Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: What's their case?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
4 [8.33%]
11 [22.92%]
11 [22.92%]
1 [2.08%]
17 [35.42%]
2 [4.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People who disown Marillion without Fish are...?
    Posted: November 14 2020 at 16:35
Let's see how this one turns out... Please, do not take it too seriously. Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 16:49
When I think of Fish, I think of Chris Squire and Yes - not Marillion. Smile

I have a feeling Colin Salmon and Walter Trout may be nicknamed Fish too, not to mention Julian Bream. There's a Plaice for all of them.Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 14 2020 at 16:58
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 16:50
I've really tried with post fish Marillion, I just don't like the musical direction they went and I just find his voice grating a lot of times. Some good cuts of Marbles and Seasons end though.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 20:06
Never liked Marillion. I tried though. 
I still listen to them every now and then, but...I guess I just don't hear what everyone else is hearing.
I still respect them because of how so many people people her admire them, so they must be doing something good, I just can't hear it (yet).
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 20:18
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I have a feeling Colin Salmon and Walter Trout may be nicknamed Fish too, not to mention Julian Bream. There's a Plaice for all of them.Smile

Your Puns are Brill
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 22:21
Like Genesis............I like both eras of Marillion, why not?? Great music is great music. Plus I think H is a better vocalist than Fish.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 22:36
though I prefer Marillion with fish I still have loads of respect they have done after fish left the band, some really strong material. I'm a big fan of the holidays in eden album ..something I noticed a lot of marillion fans aren't, but I disagree, 100 nights is one of marillions best ever songs ! Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - November 14 2020 at 22:40
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 23:21
I'm one of the smart ones. It's your loss if you don't like H-era Marillion.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 01:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Like Genesis............I like both eras of Marillion, why not?? Great music is great music. Plus I think H is a better vocalist than Fish.

I refer all honourable members to my Right Honourable Friend’s extremely sensible answer.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 02:07

I think he has a wider range and his voice is more recognizable.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 03:07
They are fools! Sleepy

I like everything Marillion did with Fish. With Hogarth they made some very good albums, some OK albums and some disappointing albums - that happens when a band is having a long career. Never understood why you should dismiss a band when they change the singer (or any other member, for that matter...). It is not as if they became radically different in their music; yes, they changed (fortunately), but they remained recognizably Marillion to my ears (with some exceptions).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 03:22
I loved Marillion with Fish. I've got all the Fish era albums. When Fish left I was very sad, but I bought the new album from the band, and the solo album from Fish.

Both of them disappointed me.

The chemistry was gone. Fish had the vocal sound I loved, with that Scottish leer, and the intelligent lyrics, and the concepts where themes crossed over between albums.

Combine that with the great musicianship of the band, especially Steve Rothery's guitar, and the result was something special.

I have albums from the Hogarth era, but they just don't hold the same appeal for me.

The Hogarth albums are fairly standard rock. They're not particularly proggy. The musicianship is still good, but, for me, the magic died when Fish left.
Songs cast a light on you
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 03:51
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I refer all honourable members to my Right Honourable Friend’s extremely sensible answer.

Here too!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 04:13
I think the fish era is certainly more " proggy" but I own 5 hogarth albums and enjoy them for what they are. I still have difficulty with Brave but I'm getting there I think.
I have only the first fish album which I found average to be honest.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 04:37
Originally posted by Mudpuppy64 Mudpuppy64 wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Your Puns are Brill
Thanks, and I like your pun too!  Thumbs Up  I thought Steve Hillage may be nicknamed Fish too, but that was just a Red Herring. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 05:01
Steve Hogarth turned up on Pointless Celebrities last night which was a bit of a surprise. I like post-Fish Marillion but not a massive fan of his voice, it does grate on me a bit.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 05:02
I came to Marillion late in the game (post Fish).  That said I much prefer the Steve Hogarth era.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:09

true---I don't love all of either period of the band---but I think there is some great stuff from both periods--probably a little more greatness from the H period---they all became better musicians.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 08:53
I like Fish as vocalist/lyrics better ANY DAY over Hogarth.  I find Hogarth's voice annoying sometimes.  In some cases it just seems like he whispers whole songs.  Drives me nuts.  I have not enjoyed much after the Marillion.com album. 

I will say that Marillion's musicianship is incredible no matter who is singing.

Edited by cemego - November 15 2020 at 08:54
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 09:00
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

I like Fish as vocalist/lyrics better ANY DAY over Hogarth.  I find Hogarth's voice annoying sometimes.  In some cases it just seems like he whispers whole songs.  Drives me nuts.  I have not enjoyed much after the Marillion.com album. 

I will say that Marillion's musicianship is incredible no matter who is singing.

so you haven't listened to Anoraknophobia, Marbles, FEAR, Sounds that Can't Be Made?
You're missing out IMO. 

Edited by Cristi - November 15 2020 at 09:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>