly solid, and that there are only one or two clunkers (which is much lower than for any Tull album after A Passion Play).  I still maintain that were this record made with Barrie Barlow, it would be seen alongside 90125 as a way for prog to embrace the innovations of the 80s while still serving the heart of the genre.

I like Under Wraps too.  There are plenty of good melodies on that album, though I really can't blame anyone for finding the synth sounds and drum machines repellent.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 09:25
Hi,

1. There were many, and probably the first one was YES and TFTO, when the tour was announced it was fine but 2 weeks later, many magazines did not like the new thing, and put it down. When a few weeks later I got to see them at the Long Beach Arena, it was a magnificent show, but already you were seeing the signs of the press all over it ... the audience was VERY appreciative of the show, and they took a break after TFTO and then came back to do CTTE that got a massive reaction ... and then one more encore got a massive reaction from Roundabout. The "press" had won, and immediately the LATimes said that the audience was more able to show the band what their good material was ... in other words the trashing continued.

2. When TLLDOB was released, the album had not gotten to the station yet, and my roomie, the Space Pirate, had gotten a copy of it, and when he went on the air that Friday Night, he did not say anything, and put the album on and he played both albums, non-stop and in its entirety. The saddest thing happened ... at the station the folks didn't know what to play ... there was no "hit" listed and the press did not help and was disappointed because there wasn't an important single on the album!

3. PF's DSOTM did not get a lot of reviews, but one famous one specifically said that it was fat, and over done, and pretentious. A month later the tour started in the USA and the band went GAZILLION, and a lot of these folks that trashed it had to change their tune. But everyone already knew they were Kiss, BS and Crapper fans anyway .... and should not have reviewed PF.

A few more disappointments was reading about DT and one album, that was different, but still DT ... Six Degrees ... that many did not like, and I was fine with it, though at the time the band was new to me. By this time, album reviews, did not dominate the market like they had 30 years earlier so a band could be more independent and not have to suffer bad moments and consequences at the mouth of an idiot. I, honestly, think that the band's fans, were not happy and were still thinking about the previous guy and what he helped put together. It was not too different of a band, but the previous albums (for me) were over rated by the fans compared to some of the things they did later.

Nowadays, it's almost like ... no one even knows or cares if there is a new album and the news releases are almost invisible and the only excitement you see is three or four posts on PA glad to see it coming ... and the rest ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .... which is kinda sad in my book ... any artist deserves the credit for their work, but when it is not something you like, or prefer (!!!!) all of a sudden the album is merde unpopulaire.

I kinda wish there was an unwritten rule that albums can not be reviewed until they are 3 months old so some folks have a chance to review them ... but my widest and largest complaint is some folks reviewing an album and it is fairly obvious that they don't have it and did not listen to it, but just "needled" a few moments off the Tube or somewhere else ... and honestly ... I don't think that person should be reviewing anything and should go back and post comments on his favorites, instead.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:32
There is a later album by Pallas that comes to mind also. The one with the roman numbers as a title.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'd say that "Close to the Edge" was treated rather unfairly when first released....it was called "music for robots" by some critics.  It took some time to grow on most fans.

Apparently it was one of the weakest selling Yes albums in the seventies. I remember some guy online saying he worked in a record store and said he always sold copies of TYA and Fragile but rarely CTTE. That's kind of funny considering how it has been so well received over the past few years. It even made Rolling Stones latest edition of their top five hundred albums list. You can't say that about Fragile or TYA. 90210 didn't show up on that list either. Tongue

I'm a little surprised by the sales figures you tell us of (CTTE as weaker-selling than its predecessors Confused, and relate it to the (un)fair reception by the crowds, which I doubt as well. I mean, wisdom would induce that Yes should've been doubling sales at every new album in their first ascension phase.

The only thing I could see to coroborate the statement is that the bland green artwork might have made it less visible than other Yes releases in the racks and make it less attractive to potential buyers.

Never believe Rolling Stone, in anyways, CTTE was on every top list or radio countdowns during the 70's, except for theirs.

I think initially CTTE sold better than the two before it but then maybe because it didn't get as much radio play as the songs in the albums before it it became less popular throughout the rest of the decade. I'm not really sure. Also, it's just this one guy's opinion based on his one store so maybe it's not really representative in general. I think over all it has sold more than TYA but less than Fragile. These days it seems to be their highest rated albubm and most talked about but if that translates to signicant sales I have no idea. People don't seem to buy albums much more these days anyway so even if a lot of younger people are discovering it(including the 6 million views on youtube)then they are probably just streaming it or watching it on youtube.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 29 2020 at 10:39
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:57
Here in Ohio "Genesis Live" was ripped for sound quality and just generally ignored. I never heard complaints about it lacking "Supper's Ready" until a few years later. I much prefer it to "Seconds Out," and with the Genesis box later I was able to hear "Supper's Ready."

