Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Big Generator.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 06:41
I must agree with "Shoot High, Aim Low" as highest point for a prog taste.
Strongest feature overall: Tremendous vocal harmonies, fully integrating the great Trevor Rabin's voice in the lower register.
Weakest: The poor sound fixed for the drums, very demeaning of Alan's extraordinary abilities.
As for the High Vibration SACD edition coming from Japan, I find the boost in the bass area interesting, the huge compression level not so much.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 07:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

(EDIT)The only later albums I think are better are the ladder, possibly talk and maybe magnification and that's it. Maybe ABWH also but that's not technically a Yes album anyway.
From the Ladder, my highlights are Homeworld (The Ladder), Lightning Strikes and New Language. Lightening Strikes digs deep into my brain and takes control of my body, whenever I have it on I just can't help but dance around the room like an idiot. I mean really, "What'cha gonna do when the lightening strikes and hits you?"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 07:20
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

(EDIT)The only later albums I think are better are the ladder, possibly talk and maybe magnification and that's it. Maybe ABWH also but that's not technically a Yes album anyway.
From the Ladder, my highlights are Homeworld (The Ladder), Lightning Strikes and New Language. Lightening Strikes digs deep into my brain and takes control of my body, whenever I have it on I just can't help but dance around the room like an idiot. I mean really, "What'cha gonna do when the lightening strikes and hits you?"
Prog on JD! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 12:06
This is one of those albums I loved when it first came out, but it has not stood the test of time with me. I rarely listen to it now.

I absolutely LOATHE "Rhythm of Love" and "Almost Like Love".

"Love Will Find a Way" and "Holy Lamb" are passable, but belong on solo albums.

The rest is pretty decent. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 12:21
Never bought it...haven't heard most of it though I am familiar with a few tracks from you tube...also never bought 90125...again have heard it on the radio and you tube. Last one I bought was Drama....stopped there.
I suppose it and 90125 aren't 'bad' albums but they are mediocre to me and are missing that 'classic Yes sound'....however one defines it. I think the first 10 lps are plenty to listen to.

*Cover is very similar to KC-3 of a Perfect Pair....interesting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 13:44
I've noticed that often people of different ages and backgrounds often have different experiences with the music. I'm maybe older than a lot on here but younger than some so my pov is maybe a bit unique. When BG came out I was already into Yes and liked both 90125 and the older stuff. For me BG is more interesting than and closer to a so called vintage Yes album than 90125 so for me personally I prefer it over that one. I also saw them for the first time on the BG tour so it has sentimental value for that reason alone. Holy Lamb is one of the most underrated things they have done and is sort of a 1980's "wonderous stories." Maybe not one of their best but a very special album for me.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:10
I like quite a bit of it. The utopian futuristic sci-fi thing going on is pretty neat and Rabin's guitar work and tones are excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12