Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Transatlantic Album Due In February

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Transatlantic Album Due In February
    Posted: November 09 2020 at 07:44
Just announced

Sounds promising, the trailer (short as it is) and the comparison with The Whirlwind which is my favourite of theirs.

It's a shame there's no option to buy the deluxe set without the vinyl though. Some of us don't have record decks any more.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 07:51
I don’t know how I feel about this gimmick tbh
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 08:24
So there's two versions - a 60 minute and a 90 minute one which are different? Are they just trying to get people to buy both?
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 09:37
The artwork looks amazing and the idea behind this whole thing also seems really intriguing. This will definitely be on top of my 2021 prog watchlist.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 10:32
The artwork is awesome and the fact there’s two versions of the album, that are different sounds extremely incredibly interesting, shall have to see the pre-order bundles
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 16:52
Always loved TransAtlantic. Will be waiting for this one patiently.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 23:17
Got my Radiant Records email this morning on this......Clearly will have to pre-order the Extended Version and possibly the Ultimate, depending on price. 
Have not been a huge fan of the mastering of these albums, Kaleidoscope was full of compression.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 23:24
I'll klisten for sure, although the last couple have been a bit outside the realm of my enjoyment for the most part. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Always loved TransAtlantic. Will be waiting for this one patiently.

Get it well expect the "PATIENTLY" partLOL 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemeat69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 14:14
More never is enough.
Follow your bliss
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 07:37

WOW! This song has everything I love about Transatlantic! Looking forward to the album.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 08:35
Welp, that's definitely a Transatlantic song....

Would it kill Neal Morse to try something outside of the comfortable and safe prog box he's seemingly trapped within? I want something off the wall that's gonna turn some heads, this is just more of the same, organ, some odd times, surface level upbeat lyrics and melodic guitar playing. It's inoffensive and it'll probably be alright but.... it just sounds like every other Neal Morse song/overture i've heard from the last 10 years. He almost had me on Similtude which was genuinely a pretty good album that overstayed it's welcome a bit, but now I feel like we're back to comfortable Neal Morse-isms which is fine, it works, the fans will like it, but there's way too much talent in this bad for them not to be attempting to push the envelope. Funny cause I thought the Flower Kings release from this year was excellent and packed with interesting and outside the box moments in songs like a New Species and Serpentine.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 20 2020 at 08:37
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Welp, that's definitely a Transatlantic song....

Would it kill Neal Morse to try something outside of the comfortable and safe prog box he's seemingly trapped within? I want something off the wall that's gonna turn some heads, this is just more of the same, organ, some odd times, surface level upbeat lyrics and melodic guitar playing. It's inoffensive and it'll probably be alright but.... it just sounds like every other Neal Morse song/overture i've heard from the last 10 years. He almost had me on Similtude which was genuinely a pretty good album that overstayed it's welcome a bit, but now I feel like we're back to comfortable Neal Morse-isms which is fine, it works, the fans will like it, but there's way too much talent in this bad for them not to be attempting to push the envelope. Funny cause I thought the Flower Kings release from this year was excellent and packed with interesting and outside the box moments in songs like a New Species and Serpentine.

Reading your post, this image popped in my head.

And I agree, the song sounds like Transatlantic. But to me that's a good thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 11:34
Hrychu reading my comment like....

Joke's aside, I like a lot of Neal Morse stuff, The Light, V, Snow, Similtude for the most part, but he just keeps releasing very formulaic and similar albums with way too many damn reprises. Sola Gratia was perhaps the worst offender of Neal Morse-isms, this sounds like Transatlantic by numbers, nothing new, nothing fresh.... it's all inoffensive I guess.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 20 2020 at 12:30
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 13:20
I pre-ordered the Extended Version 3-LP/2-CD set.......I'm really hoping they do a better job than the last Transatlantic album, sound wise.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 06:38
The tracks listing of the Blu-ray is strange. It seems to be a mix between both Extended and Abridged versions:

1. Overture (8:11)
2. Reaching for the Sky (5:40) * from Abridged version
3. Higher Than the Morning (5:29)
4. The Darkness in the Light (5:43)
5. Take Now My Soul (3:31) * from Abridged version
6. Bully (2:11)
7. Rainbow Sky (3:19)
8. Looking for the Light (3:59)
9. The World We Used to Know (9:21)
10. The Sun Comes Up Today (5:38)
11. Love Made a Way (prelude) (1:25)
12. Owl Howl (7:05)
13. Solitude (5:41)
14. Belong (2:49)
15. Lonesome Rebel (2:53)
16. Can You Feel It (3:17) * from Abridged version
17. Looking for the Light (reprise) (5:12)
18. The Greatest Story Never Ends (4:17)
19. Love Made a Way (8:02)
20. The Making of "The Absolute Universe" documentary (62:27)

Total Time 156:10

so there are two tracks "missing" from Extended version:
- Heart Like a Whirlwind (5:11)
- Swing High, Swing Low (3:48)

In the end, do we have three different version for this album ??? Shocked
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 08:00

Whoa!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 08:35
I liked this single better than the first, mostly because the intro reminds me of the new Flower Kings album, which I love. Still not quite blown away but this ones def better, albeit still nothing new for the band

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 12 2020 at 08:36
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 16:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I liked this single better than the first, mostly because the intro reminds me of the new Flower Kings album, which I love. Still not quite blown away but this ones def better, albeit still nothing new for the band

Hi,

I had mixed feelings ... I kinda turned it off as soon as Neal begun singing ... but the rest of the music, by itself, was more interesting, even IF IT WAS very conventional ... which is something that "progressive" (generally) is NOT.

It's just nice stuff, but not good enough to add to a collection for me ... there are many bands out there that are trying really hard and they come off way better and more interesting and more innovative than what this has shown to me.

It's good, but not that good!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply