Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greenslade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greenslade
    Posted: November 10 2020 at 09:00
As a newbie, this may be repeating an old thread, but do we have any Greenslade fans out there? I always felt they were very under-rated, I love them to bits!! There seems to be a very 'English' sense of humour in there, a bit like Stackridge.
TonyReeves View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TonyReeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 10:52
Well I'm a newbie too - and I guess you could say a bit of a fan as well:)
Found this site by accident, while trying to find if there is anyone who has a recording of our gig at Baja Prog 2002.  I know it was recorded as I remember seeing the cameras, one or two of which were used during the soundcheck just after lunch.
Can anyone help?
Tony Reeves.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

As a newbie, this may be repeating an old thread, but do we have any Greenslade fans out there? I always felt they were very under-rated, I love them to bits!! There seems to be a very 'English' sense of humour in there, a bit like Stackridge.

I'm a Greenslade fan too, and as far as I'm aware, this is the first Greenslade tribute thread. Thumbs Up
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:43
I have their first two albums and I like them very much, but I never explored the others. I guess two is enough, so "fan" is maybe too big a word...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I have their first two albums and I like them very much, but I never explored the others. I guess two is enough, so "fan" is maybe too big a word...
I only have Greenslade's self-titled debut album on CD (even though I'm a "fan"), and I still haven't got around to listening to their other albums. Embarrassed
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 12:13
Love them, B-list prog at its best.

Also look into Dave Lawson's I Spider (Web),  and Morgan Fisher's albums.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 21:16
I have the first 4 original both on lp and cd....always liked them.
Quirky keyboard based prog with a good sense of humor, melody,  and good bass and drums also....a good blend of styles.
As mentioned Web is also good as well as Colosseum.
And a shout out to Mr Reeves who posted above...loved your bass on this and all of the early ones.

This is one of my favorite tracks .....an overlooked band and lp. And Roger Dean cover art.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 10 2020 at 21:22
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 01:32
Originally posted by TonyReeves TonyReeves wrote:

Found this site by accident, while trying to find if there is anyone who has a recording of our gig at Baja Prog 2002.  I know it was recorded as I remember seeing the cameras, one or two of which were used during the soundcheck just after lunch.
Can anyone help?
Tony Reeves.

Welcome to the site Clap

Sorry I can't help with the request but hopefully someone will be able to.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 02:40

Can anyone help?
Tony Reeves.

Great to hear from you, Tony. I only recently discovered the videos from OGWT on YouTube. Did you do an 'In Concert' or were there several visits o the Whistle Test?

Also curious to know what it was like to work with Sandy Denny. It seems she was quite a troubled lady, but  a phenomenal talent, both as a singer and a songwriter.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 14:19
I'd like to know what it was like working with Mayall and Colosseum in those early days...
must have been rewarding and fun.

*listening to Feathered Friends from the first lp as I write.....Big smile   .....the bass playing is superb on Melange.   

Edited by dr wu23 - November 12 2020 at 14:56
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 19:22

Hi,

Dave Lawson was a part of one very special Stackridge album ... Mr. Mick

Edited by moshkito - November 13 2020 at 08:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 02:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Tony Lawson was a part of one very special Stackridge album ... Mr. Mick

Or even Dave Lawson Wink

Not my favorite Stackridge album, but still pretty good. Sad that they've given up now. We saw them a few years ago and they were still excellent, although Mutter Slater wasn't with them any more. I thing James Warren and Andy Cresswell-Davis are still doing stuff. Maybe they'll revive The Corgi's??
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 07:03
I'm a longstanding Greenslade fan (my user name is a bit of a giveaway) and even managed to see them on their 2002 comeback tour at Rotherham Leisure Centre of all places.

I think it was the Roger Dean covers that got me interested initially, and the fact that they had two keyboardists as I was a massive ELP fan and keyboards were my thing. I really like all their albums but Bedside Manners are Extra is probably the best and has my all time favourite Greenslade track in Pilgrim's Progress - love your bass playing on that Tony!
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 08:04

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Tony Lawson was a part of one very special Stackridge album ... Mr. Mick

Or even Dave Lawson Wink

Not my favorite Stackridge album, but still pretty good. Sad that they've given up now. We saw them a few years ago and they were still excellent, although Mutter Slater wasn't with them any more. I thing James Warren and Andy Cresswell-Davis are still doing stuff. Maybe they'll revive The Corgi's??

Hi,

Fixed. The Korgi's were great and I still have the albums ... COLD TEA .... anyone?

I think that age is finally getting the better of them all ... and yeah, it's sad to seem them go that way ... but it happens to all of us.

Going back to Greenslade ... I have all of their albums and love them all, and specially when some nutter like Guy Guden fits them in all the time (Stackridge as well) ... and it just sounds so much better than I remember way back when ... lovely stuff ... AND ... bedside manners are extra on PA!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 10:48
One of those bands that's always good to listen to anytime anywhere. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 00:00
Love Greenslade. First and third albums my faves. The first Greenslade solo album is a bit like their fifth album with the new lineup after McCullough and Lawson left
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 12:21
Would have been nice if Mr Reeves would have stuck around to talk about his prog days and experiences and what prog rock and other bands he likes  to listen to.
Smile
Haquin
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One of those bands that's always good to listen to anytime anywhere. 

Oh YES!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 07:06
I was drawn to them by the look of the covers (first two albums)  and I'm  happy to say the music matches the level of the visuals. Very tasty stuff. I like them a lot. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 23:41

Can anyone help?
Tony Reeves.

Hi Tony!  What was the name of your group/act? 

I know Ray Bennett & Colin Carter of Flash, who performed at Baja Prog in 2005, and there was a video of their performance on YouTube for a while (recently removed).  So, you are right, there is probably video in existence someplace.  

I contributed to this fine interview by my old friend, Mark "ProgDawg" Tucker, in which they discussed their Baja Prog experience.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>