Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Ghost - the new Steven Wilson single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Ghost - the new Steven Wilson single
    Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:31
Wilson released his third single (and supposedly final) from his upcoming album 'The Future Bites'.
What do you think about this song?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:32
link? Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:37
Linkless. Actually, that would make a good album title.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:38
https://youtu.be/zSvdLcS62ZM
Enjoy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

https://youtu.be/zSvdLcS62ZM
Enjoy!

Hmm, don't know why the video wouldn't load on the comment... Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:47
Insert Movie

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Insert Movie

Thank you
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 07:51
I didn't dislike it. Which does not say much... Confused
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:00
Cute song, not much to say about it tbh
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:08
I don't have an opinion on it, and not because I don't like it but I try not to listen to these teaser releases.....I skimmed thru this one to get a flavor and that's it.
TBH, I think the album is going to be pretty good. I have been trying to watch his streaming interview but its a long one over an hour. I've watched about 30min of it so far, I like his attitude right now it really seems like he's in a good place.
I really like what he is talking about from what I have heard so far...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't have an opinion on it, and not because I don't like it but I try not to listen to these teaser releases.....I skimmed thru this one to get a flavor and that's it.
TBH, I think the album is going to be pretty good. I have been trying to watch his streaming interview but its a long one over an hour. I've watched about 30min of it so far, I like his attitude right now it really seems like he's in a good place.
I really like what he is talking about from what I have heard so far...

That's a decent interview, Steven gives a good picture on what we should expect!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:24
^ Did you watch the whole interview?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:25
Like the video. Don't like the drum machine, falsetto vocals, or the song.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 08:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Did you watch the whole interview?

Yes, almost the whole one, had to skip the end.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 09:42
Hi,

I think that SW skipping the rock thing and try to create something else is good, and perhaps this is the song that signifies his stopping being of two minds and start concentrating on himself and what he wants to do, and likely stop listening to others and their opinions.

I think, (I think!) that he is releasing these so folks don't "forget" him, and that they will appreciate and enjoy the songs as they are ... and I don't think it matters,  and he won't be dismissed that easily as he has done too much for a lot of other music, much of which was not even his own, and my thoughts still are that he should concentrate on creating the SONIC image he wants on his material and do less of someone else's ... regardless of who it is, and he likes them or not.

The weird thing for me, is not hearing "influences" (other than Prince on that other song) on a lot of his music, and this one is closer to the old PT, which is still more liked than his own solo works. That is actually a good sign, and this song might just be about those "influences", however in the end, it's the same person, and I think he realizes that, but the creativity is less about the exterior as much as it is about the interior. Usually he has avoided doing the "internal" as much as he has in this song, but it may be the hint about what is changing in his music!

It's good ... although for my tastes he really needs a Kevin Godley to create the visual for one or two videos, as what was done was nice, but not original and a bit too cartoonish for my tastes. It didn't have to be so!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:57
Well...sounds like synth pop to me....can't say it does much for me. But I do like PT and his other solo lp's.
Perhaps he wants to go in an even more commercial direction. I read the recent interview and he sounds like being married with step kids is mellowing him out. I wouldn't be surprsied if that changes his musical direction.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 11:09
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...sounds like synth pop to me....can't say it does much for me. But I do like PT and his other solo lp's.
Perhaps he wants to go in an even more commercial direction. I read the recent interview and he sounds like being married with step kids is mellowing him out. I wouldn't be surprsied if that changes his musical direction.

Yeah, I'm waiting for him to start remixing all of the old Prince and Flock Of Seagulls albums. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 11:35
I more or less liked the last two singles, can't say this one did too much for me. Generally pleasant though.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 11:40
Not a whole lot in this one either, but maybe the best single so far. Can't really say how I feel about the album until I get to listen to all of it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 13:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yeah, I'm waiting for him to start remixing all of the old Prince and Flock Of Seagulls albums. LOL
Nothing wrong with AFoS...Great 80s synth new wave Clap. Prince always had Bernie Grundman master his records, so for the most part they are excellent sounding. The recent reissues by The Prince Estate are fantastic, again all using BG masters.
Steven knows he does not need to touch any Prince records and remix/remaster...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>