Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What's their case?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
4 [8.33%]
11 [22.92%]
11 [22.92%]
1 [2.08%]
17 [35.42%]
2 [4.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 06:35
There's a history behind it. Once upon a time on Progarchives, there were incessant arguments about it with always the attitude from H fans that Fish Marillion fans were somehow closed minded dinosaurs for not appreciating the clearly superior product of the H era. What this poll did is awaken a sleeping giant. It's fun in a different way to have a good old fashioned progarchives spat; otherwise the place is semi-dead barring the occasions when everybody tries for the nth time to get Pedro to make sense.

Edited by rogerthat - December 29 2020 at 06:36
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 06:49
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There's a history behind it. Once upon a time on Progarchives, there were incessant arguments about it with always the attitude from H fans that Fish Marillion fans were somehow closed minded dinosaurs for not appreciating the clearly superior product of the H era. What this poll did is awaken a sleeping giant. It's fun in a different way to have a good old fashioned progarchives spat; otherwise the place is semi-dead barring the occasions when everybody tries for the nth time to get Pedro to make sense.

Yeah, a good and knowing post.

With regard to the band, what is extremely telling is that fans of the band such as I from the really old days (Market Square Heroes time) have not just stuck with the band, but loved every single part of the journey as it has progressed. This includes h-era Marillion, various side projects, and also Fish solo stuff. The band have had an almost unique way of bonding a pretty sizeable group of fans to them who have stuck with them through thick and thin, and it should not be forgotten that they really were pioneers of the crowdfunding model of making music, and that would not have been possible without us loyal fans at the time, most of whom started watching and listening to them because of a bloody great big Scottish man called Dick who wore makeup and sang songs that reminded us of the prog heyday.

I have always found forums such as this to be rather too full of really obsessive types. Not just Prog Archives, but also, for example, Star Trek forums, where anything that does not include a character scratching his or her arse in the same manner as Captain Kirk did in 1967 is automatically “not proper Trek”. Our equivalent here is “not proper prog”, or “the eighth sequence of music on the third track automatically disqualifies the album from being categorised as Symphonic Prog”, and etc.

I think it might have been better had the band changed their name when Hogarth joined, and, indeed, band members have confirmed in numerous interviews that this was a serious discussion amongst them.

It really is all about the music. I get why some of the purists don’t get or like them, but I just love the storytelling, incredible musicianship, and the atmosphere the band create.

Edited by lazland - December 29 2020 at 06:52
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 06:57
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Yeah, a good and knowing post.

With regard to the band, what is extremely telling is that fans of the band such as I from the really old days (Market Square Heroes time) have not just stuck with the band, but loved every single part of the journey as it has progressed. This includes h-era Marillion, various side projects, and also Fish solo stuff. The band have had an almost unique way of bonding a pretty sizeable group of fans to them who have stuck with them through thick and thin, and it should not be forgotten that they really were pioneers of the crowdfunding model of making music, and that would not have been possible without us loyal fans at the time, most of whom started watching and listening to them because of a bloody great big Scottish man called Dick who wore makeup and sang songs that reminded us of the prog heyday.

I have always found forums such as this to be rather too full of really obsessive types. Not just Prog Archives, but also, for example, Star Trek forums, where anything that does not include a character scratching his or her arse in the same manner as Captain Kirk did in 1967 is automatically “not proper Trek”. Our equivalent here is “not proper prog”, or “the eighth sequence of music on the third track automatically disqualifies the album from being categorised as Symphonic Prog”, and etc.

I think it might have been better had the band changed their name when Hogarth joined, and, indeed, band members have confirmed in numerous interviews that this was a serious discussion amongst them.

It really is all about the music. I get why some of the purists don’t get or like them, but I just love the storytelling, incredible musicianship, and the atmosphere the band create.

And exceedingly well said from your side too.  

Speaking for myself, I am definitely not obsessive about the Fish sound (which is why I did a revisit today).  I tend to respect change on the part of a band and get bored of bands that don't change (which would be the reason I have no idea what songs are on the last released Iron Maiden or AC DC albums).  It's just this visceral reaction in me to Hogarth that I can't really explain.  Happens; music is a bit like food.  When you don't like it, you don't like it, even if the best chef in the world has cooked the meal for you.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 14:04
I am a fool. A complete fool. I have the right to like and dislike anything. My opinion doesn't matter anyway.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 15:33
People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?

...exactly like people who disown Yes without Jon, or Pink Floyd without Roger, or Genesis without Gabriel, Hackett, Collins, Phillips, Silver, Mayhew, and Ray Wilson. Or King Crimson without... [insert long list here]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234