13 [39.39%]
14 [42.42%]
1 [3.03%]
5 [15.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 06:54
Did a little revisiting, Lines in the Sand kicks ass, still lukewarm on the rest
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:41
Underrated
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 15:22
I’m not a great DT fan, but FII is top five for me. It seems as underrated to me, as Scenes From a Memory seems overrated. But I’m probably not the best judge of what is rated worthily, as I like The Astonishing even more than I like FII.... 🤪
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 15:24
I tried the Astonishing again earlier today, you know, there's some really good moments but there's just too much fluff and slow ballady songs in the mix for me. I really want to like it, but I just think it's some of their weakest material, the drumming feels a bit underdeveloped too. Perhaps it would be a good 60 minute album
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 15:38
The Astonishing is perhaps a little too long. But it just works for me. That and Six Degress sort of jostle for top place in my DT top five.

(The other two of the five being Awake and A Dramatic Turn of Events.)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 15:54
I rate Six Degrees as 5 stars, all 90 minutes of that are amazing, I also love Dramatic Turn of Events & DOT as well as ofc Awake, Images and Scenes. I really want to like Self Titled and Astonishing but they're just not for me sadly.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 16:03
I haven't played it lately but I remember it being hit or miss. Some good moments but it didn't flow well or something. I can't really put my finger on it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 23:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I haven't played it lately but I remember it being hit or miss. Some good moments but it didn't flow well or something. I can't really put my finger on it.

nah, you are describing SDOIT. LOL
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 01:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

After playing it recently several times one thing I like a lot about it is the way it flows ... give it spin again just to give it a fair chance .. great great album in my humble opinion and different to most of their other albums, they tried new stuff. Doug Pinnick's (Kings X) vocals in lines in the sand inspired me to make this poll, made me realize how versatile this album is, compared to most of their other albums Tongue Doug Pinnick and Steve Walsh (in his prime) are my two all time favorite singers ever !

Edited by Enchant X - November 23 2020 at 01:55
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 01:47
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I rate Six Degrees as 5 stars, all 90 minutes of that are amazing, I also love Dramatic Turn of Events & DOT as well as ofc Awake, Images and Scenes. I really want to like Self Titled and Astonishing but they're just not for me sadly.

SDOIT along with Systematic Chaos are two albums that got worse for me over time, especially SC.

The self-titled has a strange drum sound, rather plastic sounding, I dunno. Still a solid release for me.

Stay away from The Astonishing. 
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 01:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

SDOIT along with Systematic Chaos are two albums that got worse for me over time, especially SC.

The self-titled has a strange drum sound, rather plastic sounding, I dunno. Still a solid release for me.

The Astonishing for me is mood related sometimes I enjoy it other times it makes me tired listening to it ..I need to be in a specific mood but I'm always in the mood for falling into infinity, that is the difference. 

Edited by Enchant X - November 23 2020 at 02:02
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 02:10

One thing is certain my mind SDOIT disc 2 deals with the subject of mental illness extremely well and with such respect as a person (myself) whos suffered with 'bipolar' for years I relate to each and every word , its an inspiration to know there's song writers out there who delve deeply into a subject many people don't want to talk about. Clap this clap is for Dream Theater showing the courage to tackle such a delicate subject with respect and great dignity. Smile

Edited by Enchant X - November 23 2020 at 02:15
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 02:16
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

One thing is certain my mind SDOIT disc 2 deals with the subject of mental illness extremely well and with such respect as a person (myself) whos suffered with 'bipolar' for years I relate to each and every word , its an inspiration to know there's song writers out there who delve deeply into a subject many people don't want to talk about. Clap this clap is for Dream Theater showing the courage to tackle such a delicate subject. Smile

I'm not contesting the lyrical content, but I got no urge whatsoever to listen to the 42 minutes epic any time soon. I played the album a lot when it came out, so maybe that is another reason why I don't need to give it more listens. 
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 02:22

One thing is certain my mind SDOIT disc 2 deals with the subject of mental illness extremely well and with such respect as a person (myself) whos suffered with 'bipolar' for years I relate to each and every word , its an inspiration to know there's song writers out there who delve deeply into a subject many people don't want to talk about. Clap this clap is for Dream Theater showing the courage to tackle such a delicate subject with respect and great dignity and possibly enlightening many folks who listen to it, Knowledge is power to overcome ignorance and fear. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 02:27

One thing is certain my mind SDOIT disc 2 deals with the subject of mental illness extremely well and with such respect as a person (myself) whos suffered with 'bipolar' for years I relate to each and every word , its an inspiration to know there's song writers out there who delve deeply into a subject many people don't want to talk about. Clap this clap is for Dream Theater showing the courage to tackle such a delicate subject with respect and great dignity and possibly enlightening many folks who listen to it, Knowledge is power to overcome ignorance and fear. Smile

again, like I said, they got awesome lyrics that you enjoy and appreciate, awesome then. 

