Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South American Avant Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote buhrecords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South American Avant Prog
    Posted: November 02 2020 at 22:16
Do you know these South American bands that mix chamber, progressive, and avant garde music?

SALES DE BAÑO

https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/album/geometr-a-del-v-nculo

NICOTINA ES PRIMAVERA

https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/album/perder-planetas

https://buhrecords.bandcamp.com/album/br77-nicotina-es-primavera-animal-cer-mico
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 00:17
Thanks, I'll check these out
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:35
Hi,

Disgraceful ... that folks in this board are ignoring this and don't have something to add. Even if an Admin would give us a list from the database which probably exists somewhere already!

Sadly, I do not have a name to place here as I am in the process of listening to many of these and can not, at this time, tell you enough about these ... but there are many other bands, probably not considered "prog" or "progressive" that I have been listening to ... the Chilean group that sounds like Neu/Harmonia and is doing some far out things ... the Brazilian group Fola Brazillia has got me loving the stuff and just ordered some more. 

Again, my problem is that I do not listen to "styles" at all ... I listen to music and where it comes from has never bothered me and I enjoyed it all the same. And I look for more than just Los Jaivas.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:39
You know you can run a top 100 by country and genre, right?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hi,

That would be for the original poster. I'm not one for showing that some of us are smart ... and the rest stupid because they do not know or can not pull out such from a database.

What bothers me is that if this were a Genesis thread it would already have 100 replies ... but because it is NOT, then no one gives a damn, which makes it so obvious that those folks don't listen to anything else but the top five or top ten ... South American what? ... is what this thread is showing!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:53
Love the logic, no posts in a thread equals everyone only listening to top 10. You might be stretching a touch there.
Ian

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 10:00

I've made similar suggestions for things like this in the past and the typical answer is usually along the lines of "people like the personal touch" which ofcourse basically just means people want recommendations by other people and not algorithms. I get where your coming from though. It would be easier to do a search but apparently some people want personal opinions on specific albums which you can't really get from a list.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 05 2020 at 10:03
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 11:10
Originally posted by buhrecords buhrecords wrote:

SALES DE BAÑO

NICOTINA ES PRIMAVERA

For those who want to check these out, I've changed the non-functional hyperlinks to working ones in the quote above.

EDIT: Just listening to the Sales de Baño album and it's rather good so far.

Edited by Mascodagama - November 05 2020 at 11:14
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 01:08
I finally got around to listening to these and they're pretty cool; a good balance of improvised material and rigid out-of-the-box compositions. I'll be sure to pay attention to your label from now on Thumbs Up
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 04:46
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Disgraceful ... that folks in this board are ignoring this and don't have something to add. Even if an Admin would give us a list from the database which probably exists somewhere already!

You know, looking at the sequence number of entry, both of these bands were introduced in the DB years ago (both are +/- 9700, and we're currently at 11400)... Geek
Yeah, Sales didn't get written reviews, but Nicotin did. Stern Smile

Sadly, I do not have a name to place here as I am in the process of listening to many of these and can not, at this time, tell you enough about these ... but there are many other bands, probably not considered "prog" or "progressive" that I have been listening to ... the Chilean group that sounds like Neu/Harmonia and is doing some far out things ... the Brazilian group Fola Brazillia has got me loving the stuff and just ordered some more. 

Again, my problem is that I do not listen to "styles" at all ... I listen to music and where it comes from has never bothered me and I enjoyed it all the same. And I look for more than just Los Jaivas.

you know of Chilean band Akineton Retard ?

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2074

Tryo is also Chilean, BTW.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 08:09

Love the logic, no posts in a thread equals everyone only listening to top 10. You might be stretching a touch there.

Hi,

Not really ... it just shows the "individuality" that created "progressive music" way back when CAN NOT POSSIBLY EXIST in an era like ours right now, when folks are NOT INTERESTED in anything except the favorites ... so they can pat themselves in the back and say ... it doesn't sell like my favorite #1 did!

It's not about the music, then, is it? And folks not posting here, is not about the music, since many of them would have something to say about it, at the very least ... 
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 08:41
Hi,

Sales de Bano (can't remember how to get the tilde ... sorry!)

It was nice, for once, to listen to something that was not setup as a "song" and it's continuity as a piece of music is very nice and enjoyable, if not unusual, and likely owing more to a lot of classical music, than it does rock music or jazz music, where almost all pieces are set and defined by the same format more often than not.

