Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trees Speak for Krautrock (or electronic prog)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trees Speak for Krautrock (or electronic prog)
    Posted: November 03 2020 at 05:50
A duo of brothers from Frisco (I think)

Trees Speak has released two album this year

First album (Ohms) can be heard here:

Second album (Shadow Forms) can be heard here:

Edited by Sean Trane - November 03 2020 at 05:51
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 02:24
I'm listening now ...

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 02:42
yep, neo krautrock ... and forwarded to the PSIKE evaluation board

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

yep, neo krautrock ... and forwarded to the PSIKE evaluation board

Hi,

I was thinking that it did not exactly fit "krautrock" at all, but within electronic something or other it fits better.

While I like it, I think it is a bit too much on the "pop" side of things and not developed enough to be considered "krautrock", that even had a reputation for not wanting to stop and use the same closing bars as most rock music! I want to watch this gain, but I don't see improvisation much ... to even come close to the term/area requested.

Edited by moshkito - November 04 2020 at 08:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 13:24
^you won't find any band 100% fitting a subgenre, a matter of convergency or dominance or whatever in most cases
my initial verdict was based on their album 'Ohms' released this year, which shows significant krautrock elements

time will tell

Edited by Rivertree - November 04 2020 at 13:30

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 04:38

^you won't find any band 100% fitting a subgenre, a matter of convergency or dominance or whatever in most cases
my initial verdict was based on their album 'Ohms' released this year, which shows significant krautrock elements

time will tell

Thanks Uwe.Wink

I also think TS is more krautrock than e-prog, beit in the Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze area or Cluster-Harmonia-earlier Kraftwerk zone or the Can-Neu-LAD region.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 05:53

^you won't find any band 100% fitting a subgenre

Magma = Zeuhl?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 08:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

time will tell

Thanks Uwe.Wink

I also think TS is more krautrock than e-prog, beit in the Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze area or Cluster-Harmonia-earlier Kraftwerk zone or the Can-Neu-LAD region.

Hi,

My thoughts are that it is too much pop music oriented with "songs" ... which is something that none of us could accuse the early material listed by Sean a whole lot.

The idea in "krautrock" was much more about the value and extension of the sound and specific event at the moment, than it was about a song itself ... and these excursions often went much more than 3 or 4 or 5 minutes into an area that some of us (SOME OF US) would mostly consider "tripping" than we would consider it a song, or even a piece of music!

The main difference for me is that this group has a "polished" electronic sound, and this was something that all the early German folks did not have because the machines were new and did not have the clean sounding anything ... not to mention that many of these folks were also just learning what this knob or that knob did and how it could be used ... thus, something like TREES SPEAK, would not, necessarily, fit into that "experimental" area ... and I AGREE ... there is a problem here ... that this particular period will never be duplicated ... since the instruments these days ... do not make for similar sounding things, not to mention that many of these folks don't even "know" how to make a knob turn take 2 to 3 minutes, like so many of those early folks did when they were learning about the instrument called synthesizer.

These days, that "idea" of a knob turning, for example, is totally gone and replaced by a pre-recorded sound already in the synthesizer with an added something or other ... not to mention that in those days, they had real drummers ... !!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 05:35
I relistenedf to the first album (Ohms) and found plenty of Can, Neu! (and more in that direction)  in some tracks and in others, plenty of Tangerine Dream & K Schulze

I know the site has the last two as e-prog, but that's screwed. 
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 07:40
two YES votes so far, it takes some time ...

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 09:06
Third vote in and cleared

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 11:53
... and done

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 02:16
You guys are better than medical staff during a pandemic: You're my heroes Hug

Big smile

I didn't even know abpout thar first album. Embarrassed

Edited by Sean Trane - November 14 2020 at 02:20
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

You guys are better than medical staff during a pandemic: You're my heroes Hug

Big smile

I didn't even know abpout thar first album. Embarrassed

The Trees Spoke to us and said "add us or else..." i ain't messin' with no talkin trees!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply