Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prototypes of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

This!

A prototypical concept album rather than a prototypical prog album.

I'm sure that members of mellotron centric KC and orchestral centric Renaissance would differ with you.

You may be right Smile.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 21:44
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Not only quick, but right too! Here I start another one: listening carefully to Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well", with that stunning combination of riffage an classical piano & guitar, a resemblance emerges: "South Side Of The Sky", by Yes, also with heavy riff in the beginning, and classical piano middle section. Sowing the seeds of prog...

try playing Oh Well (one of my top 3 Fleetwood Mac songs) followed by Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn Part 2 Band 3.  In general I would say the second part of Oh Well was a big influence on Oldfield
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:08
A multifacetic piece of music "Oh Well", you can never peel the last layer. Which would be the other 2 favourites?
There are still another sources for prog mannerism waiting to be pointed at:
-Convoluted vocal harmonies (C,S&N and Buffalo Springfield?)
-Guitar tecnique experimentation (The Byrds, let's say in "8 miles high")
-Studio tecniques playing a decisive role in composition (The inicial Grateful Dead, let's say, in "Anthem To The Sun"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:34
^ My other two favourite Fleetwood Mac songs are from 2 different eras from "Oh Well"

The amazing "Sands of Time" from "Future Games", Danny Kirwan's finest moment
The slow burn and blistering "Sisters of the Moon" from "Tusk", a Stevie Nicks tune

Off the top of my head, I think the Yardbirds exhibited some proto proto prog traits in their attitude and arrangements
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:54
I think that one needs an intimate understanding of 60s psych rock to make suggestions for proto prog. Many know Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale but not the 18 minute long multi suite In Held Twas In I from Procol's Shine On Brightly album. So here's to all the old hippies.

Edited by SteveG - November 15 2020 at 12:47
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 10:07
Excellent selections both of them, Ken. In the Welch-era I like "Bermuda Triangle", and during the Buckingham tenure, "The Chain" (a little obvious?), with that anthemic bass solo by John McVie.

And Steve, relax, "In Held Twas In I" won't be forgotten, let's just take a walk in the park and smell the flowers before we all get too old for this.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 11:30

I think that one needs an intimate understanding of 60s psych rock to make suggestions for proto prog. Many know Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale but not the 18 minute long multi suie In Held Twas In I from Procol's Shine On Brightly album. So here's to all old the old hippies.

I agree Steve...lots of 'proto prog' stuff going on from many bands then from 067-69, Beatles, Procol,  The Doors, Spirit, Jefferson Airplane, The Who..etc...and all of these are in the proto prog section here btw......until Crimson did their thing in '69 to cement it all.
We have had this discussion here many times on who started prog and who were founders of that early proto prog thing....the truth is many bands were doing interesting things at that time.

Several American folky rock bands  were mentioned above....I  don't think they qualify as 'proto prog' ,but again interesting things were happening to many song structures then.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 15 2020 at 11:30
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 12:41
Well, I don't know, Jon Anderson mentioned as early influences Buffalo, Simon & Garfunkel and Vanilla Fudge, explaining the confluence of electric and acoustic elements in Yes. Probably those bands weren't prog yet, but they may have been prototypes for things that blossomed later within the proper genre...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 12:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think that one needs an intimate understanding of 60s psych rock to make suggestions for proto prog. Many know Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale but not the 18 minute long multi suie In Held Twas In I from Procol's Shine On Brightly album. So here's to all old the old hippies.

I agree Steve...lots of 'proto prog' stuff going on from many bands then from 067-69, Beatles, Procol,  The Doors, Spirit, Jefferson Airplane, The Who..etc...and all of these are in the proto prog section here btw......until Crimson did their thing in '69 to cement it all.
We have had this discussion here many times on who started prog and who were founders of that early proto prog thing....the truth is many bands were doing interesting things at that time.

Several American folky rock bands  were mentioned above....I  don't think they qualify as 'proto prog' ,but again interesting things were happening to many song structures then.

Yes, prog is a conglomerate of many of these styles. There has never been a single smoking gun. Unless you think like Svetonio. ;)
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 13:08
Jimi Hendrix.

