Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst prog band name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 02:38
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Soul Enema

Which reminds me of one of those stories that confirms that truth is stranger than fiction, in this case in the form of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_H._Kenyon
Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 08:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Soul Enema

That's the one I've been trying to remember since this thread started. Dead That's not a good name.
Ditto! I wonder if this band realizes that some people will not bother even listening to their music based on this awful band name.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 07:49
Tool. I mean what a stupid name what tool thought of that. And a general bonus one - Salmonella Dub. The truly awful 'best' ones are in Metal Archives....

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 08:11
Have to agree with everyone mentioning The Samurai Of Prog, awful.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 08:27
Catching up on the six pages since I last checked this thread, and the only band names I agree are bad are The The and Samurai of Prog. Nothing else mentioned seems bad to me.

I like the name Soul Enema, too. I think that’s a great name! And their music is pretty damn great, too. But if you’re the kind of person to be put off by the name of their band, then that’s probably for the best, because I think it’s fairly representative of their lyrical content, too.... 😄
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 14:23
Fruupp.. i love the music but the name... mainly because ive never been sure how to pronounce it and really ive never heard anyone say it! Apparently it was the name of the ghost that haunted the house they live in, in Belfast (??)

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - November 23 2020 at 02:12

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 23:09
Big Elf.  Awful name, and ear-curdling music. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 17:04
King Gizzard and the lizard wizard (one of the worst band names ever)

There are a few other lame ones but I can't think of them off the top of my head. None of them are worse thank KGATLW though.

Uriah Heep probably isn't a very good band name either. 

I'm also not a fan of member names for bands like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Crosby, Stills and Nash and Anderson,Bruford, Wakeman and Howe. All good bands though. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 24 2020 at 17:08
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 21:04
Not the worst, but I've always thought it was boring to name a band after the place they're from, Kansas, Boston, UK, Chicago, America, or places they're not from, Japan, Europe, Asia. Just yawners.

BTW, I think Uriah Heep is a cool name. I used to call em You Are A Heap.

Edited by stegor - November 24 2020 at 21:07
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Not the worst, but I've always thought it was boring to name a band after the place they're from, Kansas, Boston, UK, Chicago, America, or places they're not from, Japan, Europe, Asia. Just yawners.

BTW, I think Uriah Heep is a cool name. I used to call em You Are A Heap.

"You Are A Heap" - that's smart and funny. Thumbs Up

Europe are Swedish. Sweden is in Europe. TongueLOL

I made a Europe vs Asia poll once (the bands), but all i got was sarcasm and mockery. OuchLOL
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 03:43
Does anyone remember New England?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 14:33
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Does anyone remember New England?

I've heard of them and heard one or two of their songs but I don't actually "remember" them. Apparently they had one hit called "never wanna lose ya." Not sure how to describe but maybe a slightly more proggish version of the Babies but still not prog. Not really a bad band name or at least not worse than any other geographic band name(ie Boston, Kansas, Chicago, etc.).
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 09:47
The Flower Kings.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 09:58
One that i've always hated is Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Really? Not Stygian Octopus or Bournemouth Blather?

Oh well. Love their first four albums at least.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Fruupp.. i love the music but the name... mainly because ive never been sure how to pronounce it and really ive never heard anyone say it! Apparently it was the name of the ghost that haunted the house they live in, in Belfast (??)

FRUUP rhymes with up and cup and tup and sup. Agreed that it's a horrible name but the debut album is a masterpiece IMHO

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

FRUUP rhymes with up and cup and tup and sup. Agreed that it's a horrible name but the debut album is a masterpiece IMHO

To my ears, Fruupp is OK. It is like fruit-syrup.

Tusmørke always sounds uncool to me though.

Edited by Shadowyzard - November 26 2020 at 10:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

To my ears, Fruupp is OK. It is like fruit-syrup.

Tusmørke always sounds uncool to me though.

Or Fruit Cup LOL

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 13:21
^ Perhaps Robert Fripp should collaborate with them. Fripp-Fruupp sounds cool! Or at least, funny. Star
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 14:03

Seems a bit odd that they'd put in two 'u's and pronounce it with one.. i thought it might be pronounced Fru-upp (two syllables) or like 'Froop'.. either way, as i said ive never 'heard' anyone actually 'say' their name so happy to go with 'rhymes with cup' etc.

I love all four lps (my personal favourite is Modern Masquerade) and they were damned fine hard-working band but as a name its a bit of a stinker...LOL 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 14:17

Seems a bit odd that they'd put in two 'u's and pronounce it with one.. i thought it might be pronounced Fru-upp (two syllables) or like 'Froop'.. either way, as i said ive never 'heard' anyone actually 'say' their name so happy to go with 'rhymes with cup' etc.

I love all four lps (my personal favourite is Modern Masquerade) and they were damned fine hard-working band but as a name its a bit of a stinker...LOL 

Why is it odd? English is odd. Two OO's can sound like cook, food, cooperation and other vowel combinations are seemingly random as well. I researched this for my review of the debut album FUTURE LEGENDS.

Excerpt:

First things first. This unique progressive rock band known as FRUUPP that formed in 1971 in Belfast, Northern Ireland is pronounced like it rhymes with “cup,” “sup” or ”pup” and contrary to claims that the band was named after a ghost as posted in an early bio, the name was in reality taken from letters remaining on a Letraset page with an extra U and P added just because it’s proggier that way! Thus the name is nonsensical and has proved to be a source of confusion throughout the band’s legendary status as one of prog’s hardest working bands that played hundreds of gigs alongside the greats such as Genesis, Queen and King Crimson, released four albums on the Dawn label and created an innovative mix of Celtic folk and progressive rock mixed with an interesting mix of classical, blues, jazz and a highly creative imagination. Sadly, FRUUPP has been rendered to near obscurity despite a very original mix of highly melodic eclecticism, particularly on this debut album FUTURE LEGENDS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>