Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo
    Posted: November 10 2020 at 05:14
One of the obvious pros of going solo is, an artist is free to realise their artistic vision without the constraints of being in a band, but one of the cons is, an artist's solo albums might not receive the recognition they truly deserve, and may be met by The Wall of indifference in The Final Cut. I have High Hopes that this thread will go some way to change that by featuring some of Roger Waters lesser-known songs over the last fifty years, starting by going all the way back to 1970. Smile Heart

Roger Waters' Discography & Videography

3 stars 1970: Roger Waters & Ron Geesin - Music from the Body - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kYi_W9V4PGdQqF16qM1-aXK1eKrH7tQAs
 3 stars 1983: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFEDE25F4A684239E
 4 stars 1984: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l4S4hqzoPYGSTOnbGutKs28BGGLoCNfHI
 4 stars 1986: Roger Waters - When the Wind Blows (soundtrack) - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHcPTPk2B4oyVVKA-cNwccoKqQ6h7YGFZ
 5 stars 1990: Roger Waters - The Wall - Live in Berlin - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyGHs2yXwu1Sg4DXha46hfqGs6LarGe8w
 5 stars 2000: Roger Waters - In the Flesh - Live - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTWsuyDYRM
 5 stars 2006: Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Tour (unreleased) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYL-ywrLcs
 4 stars 2010: Roger Waters - The Wall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAtusYxDlaw
 3 stars 2017: Roger Waters - Is This the Life We Really Want - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mPigivZV2DMiN4zZXBZyuFIWJeIZ4PfJY
 5 stars 2020: Roger Waters - Us + Them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiUeWr3oVtc
 5 stars 2023: Roger Waters - This is Not a Drill: Live in Prague - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXojvpCl2I
 3 stars 2023: Roger Waters - The Dark Side of the Moon Redux - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDhajrZgo0TLJDDMa0XI_zqybDzGBoWfH

Roger Waters - Give Birth to a Smile Smile, from the soundtrack album, Music from the Mind & Body (1970), featuring Ron Geesin & the other three members of Pink Floyd on this final song from the album.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 24 2023 at 15:29
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:00
Let me know when you actually get to the Pros And Cons album.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Which was, apparently, going to a Pink Floyd album until it all went pear-shaped.

'Amused to Death' is head and shoulders above anything else in his solo canon, I reckon.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:16

That would be right about now at 5:01am. Smile

The title track and my favourite song from the album.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:39
Enjoyable album, it is not on par with the Floyd classics but I think he did a great job with the concept and the songwriting.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 07:27
Amused To Death and ITTLWRW? stand out to me and are enjoyable albums.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 07:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Roger Waters - Give Birth to a Smile Smile, from the soundtrack album, Music from the Mind & Body (1970), featuring Ron Geesin & the other three members of Pink Floyd on this final song from the album.
Hi,

Disgraceful ... that you would ignore the best song in there ... "Our Song" ... making all the others sound silly and shmoozy!

Wink
Embarrassed
Geek

Edited by moshkito - November 10 2020 at 07:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 07:37
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Amused To Death and ITTLWRW? stand out to me and are enjoyable albums.

Hi,

"Amused to Death" is (for me) his best solo album. It has a lot more material that anyone can select and play within a rock show. After that, I would select "Radio Kaos", solely because it is true and right on, even if it was just a thing about Jim Ladd and some of his adventures in LA the most famous of which was the night that the number 1 FM Rock station disappeared only to become a new wave station 5 minutes later ... nothing was ever said, meaning that many folks got a pay out to say nothing, and life continued and in a place like LA with so many incendiary bands and stuff ... no one gave a damn. That makes "Radio Kaos" way more important, but in the end it signified the end of "FM Radio's" importance and how some corporate folks thought about the whole thing ... they didn't care about the music or the work that had been done into getting into number 1.

So when you hear ... "radio waste" ... you know what it means, but the funny/weird thing is that RW never said anything about the BBC, which was worse than the American c**terpart corporations, who at least ... (big fisting deal!!!) had an hour or two per week ... let's see 24x7 equals and they only play one of two hours?

I have not heard, in its entirety, the last album and won't comment on it until I listen to it. But, honestly, I have not gotten the CD's of a couple of the albums, because there are a lot more things I want to get that are way more interesting than RW ... and another version of The Wall ... not even for toilet paper, thank you!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 08:55
It is a decent album, even though the first 31 minutes are a somewhat dragging waltz. Radio KAOS is slightly better, but Amused to Death is obviously his best work. I find his last album also rather enjoyable.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 10:47
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

It is a decent album, even though the first 31 minutes are a somewhat dragging waltz. Radio KAOS is slightly better, but Amused to Death is obviously his best work. I find his last album also rather enjoyable.
Overall, I'd choose In the Flesh (2000) as my favourite Roger Waters album. Thumbs Up

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:12

Overall, I'd choose In the Flesh (2000) as my favourite Roger Waters album. Thumbs Up

the live album? 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:32
"Is This the World We Really Want" has passed under my radar, so it is one yet to explore... I've always liked The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and listen to it regularly in my car, but I think indeed that Amused to Death is his best.
I'm less impressed by his (or PFs) soundtrack work.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

the live album? 
Yes, it's a live album and it's one of the best concerts I've ever seen, having watched it again this afternoon. Thumbs Up

I wasn't sure if I'm still allowed to post the full concert here, so I've provided the YouTube link instead. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 10 2020 at 11:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 12:04

the live album? 
Yes, it's a live album and it's one of the best concerts I've ever seen, having watched it again this afternoon. Thumbs Up

I wasn't sure if I'm still allowed to post the full concert here, so I've provided the YouTube link instead. Smile

most of that live album is Pink Floyd, so I wouldn't mention it as relevant Roger Waters solo. Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 12:32

the live album? 

most of that live album is Pink Floyd, so I wouldn't mention it as relevant Roger Waters solo. Confused
That's true, although the concert doesn't  feature any other members of Pink Floyd in the flesh. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 12:41

the live album? 
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
That's true, although the concert doesn't  feature any other members of Pink Floyd in the flesh. Smile
[/QUOTE]

it's just Roger(and his band) doing Floyd and some of his solo work, but PF music dominates. LOL

Edited by Cristi - November 10 2020 at 12:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Disgraceful ... that you would ignore the best song in there ... "Our Song" ... making all the others sound silly and shmoozy!

Wink
Embarrassed
Geek
Are you serious!?? "Our Song" is just a collection of silly noises - sounding like someone with indigestion -  and not really a song at all. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 10 2020 at 13:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 15:16

the live album? 

I don't know about you, but I've always considered The Wall and The Final Cut to be Roger Waters solo projects anyway, and not collaborative Pink Floyd albums. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 15:27

the live album? 

I don't know about you, but I've always considered The Wall and The Final Cut to be Roger Waters solo projects anyway, and not collaborative Pink Floyd albums. Smile

even on the Wall, Gilmour and Ezrin arranged a few things. 

Waters has got 4 good albums, you can't just disregard them like that... Ouch
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Which was, apparently, going to a Pink Floyd album until it all went pear-shaped.

'Amused to Death' is head and shoulders above anything else in his solo canon, I reckon.

The piece of work which became Pros and Cons was presented to the rest of the band alongside demos of The Wall.

The latter was preferred over the former.

Waters then went on to overwhelmingly make The Final Cut and then only recorded Pros and Cons as a solo piece after he left Floyd.

Pros and Cons was never going to be a Floyd album once The Wall was decided upon as the album in 1979.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>