Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When did u not only "get", but actually love VDGG?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When did u not only "get", but actually love VDGG?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 09 2017
Location: Now
Status: Offline
Points: 7324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 23:22
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Circa 1985 when I was sixteen. I got Godbluff on vinyl and it rewired my brain.

That's a unique time period to discover VDGG, IMO! Everyone else was probably blasting Flock of Seagulls and here you are diving deep LOL Clap.
I had to be into stuff nobody else liked - perverse moody teenager that I was. Prog was fairly good for that. Even the other members of the tiny prog clique at my school (...there were three of us...) didn't really dig VdGG, so I knew I was onto a winner. Plus it probably goes without saying that I was a doomed poet living in a meaningless world of fools, so I related to Peter Hammill straight away. 

Did like Japan, Tears for Fears, etc as well to be fair. Though not really Flock of Seagulls.

Nothing wrong with 80's pop and synth my man, it's some of the best music of all time as well! I was just poking some honest fun at that contrast LOL. Tears for Fears is quintessential 80's listening! Shout! Shout! Let it all out! Wink

"What is Prog?"-verslibre


Mellotron or GTFO.
Back to Top
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 07 2019
Location: Culver City, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 1260
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 00:41
THESE ARE THE THINGS I COULD DO WITHOUT, SO COME ON!
Back to Top
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 21 2013
Location: OMG NC HAN
Status: Offline
Points: 4832
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 01:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:


The music†of Van der Graaf Generator†had never really generated much interest†before I joined Prog Archives, but after reading all of the appreciative comments about VDGG on PA, they sparked my interest and I went out and bought their two 1970 CD albums without†even hearing them first. I wasn't disappointed, but it's a good thing I didn't buy the Pawn Hearts album instead. Wink
Here are my VDGG ratings after listening to all of their albums recently:-
4 stars† 1969: The Aerosol Grey Machine
5 stars††1970: The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other
5 stars† 1970: H to He, Who Are the Only One
2 stars† 1972: Pawn Hearts
3 stars††1975: Godbluff
3 stars††1976: Still Life
3 stars††1976: World Record
3 stars††1977: The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome
2 stars† 1978: Vital
2 stars† 2005: Present
2 stars† 2008: Trisector
2 stars† 2011: A Grounding in Numbers
2 stars† 2012: ALT
2 stars† 2016: Do Not Disturb








ONLY Two Stars for Pawn Hearts argh!
Todayís the same as every other day! LOCKDOWN SUCKS‼️

Is it Sunday or Monday ooh SPAT‼️
Back to Top
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 09 2017
Location: Now
Status: Offline
Points: 7324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 01:36
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

THESE ARE THE THINGS I COULD DO WITHOUT, SO COME ON!

EVER-Y BOD-Y WANTS-TO-RULE-THE-WORLD!

"What is Prog?"-verslibre


Mellotron or GTFO.
Back to Top
Grubert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: January 20 2020
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 112
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 09:23
For all the real VdGG fanatics and lunatics, there exists a forum now founded by Phil Smart, the co-author of the big VdGG book. It just started yesterday ...

https://vdgg.freeforums.net/
Back to Top
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 4699
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 11:01
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Circa 1985 when I was sixteen. I got Godbluff on vinyl and it rewired my brain.


That's a unique time period to discover VDGG, IMO! Everyone else was probably blasting Flock of Seagulls and here you are diving deep LOL†Clap.
I had to be into stuff nobody else liked - perverse moody teenager that I was. Prog was fairly good for that. Even the other members of the tiny prog clique at my school (...there were three of us...) didn't really dig VdGG, so I knew I was onto a winner. Plus it probably goes without saying that I was a doomed poet living in a meaningless world of fools, so I related to Peter Hammill straight away.†

Did like Japan, Tears for Fears, etc as well to be fair. Though not really Flock of Seagulls.




Nothing wrong with 80's pop and synth my man, it's some of the best music of all time as well! I was just poking some honest fun at that contrast LOL. Tears for Fears is quintessential 80's listening! Shout! Shout! Let it all out!†Wink
Oh yeah, Iím not ashamed of those bands and still like them. These days I even like some of the stuff I didnít dig at the time like Gary Numan.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Back to Top
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 07 2019
Location: Culver City, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 1260
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 11:15
SOME-THING HAPPENED AND I'M HEAD O-VER HEELS
Back to Top
Grubert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: January 20 2020
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 112
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 01:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I've got to be honest and say Van der Graaf Generator's "Present" (2005) album is one of the worst prog albums I've ever heard. For instance, have a listen to this discordant mess on the first track on Disc Two.....
 
Van der Graaf Generator - Vulcan Meld
 



Actually for me, and others may view this different, the 2nd CD of Present is just a bonus disc. As these are only improvisatins recorded while rehearsing for the album. And even if i prefer VdGG with the sax, I don't care much for this disc, but think that Alt (another set of improvisations), which is also for me not really part of their discography, is fun to hear.