According to Wikipedia, both Peter Hammill and Hugh Banton have stated that Jimi Hendrix was an influence on Van der Graaf Generator's sound, with Hammill remarking that "there'd been distortion before, but there hadn't been that real out-there attitude to sound in itself".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 17:44
Yes sir, and David Jackson took some influence from Roland Kirk (that two saxes at a time thing).
More subversive data? Peter Gabriel is a huge fan of... Otis Redding! We construct our heroes as we want, but still they keep doing what they want, isn't that a shame?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 18:58

Excellent selections both of them, Ken. In the Welch-era I like "Bermuda Triangle", and during the Buckingham tenure, "The Chain" (a little obvious?), with that anthemic bass solo by John McVie.

And Steve, relax, "In Held Twas In I" won't be forgotten, let's just take a walk in the park and smell the flowers before we all get too old for this.

Yes Welch had the more mystical numbers - the title cut to Future Games is another favourite - some great hooks throughout.  And of course "Hypnotized"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 19:55
"Hypnotized"! What a particular vibe spreads that song... The meeting of both, Welch and Kirwan, was a moment of pure grace, I think. "Dust", for instance, so somber and self-contained, however so radiantly mystical.
Another favourite from Future Games? "Sands of times", with Mick hitting the plates as nobody ever before (or after) did it. Perfection can take simple forms sometimes...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:23

"Hypnotized"! What a particular vibe spreads that song... The meeting of both, Welch and Kirwan, was a moment of pure grace, I think. "Dust", for instance, so somber and self-contained, however so radiantly mystical.
Another favourite from Future Games? "Sands of times", with Mick hitting the plates as nobody ever before (or after) did it. Perfection can take simple forms sometimes...

yes to "Sands of Time".  If Micky was around he would be all over this.  I will say it again, that song is a balm for the soul.  It's a portal to a better world for 7+ minutes.  That moment when the first part shifts into the second is a spine tingler.  I need to listen to "Dust" as I can't remember it now.  Another good one from Future Games is "Women of a Thousand Years'
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:33
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

yes to "Sands of Time".  If Micky was around he would be all over this.  I will say it again, that song is a balm for the soul.  It's a portal to a better world for 7+ minutes.  That moment when the first part shifts into the second is a spine tingler.  I need to listen to "Dust" as I can't remember it now.  Another good one from Future Games is "Women of a Thousand Years'
Future Games and Bare Trees are two of my favorite albums of all time. I always thought that I was the only person on earth that liked them. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 11:04

Future Games and Bare Trees are two of my favorite albums of all time. I always thought that I was the only person on earth that liked them. LOL
Hey Steve!
they do seem to fall in that unloved period but there are more of us than you might imagine.  I do think the albums, like most Fleetwood Mac work, can be a bit uneven, no doubt at least partly the result of having 3 singers and writers who were not always on the same page .  Did you ever hear Danny Kirwan's solo work?  I haven't but wondered what it was like
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 11:19

Hey Steve!
they do seem to fall in that unloved period but there are more of us than you might imagine.  I do think the albums, like most Fleetwood Mac work, can be a bit uneven, no doubt at least partly the result of having 3 singers and writers who were not always on the same page .  Did you ever hear Danny Kirwan's solo work?  I haven't but wondered what it was like
No, I haven't but I was told by a few people that his solo work was not in the same style as what he did with FM. Whatever that means.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 13:23
Well, seeing the last Steve-Ken exchange I must conclude that there might be lots of unloved music out there, that many people actually love! Why would that be? Let me guess: More haters repeating the same nonsense until we believe it, than real appreciation of the art.
Anyway, I've listened time ago to Danny Kirwan's Second Chapter, and I liked it. As I remember, the main difference with his work in the Mac lies in the nostalgic tone, something like that old vignette feel in the album of Van Dyke Parks with Brian Wilson. I'll try to recover it to check this memory...
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 03:23

I think it's a given that psych rock was a catalyst for prog rock. As psychedelia grew out of fashion, the musicians of the era had to tum to more adventurous music instead of relying on trippy studio effects.

Is Baroque Pop generally considered as part of the substrate which gave rise to prog?
“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 03:24
If “Surfs Up” doesn’t qualify Brian Wilson as a proto-prog genius, then I just don’t know.

“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>