Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog albums with conceptual fantastic story/art
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog albums with conceptual fantastic story/art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepe_le_poo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog albums with conceptual fantastic story/art
    Posted: November 14 2020 at 15:40
(changed the title so i could get more views!)

So I need help finding something specific! And I joined up here to find some more resources on finding such albums.

So lets take the two albums "Olias of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson and "The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony" by Dave Greenslade and use them as examples or what im looking for.

Can someone recommend me albums like those which are classic prog releases that have some really intensely thought out fantasy/sci-fi concept behind the whole thing and does a lot of nice stuff on the accompanying visual artwork?  I wanna make trips to some wild places as far as concept albums and artwork goes!

Edited by pepe_le_poo - November 15 2020 at 06:42
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 07:38
"Tale of the Golden King", by The Psychedelic Ensemble.

It tells a story of a prosperous kingdom, whose king was visited by a spirit warning of his demise. The gods took the king's life, but turned him into gold. Henchmen, seeing a defenseless kingdom, invaded, disarmed and imprisoned the population. The people, hoping that their king would arise and bring them freedom, were sadly disappointed. The queen wept. Taking matters into their own hands, they fashioned his now gold being into swords and took their vengeance on the invading henchmen.  They lived happily ever after.

The music is superb symphonic prog, written and performed by an accomplished classical composer (and prog lover).

The CD booklet tells the story and provides the lyrics. Every song has a different piece of art (by Yimin Li). Here's an example:

Artwork by Yimin Li.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:17
"The Chronicle of the Black Sword" by Hawkwind tells the tale of the albino king Elric of Melniboné.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 03:56
The Dear Hunter. The Acts I-V are all part of one story, and I think the third act included a graphic novel summing up the previous two acts. Act VI will come soon. It's a really interesting story and the lyrical and musical motifs are really well-utilized.
pepe_le_poo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepe_le_poo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 08:20
well... is there anything that is pre 90's???
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:59
Sure, but you're limiting your options.
pepe_le_poo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepe_le_poo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 06:50
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Sure, but you're limiting your options.

OK but what are they?  My first experience with perog was when my boomer parents handed me down their old Yes and ELP albums So i grew up enjoying the sound of early recordings and early music equipment more in prog.  I did hear Porcupine Tree and the Mars Volta back then but i dint find them feeling the same.  im very slowly trying to get into neo-prog but it doesnt hit me as well as older stuff does so far

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 07:09
Originally posted by pepe_le_poo pepe_le_poo wrote:

well... is there anything that is pre 90's???

"The Chronicle of the Black Sword" by Hawkwind tells the tale of the albino king Elric of Melniboné.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 07:40
Gongs's Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy is very pre-90's and definitely a fantastical concept!! In addition, Magick Mother Invocation/Master Builder is one of the best pieces of music out there. Get a riff and explore it to the ultimate end Smile 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 08:36
I can't remember about artwork but ELOY's "Planets" and "Time to Turn" are a sci fi story
More recently, HALLAS' 3rd album "Conundrum" completed a trilogy

Edited by kenethlevine - November 18 2020 at 08:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 10:00
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1235
This is one from 1984..a nice symphonic treatment of The Martian Chroncles by Ray Bradbury...

Solaris Marsbéli Krónikák (Martian Chronicles) album cover
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 10:05
Another obscure one I like quite a bit...Julians Trealment - A Time Before This,   idea by sci-fi writer Julian Savarin....about two opposing alien regimes led by two women.
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4425
Julians Treatment - A Time Before This - YouTube

Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 11:34
One of the main albums that got me into prog, and one of my favourites, Rick Wakeman's Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. And then, it was re-recorded with new tracks a few year ago, and those new tracks really do help to round up the story, given that the original release seemed to be just a collection of tracks about King Arthur... still, I do prefer the original versions of the original songs, and not all the new songs are at the same level from the original release... however, it's really worth to check out both versions.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 18:34
Not being afraid of the obvious, I'd say that the first three albums by King Crimson are quite a trip...

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 21:07
There's an album called the pentateuch of the cosmogony by Dave Greenslade(of the band Greenslade) that seems to fit the description pretty well. Apparently it's not a very good album though. Anyone on here ever heard it?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 18 2020 at 21:07
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 08:53
Yes, I have. I think it sucks hugely but I think most things do, so go online and make your own decision based on what's available to listen to on something like You Tube. What other arbiter do you have apart from your own aesthetic values?

Edited by ExittheLemming - November 19 2020 at 08:55
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 09:03
The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony by David  Greenslade was a double vinyl that came with a hardback book of art and story (Woodroffe) about an abandoned space craft found in orbit around Jjupiter and the attempt to  decipher it;s secrets. It's electronica and keys for the most part and Phill Collins is on drums in places.
Reminds me of Vangelis or Wakeman type projects....definitely fits the OP's genre request.
Dave Greenslade The Pentateuch Of The Cosmogony album cover

Edited by dr wu23 - November 19 2020 at 09:07
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 09:11
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There's an album called the pentateuch of the cosmogony by Dave Greenslade(of the band Greenslade) that seems to fit the description pretty well. Apparently it's not a very good album though. Anyone on here ever heard it?

This was one of the two examples quoted in the OP.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 09:21
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You are absolutely correct...I posted that since it seemed no one knew what it was....I missed his reference also. Embarrassed
I do like the art work...the music isn't any worse than half the stuff Wakeman's done imho.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 17:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Obviously I failed to read the fine print. My mistake(or as the kids might say "my bad"). Olias was also mentioned and imo might be one of the best examples of this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>