Edited by progmatic - October 29 2020 at 10:58
PROGMATIC
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 11:06
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway seemed to bemuse legions of Genesis fans when it came out. The supporting tour was pretty chaotic too.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 13:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think initially CTTE sold better than the two before it but then maybe because it didn't get as much radio play as the songs in the albums before it it became less popular throughout the rest of the decade. I'm not really sure. Also, it's just this one guy's opinion based on his one store so maybe it's not really representative in general. I think over all it has sold more than TYA but less than Fragile. These days it seems to be their highest rated albubm and most talked about but if that translates to signicant sales I have no idea. People don't seem to buy albums much more these days anyway so even if a lot of younger people are discovering it(including the 6 million views on youtube)then they are probably just streaming it or watching it on youtube.

Hi,

I already had gotten the Yes Album and then Fragile, and as soon as CTTE came out I got it and loved it. No worries there ... but by that time I didn't care what "reviews" said about anything since I was already expecting many of them to be crap, specially when the famous magazine called TD "washing machine music" which, of course, meant that the idiot had not even heard the whole thing and was just trying to be funny. To this day I say that jerk was deaf and would not even know what a washing machine sounded like ... besides, FAUST might have done a washing machine, but I seriously doubted that TD would even consider the option!

I do think that there are a lot more album sales than we know ... but since so much of it is done INDEPENDENTLY, or through a bandshrimp, or other site, we never really know what sold, and most artists will not likely tell you that they sold 1700 copies of the CD, and then bandturds only gave them $1.70 for it all! 

Many record companies continue to trash the way things are, mostly because they lost a lot of revenue ... and they are not smart enough to try and go get some more ... instead spend their money on lawyers and other crap trying to stop mp3's and other details, as a way to make it sound like the Internet is broke and bands can not make money.

I think that some do better than others, but in the end, the whole thing is mostly hurting because a site like PA also shows too many negative sides about any band ... and that hurts sales badly! And that is why I say that the Admins here, have to do a better job to enforce/instill a certain amount of positive feedback on many of the bands that we love so much that we consider as "progressive" and "prog", and while the American idea that it is OK to say anything, in the end, there is a negative side to that ... and most artists might not be as secure in their work to withstand that assault.

I would hate to find anyone/someone quit because they can not sell enough ... and my thoughts and heart goes out to DaveSax (for example) because he has tried, and continues trying ... and that is a very important feeling and artistic desire and process.

My attitude is always ... I only do a review for its positive design and thoughts, and not to diminish the band's works ... I'm not a BS fan, for example, but I do have some of their albums, but as much as I like some of it, I do not feel that they are worthy of a review ... specially when there are so many out there as it is ... and I prefer to save mine for new things.

Edited by moshkito - October 29 2020 at 13:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 14:33
Regarding CTTE.....I think many were disappointed that it did not generate an AM radio single hit, while Fragile had "Roundabout."  

I saw the CTTE tour (22 September, 1972) without having heard the LP first, I'm not even sure it was being sold at the time....I went expecting to hear "America," which was a huge AM radio hit in Chicago!  However, they didn't play it.  I went away hugely impressed. 

"Circus" magazine consistently gave CTTE their highest score, in hearts (five hearts), and they quite raved about it.   However, as pointed out, many rags (i.e. Rolling Stone) didn't like it.  

Edited by cstack3 - October 29 2020 at 14:34
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 15:16
Honestly Close to the Edge, Lamb and Genesis Live don't deserve mentions in this thread. Those are beloved and critically acclaimed albums. I'm looking for stuff that was perhaps super polarizing, had initial poor/mixed reception effect how its currently viewed or albums that never given a fair shot by many fans on release for varying reasons.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 15:25

Honestly Close to the Edge, Lamb and Genesis Live don't deserve mentions in this thread. Those are beloved and critically acclaimed albums. I'm looking for stuff that was perhaps super polarizing, had initial poor/mixed reception effect how its currently viewed or albums that never given a fair shot by many fans on release for varying reasons.

Ok, how about tales from topographic oceans then?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 16:01
Yep ^ that is the best yes album after all, some people just don't know it yet Wink
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 17:10
Originally posted by Adaon Adaon wrote:

Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

I like Under Wraps too.  There are plenty of good melodies on that album, though I really can't blame anyone for finding the synth sounds and drum machines repellent.   

Under Wraps is one of Martin Barre's favourite Tull albums; which is strange, seeing it is heavily synth driven. But when you listen carefully the electric guitar is overlayed throughout and very innovative. Yes, the drum machine detracts...Doane Perry didn't join Tull until the actual Under Wraps tour.  Maybe Under Wraps would have been appreciated more if a real drummer was used.

