Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Allan Holdsworth recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Allan Holdsworth recommendations
    Posted: November 18 2020 at 14:31
I love Holdsworth's playing on the UK album & the Bruford stuff but I haven't checked out any of his solo stuff or other projects he may have been involved with. Where's a good place to start? 
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 14:36
Soft Machine - Bundles Heart

Edited by Rivertree - November 18 2020 at 14:40

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 14:41
For solo, Secrets is a good starter, and then on to  i.o.u., Wardenclyffe Tower, Road Games, Hardhat Area .

He also plays on tons of other stuff including Tony William's Believe It, Planet X's Quantum, Soft Machine Bundles, Moerlen's Gazeuse! , many others.

Good luck!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
xhouse View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 14:54
A favorite of mine is K2-Book of the Dead. http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7398
Between Thought and Expression Lies True Perception
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 15:18
Can't go wrong with any Holdsworth. Metal Fatigue, I.O.U, Hard Hat Area all fantastic.

His playing on Jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatic Ocean" is stellar. Also, "MVP - Truth in Shredding".

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 18 2020 at 15:18
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 15:44
The first two Bruford albums and the first UK album are prog staples featuring AH, but also check out his funky jazz bits on the Believe It! Lp from the Tony Williams Lifetime.  And can't forget AH's contributions to Gong's Gazeuse! album.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 15:45
All great recs so far. Yeah just jump into his discography. One of my favorite solos of his is on Low Levels, High Stakes, off Hard Hat Area.

Another album is Heavy Machinery, a record he did with Anders and Jens Johansson. Very fun.

^Here is another one of his best solos, off of The Atacama Experience, by Jean-Luc Ponty.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 15:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgIy_Fk-mQ
Here's another of his best solos. Lots of giants on this record.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:16
Non solo related, Soft Machine's Bundles (and live album Floating World Live), K2's Book Of The Dead, and GonG's Gazeuse!. 

For his solo stuff...a bit more hit or miss with me (usual misses are when vocals are involved), but when it hits it soars. I'd recommend Then! Live, Hard Hat Area, Sand, and Blues For Tony. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:16
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will check these out & see which ones are going on my Christmas list!

Edited by Argo2112 - November 19 2020 at 10:58
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:23
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

...Another album is Heavy Machinery, a record he did with Anders and Jens Johansson. Very fun...

I found this to contain some of his best work. And probably the best compositions from the Johansson brothers as well.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 11:02
^You beat me to it, Tapfret. Great minds!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 13:16
The rhythm section work on that album is so tight.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 17:36
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

The rhythm section work on that album is so tight.

Fission is great, too.

My favorite Jens Johansson album is his first one, Fjäderlösa Tvåfotingar.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 17:42
Bundles is my fav Holdsworth work
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 16:54
And Holdsworth always said he wasn't happy with the Softs and their style, yet it's some of my favorite albums featuring AH.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 18:46
metal fatigue.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 19:13
Allan's Wikipedia page is especially well-written and has a great deal of good information!  Whomever wrote this was likely both a fan and guitarist.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2020 at 00:13
Holdsworth is the OG! As others have mentioned, but here are the direct stream links:

Metal Fatigue:

IOU:

Hard Hat Area:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 13:09
My favorite work by him is probably Bundles. But another of my favorite Allan Holdsworth projects is Gazeuse! by Gong or more accurately Pierre Moerlen's Gong (the name this line up would take two years later because it has nothing to do with Daevid Allen's Gong). He also plays violin there and there is a reworking of one of his solo pieces. A very interesting album.
Dragged down by the stone
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>