Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two classic horror/suspense movies from 1960

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer, "Psycho" or "Peeping Tom"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [66.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two classic horror/suspense movies from 1960
    Posted: October 31 2020 at 06:36
Two horror/suspense classics from 1960. Please only vote if you have seen both.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 07:52
Peeping Tom a classic?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Peeping Tom a classic?

It was torn apart by the critics when it came out but is now regarded to be a classic. Martin Scorcese was the first one to praise it. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it. Great acting by Carl Boehm! Extremely influential as well; many things that are now standard in horror movies appear in "Peeping Tom" for the first time.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 31 2020 at 08:09

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 08:35
I think I saw Peeping Tom long ago, I'd need to re-watch it to vote here. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 09:14
The original Psycho is a classic.....frankly never heard of Peeping Tom.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Peeping Tom a classic?

It was torn apart by the critics when it came out but is now regarded to be a classic. Martin Scorcese was the first one to praise it. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it. Great acting by Carl Boehm! Extremely influential as well; many things that are now standard in horror movies appear in "Peeping Tom" for the first time.

The rules were no vote if you haven't seen both. PT was okay, but not as creepy as Psycho. Doubt many here have seen PT.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 09:47
In my opinion "Peeping Tom" is way more creepy than "Psycho". A killer who films his victims while dying? Come on, that's extremely creepy! I like both movies equally though; the creepiness is by no means all there is to them.

It is a British film, and since most people on this site are American you are probably right they have not seen it. Most Americans watch only American movies. Luckily there are a lot of exceptions on this site.

The movie is on YouTube; you can watch it here:

And this is what Scorcese had to say about the movie:

Edited by BaldFriede - October 31 2020 at 10:14

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 10:16
I have seen both movies and agree that both deal with some extremely unpalatable subject matter in a confrontational but, albeit at box office level, entertaining way. That said, there is a prevailing assumption in some circles that both movies represent violence against women as an overriding shared theme. IMO the most shocking scene in Psycho is not the much heralded shower scene with Janet Leigh, but the attack on Detective Milton Arbogast on the staircase. Does this make me cherry picking misogynist?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 10:51

In my opinion "Peeping Tom" is way more creepy than "Psycho". A killer who films his victims while dying? Come on, that's extremely creepy!
A man who has his mothers corpse, dressed and sitting in a rocking chair in his home. Who has frequent conversations with her, and she tells him to kill these people. Not to mention that he also is a voyeur and has several peepholes in his motel. That is more creepy than PT.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 11:17

In my opinion "Peeping Tom" is way more creepy than "Psycho". A killer who films his victims while dying? Come on, that's extremely creepy!
A man who has his mothers corpse, dressed and sitting in a rocking chair in his home. Who has frequent conversations with her, and she tells him to kill these people. Not to mention that he also is a voyeur and has several peepholes in his motel. That is more creepy than PT.

Norman Bates only does it in his motel, Mark Lewis does it in the streets. And I still consider filming women while they are dying to be more creepy than what Norman Bates does.

Also "Psycho" did not cause a scandal; "Peeping Tom" did. It was banned from cinemas for about twenty years.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:33
Psycho
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply