Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grumblewood - Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grumblewood - Prog Folk
    Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:47
Grumblewood are a progressive folk rock quartet that hail from in and around Wellington, New Zealand. The band formed in 2016 and consists of Gav Bromfield (Vocals, Flute, Acoustic Guitar, Piano), Salvatore Richichi (Guitars, Mandolin, Mandola, Banjo), Morgan Jones (Bass, Bouzouki, Harspichord), and Phil Aldridge (Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals).

In 2020 the band were signed by UK progressive rock label Gravity Dream (Cosmograf, The Bardic Depths). Their debut album ’Stories of Strangers’ was released in November 2020 and was recorded, mixed, and mastered using only vintage analogue equipment and production techniques for that authentic early 70s sound.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 15:24
I’d have them in simply on the basis of the name - love it!

I’ll take a listen to this tomorrow evening. Sounds like I might like it (sorry, but I no longer have any influence over them being added).
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 09:02
Listening to them  at the moment via Spotify .  Enjoyable, and  they certainly seem to have a fair amount of talent. I think that the  Prog Folk label fits, Folk Rock but with all sorts of unexpected twists and improvisation. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 12:55
Fairly kick-ass vintage stuff.  They nailed that old brown sound.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 01:41
Been listening to this and it's going to be mighty difficult to reject this Tull-clone away from Prog Folk.

Entertaining stuff for sure.Thumbs Up

Let's see what Ken has to chime-in (think he's very busy in private life matters, right now), but I doubt he'll hesitate long, once he drops by.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 09:22
yes definitely in prog folk.  Does the OP want to do up a bio? or I can just make one up based on what is readily available
Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 22:55
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

yes definitely in prog folk.  Does the OP want to do up a bio? or I can just make one up based on what is readily available

I can do if you like, but I am a member of the band so it would probably be better for objectivity if you put it together. Happy to provide any details necessary.

Edited by Xyth - November 11 2020 at 22:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 00:42
Originally posted by Xyth Xyth wrote:

I can do if you like, but I am a member of the band so it would probably be better for objectivity if you put it together. Happy to provide any details necessary.

fair enoughLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 11:15
OK I will write it and run it by you all then, unless Hugues has a burning desire to do so
Thanks!

Edited by kenethlevine - November 12 2020 at 11:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 11:21

OK I will write it and run it by you all then, unless Hugues has a burning desire to do so
Thanks!

your hand Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 19:04
added.  Let me know if I missed or misrepresented anything.  I'd love to have a bit of information that isn't anywhere else out there about you, like how you got interested in this vintage sound, who are your favorites, including some newer acts, because there is, I shudder to say, something a bit modern sounding about you as well!

Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 17:25

added.  Let me know if I missed or misrepresented anything.

Looks really great. Only adjustment I'd like to make would be the second sentence. Though we've gigged a lot we haven't really 'toured' as such yet and we spent a good 2 years in the studio. So something like this is probably a bit more accurate:

"Formed in 2016, they spent several years performing live and honing their style and studiocraft."

I'd love to have a bit of information that isn't anywhere else out there about you, like how you got interested in this vintage sound, who are your favorites, including some newer acts, because there is, I shudder to say, something a bit modern sounding about you as well!

Other than our general love of music from the early 70s, the main catalyst for our pursuit of the vintage analogue sound is our guitarist Sal. He's a producer and recording engineer and used to have an analogue studio in Los Angeles before emigrating to NZ. When we formed Grumblewood it gave him the perfect excuse to build another.

We're often compared to Tull which is fair and a massive compliment, but Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, and Uriah Heep are similarly important influences. Probably some Caravan, Camel, Gryphon, Gentle Giant, Strawbs, and Rare Bird too, at least in terms of prog acts. We're quite varied in our music taste as individuals and a lot of what we each bring to the band isn't necessarily prog or folk. One of Gav's heroes is Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, etc) so that's definitely a strong modern-ish influence on our style. Sal got into folk rock via Circulus and analogue recording via Witchcraft.

I can't speak for the other guys but my favourite modern prog acts are probably Big Big Train, Cosmograf, Phideaux, Abel Ganz, Moon Safari, and Riverside.

