Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prototypes of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 06:45
Steve, definitely Brian is not "cool", but he's a musical genius: should not that be the point? I saw Robert Fripp once, playing live with Crimson: the guy came in through the public entrance, walk to the stage shaking hands, sat in his chair at the rear, and blew everybody's head with the first riff.
Nothing cool, all about music, 100 per cent prog.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 06:49
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Steve, definitely Brian is not "cool", but he's a musical genius: should not that be the point? I saw Robert Fripp once, playing live with Crimson: the guy came in through the public entrance, walk to the stage shaking hands, sat in his chair at the rear, and blew everybody's head with the first riff.
Nothing cool, all about music, 100 per cent prog.
No argument from me, but I'm not the one who makes the decisions, only suggestions.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 07:20
Everyone of us decides in the inner tribunal of conscience, we are only feeding it with... suggestions, just for the sake of not missing something important. I, for instance, am thinking in giving a try to Nice & Family. And here I left another outrageous one: "Funeral For A Friend" is a nice symphonic piece, and I've found Elton listed among the Symphonic-Rock icons of the Seventies.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 08:43

Everyone of us decides in the inner tribunal of conscience, we are only feeding it with... suggestions, just for the sake of not missing something important. I, for instance, am thinking in giving a try to Nice & Family. And here I left another outrageous one: "Funeral For A Friend" is a nice symphonic piece, and I've found Elton listed among the Symphonic-Rock icons of the Seventies.
Ah, there's nothing more positive than the mind of a prog fan! Smile

Edited by SteveG - November 13 2020 at 08:43
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 09:01
Prototypes of Prog are many and varied, but Psychedelia was a significant lead into it. Simon Dupree and The Big Sound - Kites is a good example from '66. (Even though the Shulman's grew to hate it!!)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 09:11
I think it's a given that psych rock was a catalyst for prog rock. As psychedelia grew out of fashion, the musicians of the era had to tum to more adventurous music instead of relying on trippy studio effects.

Edited by SteveG - November 13 2020 at 11:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 13:00
We now decide retrospectively who is who in Prog, but each seed sown in time was irreplaceable (THAT is positive!). Carving in the psychedelic vein, any sensible person should find "In A Gadda Da Vida" at least interesting, even when Iron Butterfly, as a whole, is a less substantial issue.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 14:13

We now decide retrospectively who is who in Prog, but each seed sown in time was irreplaceable (THAT is positive!). Carving in the psychedelic vein, any sensible person should find "In A Gadda Da Vida" at least interesting, even when Iron Butterfly, as a whole, is a less substantial issue.
less substantial? Iron Butterfly's Ball album is better than most current prog albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 15:27
Maybe I've underestimated them? So much to listen and re-listen, so much music to be given an opportunity. The Moodies are OK too, besides "Days Of ..." I don't see the reason to stop until "The Present", to say the least
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

This!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 15:43
Well, the cover itself summons to humble contemplation: a classic
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 15:45
Steve and Crimson...you two do know that The Moody Blues are listed under crossover prog...right?
But 12 Dreams- Spirit...,my selection...is listed under the proto prog section...take that you misfits!

Wink
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=37
proto prog page 
btw.... Iron Butterfly is there and so is Touch.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 14 2020 at 10:07
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 15:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Steve and Crimson...you two do know that The Moody Blues are lited under crossover prog...right?
But 12 Dreams- Spirit...,my selection...is listed under the proto prog section...take that you misfits!

Wink
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=37
proto prog page 
btw.... Iron Butterfly is there and so is Touch.
Ah, but as the Stones once sang, time is on my side. The first true prog album, KC's ItCotCK was released in 1969. Days of Future Passed was released in 1967. We must do the math ourselves to determine what is truly proto prog. And numbers don't lie. As trump is finding out. Wink
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 15:59

(EDIT) Carving in the psychedelic vein, any sensible person should find "In A Gadda Da Vida" at least interesting, even when Iron Butterfly, as a whole, is a less substantial issue.
Strangely enough I put this CD on for the first time in about 10years this week. I did find it interesting, but more for all the other songs that went mostly un-listened to because the IAGDV LP had a side to itself.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 16:45
Aside the music, is mumbo-jumbo like "In A Gadda Da Vida" welcomed in Prog universe?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 22:29

Aside the music, is mumbo-jumbo like "In A Gadda Da Vida" welcomed in Prog universe?

yes 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 06:23
Wow, that was fast & categoric. I don't know why, but I expected some debate. I'll take it, anyway: what would have become of Genesis without a Unifaun?
Retaking the original thread, there's a good amount of prototypic material within the Crosby, Stills, etc. saga. Somebody mentioned "Judy Blue Eyes", and I think that Crosby & Nash' "To The Last Whale" would perfectly fit into (an hypothetic alternative compiling of) Yes' "Tormato": listen to the vocal harmonies, but also the melodic content. Parallel world prog?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 08:12
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

This!

A prototypical concept album rather than a prototypical prog album.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 12:20
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

This!

A prototypical concept album rather than a prototypical prog album.

I'm sure that members of mellotron centric KC and orchestral centric Renaissance would differ with you.

Edited by SteveG - November 14 2020 at 12:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 13:55
These are not even concept-based, but they may have had some influence:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>