So only the first CD of Present is the real album, and there is stuff on this for which I really needed some time to get in. Especially In Babelsberg was for nearly 15 years one of the least VdGG songs with not much interesting things in it, but suddenly last year it made kinda bang, and now I abolutely enjoy it.
Acutally Present is probably just after my all time favourite Pawn Hearts the VdGG album I listened too the most in the last 10 years. It is by far the best from the reformed band and Every Bloody Emperor and Nutter alert belong to there best work ever. I even began to dig On the Beach a little bit, which was initially a total disappointment, but is now nice enough not to skip it when returning to the complete album.
Back to Top
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 25 2017
Location: Seattle
Status: Offline
Points: 328
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2020 at 19:07
To this day I still don't like VDGG.  I've listened to their albums through the years (maybe not all of them, but several) - I think my first exposure was when I got married - my wife had Still Life.  I'll keep trying.  (I disliked David Sylvian for over a decade, and now he's one of my favorites.  Something happens and it all comes together, and you 'hear' it.) 
Back to Top
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: October 19 2007
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 2882
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:59
I had never heard of them before I joined PA 13 years ago. Then I started exploring their music and Iīve become a fan. They are not one of my favorite prog rock artists, but they are certainly among the most unique and I have great respect for them as musicians and composers.


Edited by UMUR - December 19 2020 at 03:03
Back to Top
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 16 2019
Location: Nottingham, U.K
Status: Offline
Points: 11993
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2020 at 03:35
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:


The music of Van der Graaf Generator had never really generated much interest before I joined Prog Archives, but after reading all of the appreciative comments about VDGG on PA, they sparked my interest and I went out and bought their two 1970 CD albums without even hearing them first. I wasn't disappointed, but it's a good thing I didn't buy the Pawn Hearts album instead. Wink
 
Here are my VDGG ratings after listening to all of their albums recently:-
 
 4 stars  1969: The Aerosol Grey Machine
 5 stars  1970: The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other
 5 stars  1970: H to He, Who Are the Only One
 2 stars  1972: Pawn Hearts
 3 stars  1975: Godbluff
 3 stars  1976: Still Life
 3 stars  1976: World Record
 3 stars  1977: The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome
 2 stars  1978: Vital
 2 stars  2005: Present
 2 stars  2008: Trisector
 2 stars  2011: A Grounding in Numbers
 2 stars  2012: ALT
 2 stars  2016: Do Not Disturb








ONLY Two Stars for Pawn Hearts argh!
 
Sorry I dislike the Pawn Hearts album, but I've listened to it three times now and I still don't "get it". On a positive note though, it's the best of VDGG's 2-star albums, in my opinion. Smile
Back to Top
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: February 09 2010
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 2293
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 17:28
I'm not a great listener of VDGG but you've got me baffled how you could rate Pawn Hearts only 2 stars. Three stars for Godbluff and Still Life is easily ridiculous.
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site Admin

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Points: 22525
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 18:17
I'm a VdGG fan and Paul has rated more VdGG albums than I have heard (he has rated 14 albums). I do suspect that Paul hasn't given Pawn Hearts much of a chance (maybe listened once on youtube as I doubt he owns all (any?) of those VDGG albums or has given them all multiple spins). Albums can take some time to live and breathe with you in your collection. I had the album for more than a year before it altogether clicked. I did love Man-Erg right from the start, and later I fell head-over-heels for a Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, but Lemmings was a little harder. It can take not just spins but time, patience and the right mood for music to click (some never will, so move on -- so much music, so little time). I wouldn't feel comfortable rating music that I haven't listened to considerable times, but we're all different (that ends up skewing ratings high).

I got into VdGG in about 2005 or 2004. In about late 2006 or 2007 I was quite obsessive about The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other, H to He Who Am the Only One, and Pawn Hearts. Those three remain the ones that I return to the most. For Godbluff, Still Life, World Record, and The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome I have to be in a certain mood. At one time I was very into Godbluff, but the last time I listened it didn't much appeal. I listen to more Peter Hammill "solo" than VdGG for some reason. Think I'll put on The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage right now.

Edited by Logan - December 23 2020 at 18:35
Feel free to speak your mind, but mind your speech.
Back to Top
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 16 2014
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 199
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 03:55
Iím getting there. My first times listening to VDGG was largely impacted by the reaction to Peterís voice. It overshadowed the music and made it difficult to appreciate. These days Iíve gotten used to his voice and can better listen to the enitre albums, which is where the real love can be born.

At this point Iím at the stage where VDGG is quite new, unexplored and exciting, and Iím really enjoying it.

Early eclectic prog has proven to be a bit challenging. I like some KC albums, but not comfortable with most. GG is still not there, though I give them a listen here and there. VDGG is slowly getting there.
Back to Top
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 09 2017
Location: Now
Status: Offline
Points: 7324
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 04:14
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Iím getting there. My first times listening to VDGG was largely impacted by the reaction to Peterís voice. It overshadowed the music and made it difficult to appreciate. These days Iíve gotten used to his voice and can better listen to the enitre albums, which is where the real love can be born.

At this point Iím at the stage where VDGG is quite new, unexplored and exciting, and Iím really enjoying it.

Early eclectic prog has proven to be a bit challenging. I like some KC albums, but not comfortable with most. GG is still not there, though I give them a listen here and there. VDGG is slowly getting there.

The first time I heard VDGG, it was "Killer", and I immediately thought "This is absolutely ridiculous how can people consider this good, let alone exemplary of some genre?!" Cool

Now they're in my top 5 lol.

"What is Prog?"-verslibre


Mellotron or GTFO.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.137 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.