Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes Solo: First Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [22.03%]
1 [1.69%]
8 [13.56%]
1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
19 [32.20%]
15 [25.42%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes Solo: First Album
    Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:50
Jon has my vote
A very good cuvée
Chris, Rick and Bill' works are favs
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 13:15
1. Fish Out of Water
2. The Light Program
3. Beginnings
4. Six Wives of Henry VIII
5. Feels Good to Me
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 02:52
Chris Squire - Fish Out Of Water
Jon Anderson - Olias Of Sunhillow
Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry VIII
Patrick Moraz - The Story Of I
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 02:43
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

OK prog friends, laugh at me all you want... But outside of Buggles, I think the best thing Geoff Downes EVER DID was "The Light Program" album.  I had it on cassette when it first came out and I played it so much I wore it out and needed to buy a new one.  Funny thing is, everything he has done since (Asia, Yes, etc) has been crap.   For me, Geoff Downes was only good in Buggles and THIS album.  If you haven't heard The Light Program, get some headphones and give it a listen.  It could be considered saccharin program music, but the moods and sonic/rhythmic changes are very very interesting if not GENIUS.  It was definitely a unique approach and worthy of recognition. I liked the Yes Drama album, but this album is truly the pinnacle of his work "IMHO".

One well-deserved vote for Geoff Downes and one sympathy vote for Billy Sherwood. Smile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 15:58
The top 3 of the poll sum it up really - but played Squire yesterday, and it was so special... so it has to be Fish Out of Water for me.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 15:27
Chris Squire, and Rick Wakeman.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 09:57

OK prog friends, laugh at me all you want... But outside of Buggles, I think the best thing Geoff Downes EVER DID was "The Light Program" album.  I had it on cassette when it first came out and I played it so much I wore it out and needed to buy a new one.  Funny thing is, everything he has done since (Asia, Yes, etc) has been crap.   For me, Geoff Downes was only good in Buggles and THIS album.  If you haven't heard The Light Program, get some headphones and give it a listen.  It could be considered saccharin program music, but the moods and sonic/rhythmic changes are very very interesting if not GENIUS.  It was definitely a unique approach and worthy of recognition. I liked the Yes Drama album, but this album is truly the pinnacle of his work "IMHO".

Not laughing, and I agree with you that The Light Program is quite a good album, though IMO not on par with the best albums of this poll list. And, personally, I prefer some of Downs band contributions (Yes, Asia) over his solo efforts.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 22:26
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The Fish with no doubts

Your choice is fine!  Have you ever seen this video?  Squire's fashion sense is a scream!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Six Wives for me, easily.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 12:54

Trevor Horn, Oliver Wakeman, and Igor Khoroshev have also released solo albums.

About Horn, I didn't even know before just now. But apparently he did a soundtrack album in his own name for an anime in 2017 called The Reflection Big smile

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - November 18 2020 at 12:55
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 12:49
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII.</span>

And me
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 11:45
Six Wives for me, easily.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 11:44
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ I listened to it when it came out and I can only say that it's not better than what he did with Yes (far from that - not to say that it is just average). I was also disappointed by the Conspiracy album he did with Squire; after that I left Sherwood behind.

All the other albums of this list are better than average, but I only own 8 of them (I had the others on cassette, but not anymore...).

Edit: oh well, the Rabin album wasn't that great either...

And that's why I'm not thrilled at all about Sherwood replacing Squire on Yes, and it doesn't give me high hopes at the prospect of them releasing a new studio album at some point.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 11:43

outside of Buggles, best thing he ever did was on Yes's Drama if you ask me.
I also like a few Asia albums. 
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 11:30
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 08:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yes, it's the Beginnings of another Ramshackled  series of album polls, which Still Feels Good to Me, despite feeling like a Fish Out of Water this time last year. Smile

be kind, I may disagree with Paul a lot of time, i'm still trying to be kind nevertheless. 
No need to post the most negative emoticon we got here. 
Maybe Rednight thinks it's a Ramshackled poll, and at least it shows he reads the intros to my polls, but thanks for your unexpected support anyway. Smile

And Yes, we do tend to disagree rather a lot, but the wonderful world of prog would be incredibly dull if we all agreed on everything. Smile

You probably noticed I always Thank you for your posts, even when you disagree with me. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 18 2020 at 12:26
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 07:18
Jon Anderson. Olias of Sunhillow is a fantastic album, above the rest.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 06:51
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Yes, it's the Beginnings of another Ramshackled  series of album polls, which Still Feels Good to Me, despite feeling like a Fish Out of Water this time last year. Smile

be kind, I may disagree with Paul a lot of time, i'm still trying to be kind nevertheless. 
No need to post the most negative emoticon we got here. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 06:39

"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 06:35

^ Great picture! Thumbs Up

I like your new profile picture too, which is even more psychedelic than my Jimi Hendrix rainbow avatar. Smile

Thank you! That's Chameleon from Mortal Kombat; he morphs between all the male ninjas, and is coincidentally psychedelic, which fits very well with my favorite game AND personality lol Wink Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>