Hope that helps. Many thanks for adding us to the archives!

Edited by Xyth - November 17 2020 at 17:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 20:16
That's a big help thanks!  I will add in some of these details
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 03:32
Originally posted by Xyth Xyth wrote:

Hope that helps. Many thanks for adding us to the archives!

Well it was our total pleasure and TBH, a no-brainer.
Many demands or suggestion are not quite that easy to decypher.
Your album could come up in the site's top 20, who knows. Certainly wioll figure in my top 20 of 2020 prog

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 04:57
Listening to the album now - The Minstrel is currently playing - and it is a very pleasant listen indeed. I'm afraid I have to send an additional letter to Santa Claus...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 08:37
ps I made the changes so have a look
yes I need to get on the review program again before someone beats me to it!
Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 13:37
Changes look good, thanks!

Cheers everyone, for your kind words too. Reviews would be wonderful if or when you have the time.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 12:37
Ha! Just read this thread! I submitted my review to The Peogressive Aspect on 7 Nov, so I guess it should be published anyday now. Happy to read that I wasn’t far wrong in hearing Chris Cornell in the mix! 😄

For what it’s worth, this is my review:

Coming from New Zealand to the UK, one thing I quickly became used to was being asked by the person who’d just discovered I was a Kiwi had heard New Zealand was like this country was fifty years ago, and was that true? Listening to the debut release from NZ band Grumblewood on UK label Gravity Dream, this was the first thought that came to me. Because this is a sound straight from the 1970s. Not just in the music played, but the production, too. This could almost be a lost Jethro Tull album, apart from Gav Bromfield is a far better singer than Ian Anderson. But with their use of vintage analogue equipment and production, and the frontman playing a mean flute too, Tull is the obvious comparison to make.

Where Grumblewood really trump Tull, though, is on the bass. Morgan Jones (who also plays bouzouki and harpsichord), plays a bloody mean bass. His nimble and nifty bass is almost constantly what I find myself listening to over any other instrument. It’s one of the few vibes I get that this isn’t a total ‘70s throwback. The funky grooves Jones lays down remind me of some of the more recent sounds to have come out of Wellington, and that have often come together in the Fly My Pretties collective. Bands like The Black Seeds, Fat Freddy’s Drop and The Phoenix Foundation. Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, Bromfield’s vocals often remind me of Chris Cornell and Blaze Bailey.

My Fair Lady provides a wonderfully atmospheric opening number, with the sounds of waves, gulls and thunder, overlaid by some by some bluesy guitar. Up until almost the second it’s almost sounding more like The Doors, until the folk comes jigging in. The juggling of the blues and folk passages is incredibly well done, and My Fair Lady makes full use of its seven and a half minutes to show off the various facets that make up the sound of Grumblewood on this album. And yet, it’s possibly the least impressive song on the album - although I love the sea shanty passage that comes near the end. Picturesque Postcard has the most beautiful and delicate introduction, and remains a very pretty song, apart from the bridge where it completely rocks out. And wow, does that make an impact. There are similar moments throughout the album. For example, Castaway is nowhere near my favourite song, but has two of my favourite passages on the album. It’s that kind of album, where no matter how you think you might feel about any one song, there is always a part that impresses and delights.

After the groovy and funky Fives and Nines (check out that bass again!), one of the absolute highlights of the album for me is The Sheriff Rides Again. As well as being a favourite song on the album, it also has some of the most evident moments of the comparisons I made earlier. It initially makes me think of Ian Anderson playing over 2112-era Rush (so, yeah, we’re still fifty years in the past). There’s some lovely crisp drumming from Phil Aldridge, and Jones’ bass is laying down the groove. The mood changes to one that reminds me of another ‘70s band, but this time it’s one of closer geographic origin - New Zealand’s own Dragon. At least, for that brief two album period on Vertigo when they played prog, before disappearing across the ditch to play pop (and had far greater success for doing so). Oh, and with an Audioslave-era Chris Cornell singing.