Sales de Bano is very nice and different and quite enjoyable, if your tastes are not defined by some kind of top ten mentality ... as all the instruments used here seem to have the same level of usage ... I never felt like a guitar, horn or drums were more valuable and important than the rest of the piece of music, which is a delight.

The only sad thing is that listing this on PA is likely not the right place for it to be, but it is "progressive" in that it is very different and is not defined by "convention" or "format" and its independence from commercial pieces of music are something that is probably at the center of their work, at least this album "Geometria del vinculo".

Wonderful material and it kinda makes you want to hear more! And more I will!

Nicotina es Primavera

Like the group mentioned above, listening to this was a treat and for some reason reminded me of the early days of Egberto Gismonti and the Academia de Dancas ... in its almost totally palyful bits and pieces within the musci, a wonderful feeling ... and I never felt like it was just a song ... it was simply a wonderful listen, somewhat jazz for lack of a better interpretation of it, and not defined by rock music elements ... what a relief that was! 

There is, in both of these groups a nice sense of quietness and musicality that is not always present in just about in all rock groups that have to make sure the guitar does this, the drummer does that and the solo goes here and so on ... both of these groups seem very well defined in that the music flows very well and if it is composed, at the very least it seems to have so much freedom for expression, something that is not just done with a sound effect.

Great listens ... sadly I don't know how these will fit in PA ... since in many ways, these two might be considered more "jazz" than "rock" ... and here the fans only like their top rock bands ... and they will NEVER listen to something like these two bands ... a wonderful set of music and thank you for posting this ... it was a worthwhile listen and then some!

Edited by moshkito - November 13 2020 at 09:05
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 09:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Not really ... it just shows the "individuality" that created "progressive music" way back when CAN NOT POSSIBLY EXIST in an era like ours right now, when folks are NOT INTERESTED in anything except the favorites ... so they can pat themselves in the back and say ... it doesn't sell like my favorite #1 did!

It's not about the music, then, is it? And folks not posting here, is not about the music, since many of them would have something to say about it, at the very least ... 

Your premise is flawed, there are loads of people listening to new music you just keep reiterating the same arguments as if that makes them true.
Ian

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 12:48

Your premise is flawed, there are loads of people listening to new music you just keep reiterating the same arguments as if that makes them true.

Hi,

And your denials just show how much you care for this music ... by, instead commenting on me, instead of the music! I have no problems with disagreements, but at least back it up, and you don't.

For a "special collaborator", you should/could be a little more enthused about commenting on the music, not on me! 
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 09:58
 Maybe people aren’t contributing because they don’t know enough, or anything, that fits the description. I listen to a lot of South American music, but I wouldn’t describe any of it as above.

From Argentina, most recently I have become acquainted with Akenathon and Àuryn, both of whom I have added my reviews to this site (originally published at The Progressive Aspect). From that country, I also enjoy music by Bubu, Defórmica, Gardenia, Lenin, and the various projects of Rodrigo San Martin (including under his name, Souls Ignite, Astral Platypus, etc.), among others.

From Brazil, most recently I have become acquainted with Maquinas, who put out a great album at the end of last year. I also enjoy music from Caravela Escarlate, Cobalt Blue, Dialeto, Stratus Luna, Sub Rosa, and the various projects of Will Geraldo (including under his name, Death by Visitation of God, The Opposite of Hate, and Violent Attitude If Noticed, etc.), among others.

It would be easy to go on, but I don’t feel I’m adding much. Indeed, I’m writing this only to show that just because people don’t reply, doesn’t mean they don’t care, or don’t listen. I’m on Nogbad’s side here, and I wouldn’t have posted at all if it were not for Moshkito’s flawed thinking. Sorry if anything here offends, as it is not meant to. I am only a newbie, after all, so I don’t know all the ins and outs of this forum. I intend to follow the links posted, and maybe then I’ll have a better idea of what kind of music is being asked for.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 12:26
Masterpeice

Meridian Brothers - Salvadora Robo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsdUmpjsYyY&t=11s&ab_channel=SoundwayRecords
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Maybe people aren’t contributing because they don’t know enough, or anything, that fits the description. I listen to a lot of South American music, but I wouldn’t describe any of it as above.
Hi,

Welcome.

Knowing something/anything is only as good as one's attention. However, when that attention is centered on one thing only, it has a tendency to make the world "smaller" (for lack of a better set of words).

While there are, many folks here that DO LISTEN to a lot of things, one of the things that you will find is that some of them, if you kept track, will rarely, if ever, post a whole lot in the threads that are not the most well known ones ... and sadly, this is something that I saw happening on radio 45 years ago ... and one gentleman even gave it back ... someone said that Golden Earring was not Rock'n'roll by interrupting the song, and the DJ, slowed the album down to a stop (like the Pompeii PF film) and said ... WHO CARES! IT'S GREAT MUSIC, and then brought it back up. The song was "Are You Receiving Me?" ... no kidding just to give you an idea of how off center one can be! Oh, btw, the next month GE was a huge seller in the Southern California area!

I'm not here to "harass" anyone. I'm here because I love a lot of music, and I listen to many different things, but just about saying anything, here, at times, gets someone's feathers all wrinkled and they end up posting something personal ... not ANYTHING ABOUT THE MUSIC AT ALL. And to me, it just speaks volumes ... that the interest in some folks is NOT, necessarily, THE MUSIC ... it's their ... who knows? And their next posting, will be in a Genesis or Yes, or Jethro Tull thread!

You know, folks are not "invisible" ... just like the music isn't ... but my own personal attention is to help these groups, and you might have seen my comments on 2 of the groups ... and not think ... wait a minute ... he just posted this and the other guy didn't post anything! It makes it really easy to think that he/she simply did not listen to it, because the music (possibly) does not connect culturally with them, to the point that it makes it difficult to say anything!

Indeed, I’m writing this only to show that just because people don’t reply, doesn’t mean they don’t care, or don’t listen.

Out of curiosity ... if you had heard something, you probably had something to say about it. If you haven't, you wouldn't. And some folks if they know/heard it, and don't post ... that's fine ... but, honestly, after seeing the interest being on my comment instead of something to say about the music ... takes out a lot of intelligent people that are not going to say anything because it will be misinterpreted and ignored.

Sorry if anything here offends, as it is not meant to. 

None taken ... your comments are appreciated.

I was born into a house with a very high level of literature and got to hear a lot of those folks discuss many things ... and one of the comments that has always stuck with me was Andre Malraux ... if no one says anything, they do not have the courage of the artist ... (slight translation) ... to create some work!

I can only hope that someone learns the courage it takes to create some work and stand up for it ... but in a commercially driven location and world, it is always thought that the "public" has more rights than the artist. History, has shown us ... that all along that is a very bad interpretation of what the arts are all about ... but I guess that so much of this music is not considered art ... or they would have a lot more respect for it? 

IT IS ART for me!

Edited by moshkito - November 14 2020 at 14:17
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 14:47
^I agree that new bands should be discussed more than endless Genesis threads. But, the majority of current forum members are happy listening to the same records forever. That's okay. Some of us enjoy new music and try to share it and some of these threads fall through the cracks or there is no interest. There is no way to force others to try new things. What do you suggest PA members do to spread the word for new music?

I have not heard the bands mentioned here, but I'll put them on my list.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 14 2020 at 14:59
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 02:56
It is a rainy Sunday morning, I finished my croissant au beurre and enjoy now my coffee and the music put up here.
I listened to Sales de Baño and liked it very much. The first two tracks have a lot of unrest in them and the trumpet is going a bit in too many directions to my liking, but they keep something captivating and intriguing. But the rest of the album is really very good. It has much of a contemporary/avant-garde music ensemble feel to me, with some rock instruments and electronics and a clear jazz approach. Will listen to it again (and eventually buy the album...).

The first Nicotina es Primavera album - Perder Planetas - is very nice too, maybe a bit more accessible at first listen than Sales de Baño (is it because it is more "conventional" jazz/contemporary music?). Now listening to Animal Cerámico...
Of these two bands so far I prefer the first one, but they're both very good listens.

Edited by suitkees - November 15 2020 at 02:57

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

There is no way to force others to try new things. What do you suggest PA members do to spread the word for new music?

Hi,

My thoughts probably differ ... I would suggest that all "admins" and "collaborators" have to be more involved in the discussions of new groups and new music, to help place it "in perspective" with the current well known material.

I'm not sure this is possible however, as DamoX, and only a couple of folks actually post in his thread and I'm willing to bet my fortune of dog food boxes that it is likely one of the most ignored threads, despite it having such an incredible listing and links for so much work. I'm not even sure that anyone else that is an "admin" or "collaborator" here, puts out as much as DamoX does ... 

It just might be that some work is not visible ... but invisible "art" is not going to go very far, and our loving music has already had 50+ years and it has NEVER been invisible, so seeing folks keep it so, is weird for me ... 
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>