Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eddie Jobson or Geoff Downes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Whos the most impressive keyboardist.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [90.32%]
3 [9.68%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eddie Jobson or Geoff Downes
    Posted: November 19 2020 at 08:40
Whos your favourite of these two gents/giants of prog.

Notes to compare: they sort of came into the prog circus about the same time, in the second wave of keyboard virtouses, in mid 70s. Dazzeld with a wide array of synths and keen mind to explore new synth and keyboard technology. Both went into famous prog units in the 70s Geoff joined Yes and Jobson joined Roxy Music, both become part of a collective of super musichians, as in U.K and Asia. Both use alot of synths. Jobson have an ace in hes arm by also being an accomplished violinist. But in this poll we mainly focus in their keybord/synth/piano work.

Both also plays in and around many constilations, all arround exellent players. But falls in the shadows of Wakeman, Emerson, Banks, Wright and Minnear
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 09:31
As in, who would I rather have in a band? Eddie Jobson. He covers more ground with violin. Plus, I REALLY liked what he introduced to Jethro Tull. That lineup had potential, even if the sound is dated.

Not much of a problem though since both A and Drama are unmistakeably 1980-ish in sound.

Edited by thief - November 19 2020 at 09:31
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:03
they are not in the same universe as Banks, Wakeman, Emerson, Vangelis, Moraz, Wright---pet peeve of mine but find the way Downes plays live Yes music frustrating to say the least--seems always to be lagging with no original spark added.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:04
Definitely Eddie Jobson. He's one of the most underrated prog musicians ever.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

he adds so much to the U.K sound he is both flamboyand and mystical at the same time, soundwise
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

he adds so much to the U.K sound he is both flamboyand and mystical at the same time, soundwise

Totally agree with you both

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:27
Your sense of history is revisionist at best. Downes' early claim to fame was as one-half of the Buggles, a pop outfit that made notice with their lightweight Video Killed the Radio Star in 1979. Jobson, a true prog "giant", came into his own at age 17, replacing Darryl Way in Curved Air in 1972. This was followed by stints in other bands, most notable Roxy Music where Jobson appeared on three albums from 1973 to 1976. The rest is truly history.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:49
E.J.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Your sense of history is revisionist at best. Downes' early claim to fame was as one-half of the Buggles, a pop outfit that made notice with their lightweight Video Killed the Radio Star in 1979. Jobson, a true prog "giant", came into his own at age 17, replacing Darryl Way in Curved Air in 1972. This was followed by stints in other bands, most notable Roxy Music where Jobson appeared on three albums from 1973 to 1976. The rest is truly history.

Plus, Eddie was in Zappa's band for Studio Tan before U.K. (You can also see Eddie on the cover of the previous record Zoot Allures, but he didn't play on it!)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 13:34
Eddie only played on one track on Studio Tan, most of which was recorded in 1975 and released in 78 without Zappa's permission. Eddie does not appear on any studio albums by Zappa otherwise, though he did play in his mid-76 lineup, can be heard on Live in NY, and is on a couple posthumous albums, like Philly '76.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 14:12
Jobson by quite a distance. The best Downes work I liked was on Drama. Not too excited about anything else he did.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 14:16
Jobby 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 14:33
Hey, you play with UK, Roxy Music, Zappa, Curved Air, Yes and Jethro Tull, you have quite the resume.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 16:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hey, you play with UK, Roxy Music, Zappa, Curved Air, Yes and Jethro Tull, you have quite the resume.

Jobson, because of this. And he added something substantial to all of them.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Eddie only played on one track on Studio Tan, most of which was recorded in 1975 and released in 78 without Zappa's permission. Eddie does not appear on any studio albums by Zappa otherwise, though he did play in his mid-76 lineup, can be heard on Live in NY, and is on a couple posthumous albums, like Philly '76.

Yeah, because George Duke had left but came back, and there was the big mess with Läther and Warner wanting four more studio albums from Frank before they'd let him out of his contract. 

I recall an interview in Keyboard where Eddie related how he was onstage, but the light wasn't hitting his setup properly at the moment Frank gave him the famous "Zappa point" and Eddie had no choice but to launch into a solo while turning knobs on a synth he still getting to know (he didn't say which one it was).
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 23:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Yeah, because George Duke had left but came back, and there was the big mess with Läther and Warner wanting four more studio albums from Frank before they'd let him out of his contract. 

I recall an interview in Keyboard where Eddie related how he was onstage, but the light wasn't hitting his setup properly at the moment Frank gave him the famous "Zappa point" and Eddie had no choice but to launch into a solo while turning knobs on a synth he still getting to know (he didn't say which one it was).

That version of RDNZL actually was already recorded with George, Ruth, Chester, and Tom in 1975, as was Greggary Peccary (most of which was written and recorded in demo form, and even toured, in 1972 with the Wazoo Orchestra). But yeah, it was meant for Läther in 76, and WB went all capitalistic, as is their wont.

That's a cool tidbit about Eddie and the synths. Duke was famously not really into the synths until Frank kind of made him explore them. That and singing, oddly enough. And then we had him singing INCA ROADS! I guess Frank usually knew his stuff.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 23:29
Jobson, because of UK!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 23:51
Jobson all day, son.

That first UK record is one of my favorite pieces of fusion!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 02:28
Eddie Jobson prestation in UK, on Jethro Tull's A album is impressive, not so much on his solo albums, still one of the most important musician from old school prog

Aswell apreciate Downes as a solid keybordist, but among my fav ones
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 19:38
Bit tough comparing Eddie Jobson to Geoff Downes. Downes is an especially talented keyboardist whose style perfectly suits Yes more so than Rick Wakeman. The failure of Yes to progress as a band with Downes there is purely because of the lack of new material they produce these days. Yes are no longer songwriters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>