Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst prog band name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ Perhaps Robert Fripp should collaborate with them. Fripp-Fruupp sounds cool! Or at least, funny. Star

I love it! Clap

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 02:17
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Fruupp.. i love the music but the name... mainly because ive never been sure how to pronounce it and really ive never heard anyone say it! Apparently it was the name of the ghost that haunted the house they live in, in Belfast (??)

FRUUP rhymes with up and cup and tup and sup. Agreed that it's a horrible name but the debut album is a masterpiece IMHO

Seems a bit odd that they'd put in two 'u's and pronounce it with one.. i thought it might be pronounced Fru-upp (two syllables) or like 'Froop'.. either way, as i said ive never 'heard' anyone actually 'say' their name so happy to go with 'rhymes with cup' etc.

I love all four lps (my personal favourite is Modern Masquerade) and they were damned fine hard-working band but as a name its a bit of a stinker...LOL 

Why is it odd? English is odd. Two OO's can sound like cook, food, cooperation and other vowel combinations are seemingly random as well. I researched this for my review of the debut album FUTURE LEGENDS.

Excerpt:

First things first. This unique progressive rock band known as FRUUPP that formed in 1971 in Belfast, Northern Ireland is pronounced like it rhymes with “cup,” “sup” or ”pup” and contrary to claims that the band was named after a ghost as posted in an early bio, the name was in reality taken from letters remaining on a Letraset page with an extra U and P added just because it’s proggier that way! Thus the name is nonsensical and has proved to be a source of confusion throughout the band’s legendary status as one of prog’s hardest working bands that played hundreds of gigs alongside the greats such as Genesis, Queen and King Crimson, released four albums on the Dawn label and created an innovative mix of Celtic folk and progressive rock mixed with an interesting mix of classical, blues, jazz and a highly creative imagination. Sadly, FRUUPP has been rendered to near obscurity despite a very original mix of highly melodic eclecticism, particularly on this debut album FUTURE LEGENDS.

I bow to your obvious and eminently superior knowledge on the subject. I do remember about the letraset now but prefer the ghost storyWink

bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 02:38
Voivod is a name that grates on me for some reason.

But I think its actually because of the name of their second album:
Rrröööaaarrr

That's a metal band that isn't trying.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Does anyone remember New England?

I've heard of them and heard one or two of their songs but I don't actually "remember" them. Apparently they had one hit called "never wanna lose ya." Not sure how to describe but maybe a slightly more proggish version of the Babies but still not prog. Not really a bad band name or at least not worse than any other geographic band name(ie Boston, Kansas, Chicago, etc.).
You've heard of them and heard one or two of their songs and know they had a hit called "never wanna lose ya" (actually titled Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya), and you say you don't "remember" them. And thanks for pointing out to me that they're not prog, Giggles.

Edited by Rednight - November 27 2020 at 10:19
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:28
Oh another one i can't stand is

ANYONE'S DAUGHTER.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567