I can only imagine how entertaining Grumblewood must be to see play live. With mandolin and banjo played beautifully by Salvatore Richichi, along with the more usual guitar, there’s a whole load of folk feel that could so easily sound contrived, but it never does. I find myself constantly imagining how the band might perform the songs. And in a way, Stories of Strangers feels almost live anyway. In these days of pro-tools and perfect production, the ‘70s effect of having been recorded analogue directly to tape gives the whole album a warm and natural fuzziness. Ok, maybe I exaggerate with the fuzziness - but the sound is noticeably different from the majority of what you hear these days, and it’s just really neat. 

Although there’s not a single song I don’t like, it does strike me that my favourites tend to occur on the second half. There’s the aforementioned The Sheriff Rides Again, of course. But there’s also the magnificent The Minstrel, which at eight minutes is the longest track on the album. Like much of the album, there’s a real jazzy feel to much of the groove of The Minstrel. But just as the similarly lengthy opening number manages to seamlessly traverse rock and folk passages, The Minstrel manages to pack a few changes of its own. The final minutes are some of the heaviest of the album, sounding closer to  rhythm and blues than folk, before pulling back to a beautiful and quiet finish. The title track is another favourite of mine, and provides a perfect closing number to a surpassingly eclectic, yet cohesive, album. If Blaze Bailey-era Iron Maiden were a folk band, this is what they’d sound like. Honestly, this feels to me The X Factor: Unlplugged. There’s the galloping Maiden riffs and rhythms, and the vocals are uncannily close to Bailey at times.

Altogether this is a fantastic album. I’m generally not a fan of bands who play a retro style of music, but Grumblewood do it with such panache and style, and dedication to authenticy, that it’s hard not to get swept up into their obvious enjoyment in playing. It helps, I think, that folk is somewhat timeless, so it doesn’t sound so try-hard as the many bands who seem to be attempting to replicate the ‘70s prog stylings of bands such as Yes and Genesis. Or maybe it’s because I’m a Kiwi, and bush bands (as folk bands were often known back home) were common entertainment. Coming from Dunedin, I’ll always remember The Pioneer Pog'n'Scroggin Bush Band (often known simply as "The Pogs"), who I suspect still retain the title for NZ’s longest running folk band. I wish Grumblewood every success in taking that record from them.

Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Ha! Just read this thread! I submitted my review to The Peogressive Aspect on 7 Nov, so I guess it should be published anyday now.

Thanks so much! A very perceptive review. And nice to encounter a fellow kiwi here!

Happy to read that I wasn’t far wrong in hearing Chris Cornell in the mix! 😄

Gav is stoked that you noticed. 

Coming from New Zealand to the UK, one thing I quickly became used to was being asked by the person who’d just discovered I was a Kiwi had heard New Zealand was like this country was fifty years ago, and was that true?

Ah yeah, we're not helping with that stereotype, are we? Heh.

The funky grooves Jones lays down remind me of some of the more recent sounds to have come out of Wellington, and that have often come together in the Fly My Pretties collective. Bands like The Black Seeds, Fat Freddy’s Drop and The Phoenix Foundation.

I did play in a "Dub Rock" band for a while in the early 2000s that was on the fringes of that scene. We shared a rehearsal space with The Phoenix Foundation for a while too. So that's certainly had some influence on my bass playing.

If Blaze Bailey-era Iron Maiden were a folk band, this is what they’d sound like. Honestly, this feels to me The X Factor: Unlplugged. There’s the galloping Maiden riffs and rhythms, and the vocals are uncannily close to Bailey at times.

Interesting. Iron Maiden are great but I've never listened to the Blaze Bailey era and Gav says he hasn't either. Will have to check it out.

Coming from Dunedin, I’ll always remember The Pioneer Pog'n'Scroggin Bush Band (often known simply as "The Pogs"), who I suspect still retain the title for NZ’s longest running folk band. I wish Grumblewood every success in taking that record from them.

The Pogs were so cool.

Thanks again for the great review. Will you post it in the Archives too?

Edited by Xyth - November 23 2020 at 16:16
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 16:32
Yes, I will definitely post it here, too. I tend to wait until it’s been published on TPA first, since that’s where the albums come to me for review. It would feel morally wrong for me to post here first. 🤷🏻‍♂️
 Post Reply Post Reply