Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Big Generator.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - Big Generator.
    Posted: November 16 2020 at 08:45
It's one of my favorite 80s rock albums. But not one of my favorite 80s prog albums. So, have at it.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 08:48
I created a Big Generator thread just a little while ago. Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 08:52
Are you sure it wasn't for 90125? Big smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 08:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't for 90125? Big smile

*sigh*

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 09:08

Carry on then. Two is always better than one LOL and this thread is not a poll like yours.

Edited by SteveG - November 16 2020 at 09:10
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:02
I just can't seem to get past the album's bad reviews (and I haven't really enjoyed what I've heard of it). Has it been remastered, and what's its best tune?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Carry on then. Two is always better than one LOL and this thread is not a poll like yours.

same idea, but anyway... 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I just can't seem to get past the album's bad reviews (and I haven't really enjoyed what I've heard of it). Has it been remastered, and what's its best tune?
Most of the songs are good to me, but it's more in the vain of AOR, then old Yes. It's not as blatantly poppy like Asia, imo.

The mastering on CD is quite a puzzle. The original 1987 CD edition sounded decent if a bit shy on bass and a bit bright. This was changed to a dull remaster in 1991 for no good reason. I believe it was remastered again in 2009 with bonus tracks, but I've yet to come across it, so I can't say how it sounds.

Edited by SteveG - November 16 2020 at 10:56
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:49
This version of Yes never did it for me... and I try to avoid Big Generator.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:52

Don't read reviews.....Why let someone else determine your listening habits?? I have the '87 CD mastered at Precision Lacquer by Stephen Marcussen, pressed by SRC. I believe it is mixed by Trevor which he likes treble, so its bright IMO.
Also have the '87 LP version pressed by Allied as a DMM (Direct Metal Master) plating, which tend to be bass shy but this one is better than the CD version and not as bright.
In '87 did not have a car CD player so I dubbed to cassette using metal bias tape and that sounded better than the CD as it was a bit warmer and had low end.....It was quiet enough for a car system.

I don't think it has been officially reissued, remastered or remixed in the US/UK, there are some reissues out of Japan, I think SACD but who knows the quality, probably suspect and not official. Friday Music reissued on LP in US but those are spotty at best from Friday Music, Joe Reagoso is a good engineer, problem is the masters he receives.

As far as the album, I very much enjoy it......It has some prog tendencies but its not progressive rock at all. That stopped by '87 and especially by Yes........and I don't call it pop music at all. It's rock music
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 11:00
Not my favorite Yes album but it has some good moments. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Don't read reviews.....Why let someone else determine your listening habits?? I have the '87 CD mastered at Precision Lacquer by Stephen Marcussen, pressed by SRC. I believe it is mixed by Trevor which he likes treble, so its bright IMO.
Also have the '87 LP version pressed by Allied as a DMM (Direct Metal Master) plating, which tend to be bass shy but this one is better than the CD version and not as bright.
In '87 did not have a car CD player so I dubbed to cassette using metal bias tape and that sounded better than the CD as it was a bit warmer and had low end.....It was quiet enough for a car system.

I don't think it has been officially reissued, remastered or remixed in the US/UK, there are some reissues out of Japan, I think SACD but who knows the quality, probably suspect and not official. Friday Music reissued on LP in US but those are spotty at best from Friday Music, Joe Reagoso is a good engineer, problem is the masters he receives.

As far as the album, I very much enjoy it......It has some prog tendencies but its not progressive rock at all. That stopped by '87 and especially by Yes........and I don't call it pop music at all. It's rock music
You're right Jose, I can only find the Japanese remasters. That's probably why I haven't seen them. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 12:23
According to a friend, whose ears I trust, the original CD with SRC imbedded on the disc (my CD) is the original brighter disc. The duller and lower volume remastered disc has RE 101 imbedded on the disc and came out about 4 years later. He has the Japanese remaster from 2010 and says it has more bass but is also a bit compressed. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 21:13

I guess I won't dislike the album if I hear it again, but I hardly love anything from it either. I guess the best song for progger would have to be "Shoot High, Aim Low", though I might just as well like "Holy Lamb" best. Both of which actually sound rather different from the rest of the album, as far as I remember.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 04:39
I like the album, especially side 2 - "I'm Running" is a great song. It's quite possible that I prefer it to 90125.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 04:46
Final Eyes and I'm Running are superb.

I also love the energy of Almost Like Love. Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 05:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I like the album, especially side 2 - "I'm Running" is a great song. It's quite possible that I prefer it to 90125.
Same here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 05:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Final Eyes and I'm Running are superb.

I also love the energy of Almost Like Love. Big smile
Nice. Thumbs Up
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 05:40
I had picked up a mint copy LP back at the end of last year for around $6 CDN.
Shoot High Aim Low, Almost Like Love, I'm Running are the highlights for me.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 06:34
One of the most underrated Yes albums imo. Yes were a band who did different things and not just stereotypical prog. I think this is something that a lot of their longtime fans struggle with and can't fully comprehend. The only later albums I think are better are the ladder, possibly talk and maybe magnification and that's it. Maybe ABWH also but that's not technically a Yes album anyway. 

My favorite track on it is probably "I'm running" but I think the whole thing is very good. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>