Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic prog bands with orchestra?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 04:44

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would think the Enid would be one of the most obvious examples of a band that composed and played music that sounds like an orchestra but I'm not sure if they ever actually played with one.

Good suggestion. I have listened to a few albums, but know little of their catalogue, which I see is quite large.

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Solaris

I have listened to them, but sparsely since they have limited tracks on Spotify and even difficult to find on Youtube. Not on Bandcamp either. Maybe I can find them somewhere else.

Originally posted by The
Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Well, Deep Purple released Concerto for Group and Orchestra with the Royal Philharmonic (1969), which was written by Jon Lord specifically for the combo. But for my money, I would suggest that Procol Harum Live: In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, which was not written for a symphony, is far more moving and deep. Nothing comes close to the power of this collaboration:

I love Procol Harum and they has got some stellar live performances with orchestra. It’s not exactly what I was looking for, but great prog played with an orchestra often becomes something great.

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Camel Snow Goose

Amazing album. They do have an orchestra listed on the PA info site, but I can’t recall how much is was used. Guess I gave myself an excuse to listen to it again.

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Zappa Zappa Zappa. Though his stuff is more in the vein of Contemporary composers like Schoenberg, Stravinksy, Varèse, etc.

He has pieces that sound like they were composed with orchestra in mind, but were played by a rock group. I think this is really clear on live versions of Dog Breath/Uncle Meat from 73 and 74. Some of those pieces ended up being arranged for orchestra, while others were originally WRITTEN for orchestra, like Bob in Dacron or Mo 'n' Herb's Vacation. Check out his London Symphony Orchestra volumes or The Yellow Shark for examples of both (not for the faint of heart).

I have never gotten into Zappa, but I’ll check out some of those suggestions. I’m primarily looking for music written for and recorded with an orchestra.

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

How about some Põhja Konn?

Check out the song Avamäng 2020

I like what I heard, so I’ll check out some more. Thanks.

Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

I am not sure I understand the question.  There are a lot of prog bands that would fit well to a symphonic orchestra (or their songs might as well have been written for an orchestra).  Since they are bands or artists I am not sure if they specifically set out to have a full orchestra in mind when they write their compositions, but it would transfer well.  Many use bits and pieces of orchestral instruments on and off all the time.

If you want to listen to a true orchestra sound then could just start with these in addition to previously mentioned ones.

* Mike Oldfield's The Orchestral Tubular Bells with the London Symphony Orchestra.
* Caravan & The New Symphonia
* The Taliesin Orchestra - Doing Enya - The Orinoco Flow (New Age)
* The Moody Blues - A Night at Bedrocks
* The Moody Blues - Live At The Royal Albert Hall With The World Festival Orchestra
* Symphonic Yes

Pick almost any prog band and turn it to orchestra.  But for me the best example will always be Orchestral Tubular Bells.

Isilidur's Bane especially Mind Vol.1 whenever I listen to it I keep thinking that an orchestra should play it.

Some of those I’m familiar with, some not. I’ll make sure to try them all. These are prime examples of what I want, IF the original album was written and recorded that way. I love listening to familiar albums with orchestra added, but I would like to find some new music that I’m not familiar with, and where the orchestra is in the original recording. I suppose symphonic versions of albums I haven’t heard before in the original version also works to some degree since I’m not used to the original recording.

I don’t know how to explain it more than I already have, but I’ll try.

There are many great prog rock albums that has been performed live or on an album with the addition of an orchestra, but the music was originally not written for one. I’ll accept those submissions, but most of them I’ve either heard or heard the original album. I’m interested in discovering new music.

I’ll try with some examples and explain why it does or does not fit the main goal.

Yes – Symphonic Live: No, because they are playing music Yes originally made without an orchestra in mind.
Stravinsky: No, but a little bit yes I suppose. The music was written years before pop and rock, so it wasn’t made with those ideas in mind. Parts of it may be deemed somewhat proggy, but I’m mostly looking for music from the 60’s and later, which has been influenced by rock.
The Enid: Yes, because they wrote music and recorded it with orchestral elements.
Snow Goose: Yes, same reason as above.

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

You could try the Blue Jays album with Justin Hayward & John Lodge, or either of Ray Thomas' two solo albums. Thumbs Up

I like the few sample songs I’ve tried so far, but the orchestral elements aren’t too pronounced. Will try some more.

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

ELO?

I tried ELO a few times, but they haven’t made me excited so far. I’ll give them a new try with this subject in mind.

Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

Salisbury

I found a UK band, but not orchestral examples. Any albums you specifically thought of? If I found the correct band that is.

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Mahavishnu Orchestra

I’m familiar with them, but do they have orchestral elements (besides the name)?

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 04:53
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

Salisbury

Maybe this refers to the Uriah Heep album of that name?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5895

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:13
I'm a bit confused by your question too. But written symphonic for prog, I would say Aaron Copland with Fanfare For The Common Man. Not purposefully, naturally. Big smile

Edited by SteveG - November 02 2020 at 05:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:47
Steve Hackett's Metamorpheus probably qualifies.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 06:07
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Steve Hackett's Metamorpheus probably qualifies.

Good call, and he did a Midsummer Nights Dream with the Royal Philharmonic.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 06:19

There are many great prog rock albums that has been performed live or on an album with the addition of an orchestra, but the music was originally not written for one. I’ll accept those submissions, but most of them I’ve either heard or heard the original album. I’m interested in discovering new music.

Here are another couple more that you might want to try out:

London Philharmonic Orchestra: Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin

London Philharmonic Orchestra: Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 07:31

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Mahavishnu Orchestra

I’m familiar with them, but do they have orchestral elements (besides the name)?

From Wikipedia:

Apocalypse is the Mahavishnu Orchestra's fourth album, released in 1974.

It is performed by the second line-up of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the London Symphony Orchestra. It was produced by George Martin, who regards it as “one of the best records [he has] ever made”.[5]

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 07:34
Does chamber music count? "Prelude: Song of the Gulls" (instrumental) from Islands, written by R. Fripp.

Edited by SteveG - November 02 2020 at 07:35
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 07:41
Barclay James Harvest were another band that worked extensively with orchestra's early on (before the record company decided it was too expensive!)
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 08:24
Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1 comes to mind (though I don't think it's very good, personally)
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 09:16
Magnification by Yes was written for an orchestra. Larry Groupé wrote the orchestration for the album. Personally speaking, Magnification is one of Yes' most underrated, under appreciated albums. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 09:42
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1 comes to mind (though I don't think it's very good, personally)
It's been a long time since I heard it, but I do recall thinking on first listening to Works that it felt like the result of someone setting out to demonstrate that they could write a piano concerto, rather than someone whose musical ideas required to be expressed in the form of a piano concerto.

Which is probably just a pretentious way of saying I didn't like it much either Wink

Edited by Mascodagama - November 02 2020 at 09:45
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 11:37
prog related - "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin was recorded with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 12:03
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet but I'll say:

...di terra by Banco

This album was recorded with an orchestra and has elements of classical and jazz. Pretty underrated album imo and an absolute must own for anyone into this kind of thing.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 15:42
One of my favorites by Mahavishu Orchestra....electric instruments plus orchestra plus choral vocals!  Heaven!

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 16:18
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 20:28
^You can also listen to a more contemporary concert released on the album "200 Motels: The Suites," released in 2015.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 06:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

One of my favorites by Mahavishu Orchestra....electric instruments plus orchestra plus choral vocals!  Heaven!

Yes, this is quite sublime! Clap

Edited by SteveG - November 03 2020 at 06:01
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 08:47

Has anyone written prog rock for orchestra? I have heard some compositions that some would perhaps slide into a prog genre, but is there anything that is prog rock?

Hi,

I don't think so, but then, I consider a lot of the music we love, the "classical music" of out time, by the folks our age, and this idea formulates some different things.

For example, TFTO would be a Symphony for a rock group, done in 4 parts. CTTE is a symphonic work. 

This is a problem, though, since a lot of folks here on PA do not think that "progressive rock" or "prog" should/could do anything with an orchestra. Many groups have used an orchestra IN THE BACKGROUND, and only Caravan, that I remember actually had some music written to be added to the score for the orchestra to augment the concert ... but prog/progressive fans do not like that album, and (sometimes) I wonder what the problem is ... and the issue is ... progressive rock and prog fans, want to get away from classical music, even if many of the groups were inspired by a lot of classical music and many of their players had some form of music training that had classical tendencies, not modern tendencies!

I think the time will come when someone will write for an orchestra, but when we revere someone that only plays 6 or 7 different keyboard instruments, and basically does the same thing on them, it makes it almost impossible for any great creators of music to actually do something.

Wait a minute ... we got a problem! Folks like Ryuichi Sakamoto has written for an orchestra, and even has an Oscar in his closet for it! But that doesn't count because he is not "prog" or "progressive" within the description by the book of colors.

My thoughts are that eventually, an orchestra will be included ... with one problem, it will have to be several synthesizers playing it since hiring an orchestra these days is prohibitive and their musician's union, has killed their ability to even play at the MET, since there is not enough money to go around ... and the answer is?

Orchestra's will be dead for a while and will only be revived the day that keyboard players stop playing the same thing on keyboards, and start adding music to it, in the style of classical music ... when in most cases the keyboards are just doing melody and background for the guitar player. Until the day that this rock'n'roll idea gets dumped and changed, I don't think that it is possible, and music quality will suffer tremendously for it ... but our tastes are fickle ... for hundreds of years people hated "new music" ... because they didn't know it or heard it so they could evaluate ... and we are doing the same thing!

Edited by moshkito - November 03 2020 at 08:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

only Caravan, that I remember actually had some music written to be added to the score for the orchestra to augment the concert ... but prog/progressive fans do not like that album, and (sometimes) I wonder what the problem is ... and the issue is ... progressive rock and prog fans, want to get away from classical music, 

Not true - I'm more than happy with classical music in prog, and I also like that Caravan album. Don't tarnish everyone with the same brush.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>