0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree or The Pineapple Thief?
    Posted: November 23 2020 at 15:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

the typo in the title thread bothers me, I don't know what's wrong with me. LOL I've become the guy that is annoyed by typos. LOL

If you haven't had the chance to visit the "An Obligement of Prog" thread, we've come up with many interesting ways of using the word "of." You might also see why I don't actually see a typo. LOL

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 07:41
Hi,

For me PTree has history on its side and some creative endeavors from the very first days ... in many ways, PThief is a much more "conventional" band than PTree ever was in its first 20 years ... so, this, for me, makes the poll rather ... strange and weird ... we're comparing a man to a boy, so to speak, or a woman to a girl.

Edited by moshkito - November 23 2020 at 07:42
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 04:14
Porcupine Tree swing between excellence and soporific mediocrity IMO.

I need to explore Pineapple Thief more. I like what I've heard. If I give them the time they probably deserve, I suspect I will like them more than PTree overall.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:33
I do think PT are overall more consistent in quality (apart, as many have stated, from the debut), but when TPT gets it right, they are superb.

I was completely surprised by Dissolution, though, as the majority of my favourite TPT albums tend to be towards the beginning of their discography. In addition, I found Your Wilderness to be incredibly disappointing, and it’s still my least favourite TPT album.

Until Dissolution, nothing had come even remotely close to removing Variations on a Dream from being my absolute favourite TPT release, but I have to say Dissolution pretty much shares that position now.

(Similarly, most of my favourite PT releases are also from their earlier (Delerium) years, apart from The Incident, which really impressed me.)

I do find it hard to choose between the two, though, as it’s a bit “apples and oranges”.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:25
the typo in the title thread bothers me, I don't know what's wrong with me. LOL I've become the guy that is annoyed by typos. LOL
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 03:10
The last 4 TPT albums were awesome for me. I also like some of their earlier works (the debut, little man and someone here is missing), but most of their work is quite hit and miss.

PT is overally better, bar their debut, but I still love TPT lol
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 15:13
What The Incident is for you, Your Wilderness is for me. I just can’t seem to get into it, but I do give it another chance every now any then, to see if I like it better the next time around. YW is quite easily my least favourite TPT album,

The Incident, on the other hand, is probably in my top five PT (studio) albums...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 14:59
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I like PT's highs better, am put off by their lows more; I think TPT has been more consistent and certainly more melodic as well as equally adventurous if less prone to surges into metal. Thus, I would vote for a seventh category, "I like them both equally, but for different reasons."

Point out some of the lows of Porcupine Tree.

the debut and their last one are my lows, still listenable records though. 

'The Incident'? Always enjoyed it, the debut is not that good, really.

I did not say I don't enjoy the Incident, just that it's a low for me in their discography, I rarely listen to it, if I need some PT, that's never the album I go to. It's that album you give another chance and see if things work out better that time around. LOL
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 14:54

I like PT's highs better, am put off by their lows more; I think TPT has been more consistent and certainly more melodic as well as equally adventurous if less prone to surges into metal. Thus, I would vote for a seventh category, "I like them both equally, but for different reasons."

'The Incident'? Always enjoyed it, the debut is not that good, really.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:51
Tree......and not  close.....just listened to a Thief lp yesterday and while they have some nice things going on PT is better in song writing ,playing, etc... 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 12:44
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

For the past couple years The Pineapple Thief has been brilliant for me. I was probably a casual listener for the past 10yrs, with a couple albums being really good to excellent.
The addition of Gavin Harrison has brought them a well rounded out sound and production quality especially on Your Wilderness and Dissolution, the last album was a bit too melancholy for my tastes. Especially after seeing them live last December they absolutely are a kick-a$$ band, super musical and talented as you can tell they have a great stage presence together.

Porcupine Tree will always be in my top 5, The Pineapple Thief in my top 10.....but recently like others said with current output of albums The Pineapple Thief gets my vote.

Totally agree
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 16:06

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I'm the opposite. I'm put off by the lows of Pineapple Thief. Some songs I absolutely love while others send me to sleep.

I fell asleep a few times in my life listening to thrash LOL That only says i was tired and needed sleep though. LOL
I'll play The Pineapple Thief in the morning then instead of nights.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:57
This is kind of like a poll I would have done. I did one with Thieve's Kitchen and Pineapple Thief but not the two PT's. Anyway, I'm rather suprised someone on here doesn't know Porcupine Tree. I wonder what kind of rock they have been living under. Apparently not a progressive one.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 20 2020 at 15:57
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:50
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I'm the opposite. I'm put off by the lows of Pineapple Thief. Some songs I absolutely love while others send me to sleep.

I fell asleep a few times in my life listening to thrash LOL That only says i was tired and needed sleep though. LOL
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:46

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 15:11

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 14:18
The tree for sure. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 13:34

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 12:23
Porcupine tree. More varied, more memorable, great live shows.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 11:40
Porcupine Tree. I really like both, but Porcupine Tree appeals more to my taste.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>