Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Flower Kings - Islands (Out Now)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flower Kings - Islands (Out Now)
    Posted: October 31 2020 at 08:02
Ok, I admit, I was wrong about this band. I've never been a fan of this group and I've been vocal about that here on PA. But wow, this album is gorgeous! I don't know what it is, but the sound and songs presented here all really resonate with me, beautiful melodic prog. Despite a long album length, the songs are all really easy to listen to while still maintaining that aspect of complexity and nonconventional song structure that we all love in this genre. Beautiful work and I'd be surprised if this didn't make my end of the year top 3, this one has me strangely emotional Thumbs Up
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 11:04
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Ok, I admit, I was wrong about this band. I've never been a fan of this group and I've been vocal about that here on PA. But wow, this album is gorgeous! I don't know what it is, but the sound and songs presented here all really resonate with me, beautiful melodic prog. Despite a long album length, the songs are all really easy to listen to while still maintaining that aspect of complexity and nonconventional song structure that we all love in this genre. Beautiful work and I'd be surprised if this didn't make my end of the year top 3, this one has me strangely emotional Thumbs Up

excellent review 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 07:46
Gonna bump this, what's everyone's thoughts? I'm gonna order the LP i'm loving this.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 08:18

Welcome to the club! There already is a TFK Appreciation thread, go there and post your thoughts.......Many of us have been for years.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 00:46
I do like this album especially the 'sound' of it. It has proper spacing of instruments and none of that horrible compression that is so prevalent in many modern prog albums. The drumming and bass work is especially great. My only question is whether it really needed to be a double? Strong album though and very nice artwork and packaging. Will certainly be in my top five albums for the year (Deep Purple, Wobbler, Glass Hammer and IO Earth being the others) and that's never happened before!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 00:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Welcome to the club! There already is a TFK Appreciation thread, go there and post your thoughts.......Many of us have been for years.

Oh yes

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 00:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I do like this album especially the 'sound' of it. It has proper spacing of instruments and none of that horrible compression that is so prevalent in many modern prog albums. The drumming and bass work is especially great. My only question is whether it really needed to be a double? Strong album though and very nice artwork and packaging. Will certainly be in my top five albums for the year (Deep Purple, Wobbler, Glass Hammer and IO Earth being the others) and that's never happened before!

Wow that`s awesome...My own top five at the moment are jockeying for the first place LOL

Music Is Live

<
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 01:01
I have never really caught on to TFK. Desolation Rose is probably what I have played the most.

Part of it has to do with Stolt's vocals, which hasn't clicked with me yet.

I'll give Islands some attempts and see what becomes of it. Another "issue" is the length. I used to love long albums, but these days I find them to sometimes be a struggle to get through. Especially if the music isn't moving me that much.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 19:24
I've had this album a week now and played it twice. What surprises me is the amount of orchestra on the new album. First impression is it's not as good as the previous album, but there's so much music to listen to it'll take time to assess. That people could write reviews of the album so soon after it's released I think is a bit premature. It's not the sort of album to take in after a couple of listens. However some people get music very quickly while others need time to get it. I'm in the latter category.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:57
Gonna write a review for this tomorrow, i'm still a little split on where I want to rate this. We need half stars!!!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 10:24
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I've had this album a week now and played it twice. What surprises me is the amount of orchestra on the new album. First impression is it's not as good as the previous album, but there's so much music to listen to it'll take time to assess. That people could write reviews of the album so soon after it's released I think is a bit premature. It's not the sort of album to take in after a couple of listens. However some people get music very quickly while others need time to get it. I'm in the latter category.

I'm hoping its better than the last album, which I do like but now find it a bit tedious a listen, maybe it is just me. The version I ordered was very delayed in production, should arrive this week I was told.  

Everyone wants to be first I guess.....but yea I agree an album that is 2+ hours long takes time to soak in.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 14:35
I was surprised when I first heard this one too. It was much better than I expected. It probably won't be in my top 20, but is certainly a well-deserved, solid four-star album. I would rate it around 8.25 on a 10 scale. Roine still has a lot of creativity up his sleeves.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:38
Big fan. Love TFK's and Islands is another terrific album from a man that doesn't ever disappoint - Roine Stolt.
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply