13 [39.39%]
14 [42.42%]
1 [3.03%]
5 [15.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater - Falling into infinity ?
    Posted: November 20 2020 at 02:58
I was listening to this album and thoroughly enjoyed each song, I fail to see why its so low in its rating, maybe you can shed some light and enlighten me in your comments below. As a matter of fact this album pathed the way for me to discover Kings X (I love that band) through the song Lines in the Sand Tongue I realise the term "criminally" was a little strong so I edited this poll early before too many votes of 'other' come in. Wink

Edited by Enchant X - November 20 2020 at 03:54
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 03:07
it's underrated, although I would not use the word "criminally". 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 03:08
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

it's underrated, although I would not use the word "criminally". 

Same here, just underrated.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 04:32
For me this album is "good, but non-essential", I would give it three stars. They've made a couple of excellent albums (4*), but IMO this is not one of them, so I consider the rating to be very fair.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 04:42
3.32 1552 ratings 
that rather low for this album IMO

what I like about this album is that they were trying new things, also Kevin Moore is gone and Derek is given a chance here. 
I recommend -Falling Into Infinity Demos 1996-1997, even the songs that did not make it on the album are really good, and there's an epic that was the starting point of their next album. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 09:25
4 stars is a good place for me.....I really enjoy this album. One of DT better overall productions and song writing. Burning My Soul always gives my speakers a work out. I also think this is one of Labrie's better vocal recordings, Awake is another.....

I guess I'll choose first option.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 09:44
I had to think about this as it's been so long since I listened to it and I definitely need a refresher. What I recall is that it was a good album but not on par with Words And Images and Awake that proceeded it. I recall some calling it DT's pop album, which is silly. 3.5 stars sounds about right though.

Edited by SteveG - November 20 2020 at 09:51
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 10:06
Absolutely underrated, it's a great album, indeed.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:18
pretty fair I'd think
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:26
I love Dream Theater, one of my favorite bands of all time. But I find most of this album extremely mediocre and boring outside of a few tracks. Lines in the Sand is probably my favorite but there's just something off about the sound of this album I can't put my finger on. Perhaps Derek Sherinian wasn't the best fit for the band? Not sure, but probably my least favorite Dream Theater album, it really starts out on the wrong foot with probably the two worst tracks opening the album.

Looking at the comments here its seems most folks like it, perhaps I should give it another chance. On one hand it kind of sucks the record label cut down some songs and in some cases literally just cut some songs off the album. But on the other hand, if they didn't do that we wouldn't have ever gotten Scenes From a Memory, which was originally a 25 minute song penned for FII, the demo can be found on youtube.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 20 2020 at 14:30
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:34
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I was listening to this album and thoroughly enjoyed each song, I fail to see why its so low in its rating...

Actually, more I think about it more I'm convinced that your position is much like Trump denying the election results. More than 1500 ratings give it an average 3.32. Of course, some rate it higher (you, a.o.), but others rate it lower (me, a.o.), otherwise there wouldn't be this average. So, it pretty much reflect what it's worth according to "the people". Now, the question is: do you accept democracy?

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:35
^ What
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:48
^ Oh, you know...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:05
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I was listening to this album and thoroughly enjoyed each song, I fail to see why its so low in its rating...

Actually, more I think about it more I'm convinced that your position is much like Trump denying the election results. More than 1500 ratings give it an average 3.32. Of course, some rate it higher (you, a.o.), but others rate it lower (me, a.o.), otherwise there wouldn't be this average. So, it pretty much reflect what it's worth according to "the people". Now, the question is: do you accept democracy?

Keep the F****ing stupid politics BS out of these music threads.......there is a thread for that krapp here already.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:16
^ I apologise. But the point was about accepting ratings what they are (especially when there are many who have rated. But sorry again for the inappropriate comparison.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:21

^ I apologise. But the point was about accepting ratings what they are (especially when there are many who have rated. 

I accept it.
I just disagree. Tongue
does that make sense? 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:39
Good album. "Hollow Years" is DT's best ballad. Rated fair.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 20 2020 at 15:44
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:42

I was listening to this album and thoroughly enjoyed each song, I fail to see why its so low in its rating, maybe you can shed some light and enlighten me in your comments below. As a matter of fact this album pathed the way for me to discover Kings X (I love that band) through the song Lines in the Sand Tongue I realise the term "criminally" was a little strong so I edited this poll early before too many votes of 'other' come in. Wink
You and me too. It's the next one I'm no fan of, but it seems Prog fans love concepts over the music.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:45

good that you edited it, too late for me, I clicked "other" earlier. 
sorry about that.

Edited by Cristi - November 20 2020 at 15:45
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 03:05

^ I apologise. But the point was about accepting ratings what they are (especially when there are many who have rated. But sorry again for the inappropriate comparison.

Don't be sorry. It was amusing. I understood the comparison, and using politics was clearly a joke. This is CENSORSHIP. (hehe)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>