I just don't feel the need to listen to it, that's all. There is little excitement for me in it. I also listened to it a lot when it came out. 
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 02:33

again, like I said, they got awesome lyrics that you enjoy and appreciate, awesome then. 

I just don't feel the need to listen to it, that's all. There is little excitement for me in it. I also listened to it a lot when it came out. 
I haven't played it in some time maybe I'll give it another spin I do remember when it come out how blown away I was by the lyrics, I couldn't have said it better a lot of study went into the writing of the lyrics. Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - November 23 2020 at 02:37
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:04
The self-titled album is easily my least favourite of the DT albums I’ve heard (I’ve still not got around to listening to either their first, nor their most recent). It was a real disappointment for me, as I really loved Dramatic Turn (which is, as I mentioned somewhere above) in my top five DT albums. Dramatic Turn reminds me quite a bit of Images and Words, but even better, and it was a welcome change after a couple of disappointing (for me) albums.

It’s quite possibly because of the self-titled, and my disappointment in it, that I’ve still not got around to listening to the new one (which is now no longer quite so new). I didn’t listen to The Astonishing until well after a year after it was released, because of the combination of my disappointment with the self-titled, and the almost universal disdain and criticism Astonishing received. I can’t remember what prompted me to give Astonishing a go, but I was immediately astonished by how much I loved it. But I was still, and am still, wary of newer DT. I may try and find time to listen to the new one before the end of this year.... 🤪

My absolute favourite DT release is actually A Change of Seasons, but it’s not an album, so disregarding that, this is probably how I’d rank the albums, personally

12. Dream Theater
11. Systematic Chaos
10. Black Clouds
9. Scenes From a Memory
7= Train of Thought
7= Octavarium
6. Images and Words
5. Awake
3= Dramatic Turn
3= Falling Into Infinity
1= The Astonishing 
1= Six Degrees
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:19
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The self-titled album is easily my least favourite of the DT albums I’ve heard (I’ve still not got around to listening to either their first, nor their most recent). It was a real disappointment for me, as I really loved Dramatic Turn (which is, as I mentioned somewhere above) in my top five DT albums. Dramatic Turn reminds me quite a bit of Images and Words, but even better, and it was a welcome change after a couple of disappointing (for me) albums.

It’s quite possibly because of the self-titled, and my disappointment in it, that I’ve still not got around to listening to the new one (which is now no longer quite so new). I didn’t listen to The Astonishing until well after a year after it was released, because of the combination of my disappointment with the self-titled, and the almost universal disdain and criticism Astonishing received. I can’t remember what prompted me to give Astonishing a go, but I was immediately astonished by how much I loved it. But I was still, and am still, wary of newer DT. I may try and find time to listen to the new one before the end of this year.... 🤪

My absolute favourite DT release is actually A Change of Seasons, but it’s not an album, so disregarding that, this is probably how I’d rank the albums, personally

12. Dream Theater
11. Systematic Chaos
10. Black Clouds
9. Scenes From a Memory
7= Train of Thought
7= Octavarium
6. Images and Words
5. Awake
3= Dramatic Turn
3= Falling Into Infinity
1= The Astonishing 
1= Six Degrees

my list would look totally different. I can't stand The Astonishing album, I never thought I'd say that about a DT album, but sadly I dislike that album. 
Images & Words is middle of the road for you?! This album was so groundbreaking when it came out, I think people forget that. A huge step forward from the debut (which I enjoy a lot and find it criminally underrated). Also the epic a Change of Season was written in the I & W sessions, there is a live version on youtube, from 1993, you can see it with Kevin Moore on keys. 

I also think the self titled album tried to sound like I & W more than ADToE. The self-titled and DOT are my favorite later day DT. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:37
I don’t disagree that I&W was groundbreaking, and I don’t think that people forget that. How could they, when pretty much because of that, a huge chunk of prog metal these days, if not outright DT clones, are at the very least highly derivative of them.

It’s possible to recognise how important an album is, and still not have it resonate greatly on a personal level (shall I mention DSotM again? 😜).

The eponymous album to me sounds nothing like I&W, while I find Dramatic Turn highly reminescent of it. I guess that just goes to show how much difference, different people can hear from the same music. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:44
^ this song scream Images and Words LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>