Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wara for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wara for Prog Folk
    Posted: October 30 2020 at 18:48
Wara is a Bolivian band that released its first album "El inca" back in 1973. The sound of the album is filled with classical andinian instruments along with modern rock instruments which make a very intresting mixture similar to Los Jaivas. They were very popular in Bolivia, and have published more albums in the late 70's. The name of their albums aren't usually in Spanish but in regional bolivian languages. The members of the group have been changing since the foundation in 1972, but two original members had remained since the beginning: Carlos Daza (guitar) and Omar León (bass guitar).

Name of the Band: Wara
Sub-genre: Prog Folk

Discography:
El inca (1973)
Maya (1975)
Paya (1976)
Oriental (1977)
Quimsa (1978)
Pusi (1982)
Pheska (1989)
Sojta (1992)
Paqallqu (1997)
Oruro (2002)
Wasitat hikisiñasawa (2001)
Kimsaqallqu (2015)

Their first album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwwMRJOJKRs
Second album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDETHn-W-0

Official website: http://waragrupo.com/

I couldn't add the picture.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 23:56
I've suggested them a decade before but they've been rejected already.

Uruk_hai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 00:29
What a shame, I think they could fit really well in the archives, at least as a Prog Related band, any chance they would give it a second shot?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 03:08
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

I've suggested them a decade before but they've been rejected already.

Damo,

I don't think we (the PF team) were consulted for this inclusion, back then.

Right now, I'm sort of alone in the team, cos Ken is busy preparing his retirement plans, but I don't see a problem in (re-)evaluating this request for inclusion.

First indications shows that it's not nearly as Amerindian/Andean sounding like Los Jaivas or Congesso (or Tamaruga), but it's clearly worth a deeper invesigation, IMHO.

RYM certainly thinks it's "prog", and Syn-Phonic carries one album in his catalogue (maybe that's all that was available in CD). I'll take it over our PF thread inthe CZWink

BTW, here are the YT albuml links imbedded

Edited by Sean Trane - October 31 2020 at 03:53
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 17:08
Hi all
Hugues, right now it's the packing and moving that is really occupying me!
I listened to these guys yesterday and I do think the first album is proggy enough for PA, but as Hugues says they don't sound nearly as folky as all that.  I wonder what heavy prog would think of them.  Some blistering solos and organ in the vein of Deep Purple.  yes there is folk here and there.  Maybe eclectic?
Ken
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 17:57
Only Eclectic have evaluated them and rejected. I would think they could be fit for heavy.
Uruk_hai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 19:25
So glad that you're giving it a second chance. I've been hearing it all over again since yesterday and I think I was wrong when I said Prog Folk, I agree with Damo, it would be better probably in Heavy Prog. I really hope you decide to add this band to the website.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 20:01
let's just see what Hugues has to say but I agree with heavy.
Thank you everyone!

Uruk_hai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 20:21
In rateyourmusic.com it is tagged under Hard Rock, Prog Folk, Andean Rock and Progressive Rock, while in discogs.com it is considered as psychedelic and symphonic rock. Just as a reference.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 20:27
^ sounds like eclectic to me...but already rejected from that category. Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 15:24
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

let's just see what Hugues has to say but I agree with heavy.
Thank you everyone!

well, TBH, I hear enough Prog Folk to include them in those YT links, but if Heavy Prog wants to claim them, it's fine with me.
I think that their later albums are folkier (I can't imagine RYM being systematically wrong).

For me, on the basis of their first two albums, it's clear the band belongs in PA, but where?

Originally posted by Uruk_hai Uruk_hai wrote:

So glad that you're giving it a second chance. I've been hearing it all over again since yesterday and I think I was wrong when I said Prog Folk, I agree with Damo, it would be better probably in Heavy Prog. I really hope you decide to add this band to the website.

Would you think you're able to write the band's bio, if they're included? Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - November 01 2020 at 15:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 15:36
Listened to the 2nd and 3rd albums and it doesn't even sound like the same group...much folkier than the debut.  So if they continued in that direction I would say prog folk is a good fit.  

Edited by kenethlevine - November 01 2020 at 16:21
Uruk_hai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 16:58
Sure, happy to!! Let's just wait to see if they are accepted.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 02:58
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Listened to the 2nd and 3rd albums and it doesn't even sound like the same group...much folkier than the debut.  So if they continued in that direction I would say prog folk is a good fit.  

Now, without having listened to their later 70's and 80's stuff (I can only imagine they went commercial ala Alan Stivell) bit I will sample ASAP, Wara seems indeed the Bolivian equivalent to Chile's Jaivas or Congresso or Argentina's Tamaruga as amerindian-folk-rock.

Edited by Sean Trane - November 02 2020 at 02:58
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 03:16
Alerted Hev Team. Thumbs Up
Uruk_hai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 11:09
Any news from the Heavy guys?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 04:40
Monte Alban & ProgArchives weren't built in one day.TongueWinkLOL PatienceSmile

AFAIAC, if Heavy doesn't take them, we (PF) will, based on their later albums.

==================

You can already prepare the band's biography. Take an example of what's been done elsewhere in the database. If you find a good webpge or dedicated website, all the better.

Then I/we will open the page with your bio (accredited to you) and if you wxant to try to add the albums yourself, you could give it a go.

Edited by Sean Trane - November 05 2020 at 04:47
Uruk_hai View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruk_hai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 10:50
Did you say Monte Alban because I'm from Oaxaca? Hahaha, nice touch! Alright, that is good to know. There's few information about them online, so I'll research for more.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 04:06
Originally posted by Uruk_hai Uruk_hai wrote:

Did you say Monte Alban because I'm from Oaxaca? Hahaha, nice touch! Alright, that is good to know. There's few information about them online, so I'll research for more.

I wish the band's second album had been called either Zapotec or Olmec, rather than MayaLOL

Loved the place/area when I visited it in the vearly 80's (also passed by Mitla) - stayed at La Misión de Los Angeles  - though I suspect it looks rather different nowadays.

Edited by Sean Trane - November 06 2020 at 04:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 06:33
I have friends who spent several winters in Oaxaca and loved it.  Oh to return to those travel days again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>