I actually really like it, as it is Tull's most challenging to its fan base. Excellent tracks include Nobody's Car, Under Wraps #1 & 2, Heat, Paparazzi and the brilliant Saboteur. Maybe (and I emphasize Maybe) those who disliked Under Wraps were the individuals who bought the CD, rather than the vinyl, as the 3 extra tracks on the CD; Astronomy, Automotive Engineering and General Crossing were, yes, stinkers!

Edited by BarryGlibb - October 29 2020 at 17:11
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 17:56
Just about any prog album anytime anywhere.

a few that were unfairly treated imo

ELP - Works Volume One

even now this album gets a caning yet there is very little wrong accept the bloated version of Fanfare For The Common Man. That was enough for many critics yet ELP had mostly moved away from the 'trashy' electronic lead sound towards something with more substance . Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto was especially beautiful and a very creative work. Lake and Palmer showed they also had plenty up their sleeves. Pirates is a tremendous piece for me. No bombast which is unusual for ELP.

Yes - Drama

ok so its the Buggles + Yes , but just get over it. Dynamic, original  and inventive and a massive return to form but the critics were still on the post punk backlash.

Pink Floyd - Animals

prog fans rightly recognise this as a masterpiece but again the critics just were not having it.

Genesis - And Then There Were Three

I have to admit I don't recall whether this was part of the punk backlash but I expect it was. Mostly , however, it's top notch and no wasted moments. Genesis could have packed it in and many expected that to happen but instead they dug out this little beauty instead. Concise and powerful , a very nice balance between pop and prog. Horribly underrated in general.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 18:33
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Regarding CTTE.....I think many were disappointed that it did not generate an AM radio single hit, while Fragile had "Roundabout."  

I saw the CTTE tour (22 September, 1972) without having heard the LP first, I'm not even sure it was being sold at the time....I went expecting to hear "America," which was a huge AM radio hit in Chicago!  However, they didn't play it.  I went away hugely impressed. 

"Circus" magazine consistently gave CTTE their highest score, in hearts (five hearts), and they quite raved about it.   However, as pointed out, many rags (i.e. Rolling Stone) didn't like it.  

Hi,

By 1972, in Southern California, AM was no longer the big seller. FM radio, specially in LA with the 2 famous and really big stations was helping sell massive numbers of albums ... there once was an article that said that in 3 months, Tower in the Strip sold something like a quarter of a million YES albums ... and that would have been on account of FM radio ... not AM, which was fast losing its touch. The big "names" were no longer anyone in AM radio, other than (maybe) Wolfman Jack. It is possible that a portion of those album sales were Fragile and the Yes Album, but I imagine that CTTE was a very wide margin.

Solling Rtone, already, was not the magazine that would matter and was NOT at the fore front of the new music ... by this time it was about the established stars ... and they were the grunts that posted that review of TD and washing machines. Were I in Brazil, I would have used that paper for TP!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Pink Floyd - Animals

prog fans rightly recognise this as a masterpiece but again the critics just were not having it.

Our take was very different. Based on what they had played in concert for some time, we thought that Raving and Drooling, Gotta Be Crazy would be on the next album, and instead they brought out the SOYCD piece and extended it to be an album that almost copied the DSOTM idea, which was great for a record company ... since a very different album would likely alienate the "hit" fans, or the "top" of the record charts' fans.

I still don't care for SOYCD other than the machines and the Roy Harper song. And find ANIMALS vastly superior in that at least it was original, and not a carbon copy of DSOTM in design and appearance. AND, the original cover of the album was also much more far out ... whereas the cover used for SOYCD, has the guy shaking hands with the devil ... and the idea for me was that PF had sold out ... but the numbers were so huge, that everyone ignored it ... a smaller stature band would have been buried and sent out with the trash!

Edited by moshkito - October 29 2020 at 18:41
www.pedrosena.com
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 21:56
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Under Wraps is one of Martin Barre's favourite Tull albums; which is strange, seeing it is heavily synth driven. But when you listen carefully the electric guitar is overlayed throughout and very innovative. Yes, the drum machine detracts...Doane Perry didn't join Tull until the actual Under Wraps tour.  Maybe Under Wraps would have been appreciated more if a real drummer was used.

I actually really like it, as it is Tull's most challenging to its fan base. Excellent tracks include Nobody's Car, Under Wraps #1 & 2, Heat, Paparazzi and the brilliant Saboteur. Maybe (and I emphasize Maybe) those who disliked Under Wraps were the individuals who bought the CD, rather than the vinyl, as the 3 extra tracks on the CD; Astronomy, Automotive Engineering and General Crossing were, yes, stinkers!

Automotive Engineering is my least favorite Tull song.  Such a terrible tune.

I like all of those quality tracks you mentioned, as well as some of the others on that album.  Radio Free Moscow is my favorite of the bunch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>