Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder Box Set

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder Box Set
    Posted: November 20 2020 at 07:34

Source:
https://shop.pinkfloyd.com/product/X3AMPF716/pink-floyd-delicate-sound-of-thunder-theatrical-release-boxset
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 08:18
2CD Remixed From The Original Master Tapes

Disc 1 (Part 1)

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5
2. Signs Of Life
3. Learning To Fly
4. Yet Another Movie
5. Round And Around
6. A New Machine Part 1
7. Terminal Frost
8. A New Machine Part 2
9. Sorrow
10. The Dogs Of War
11. On The Turning Away

Disc 2 (Part 2)

1. One Of These Days
2. Time
3. On The Run
4. The Great Gig In The Sky
5. Wish You Were Here
6. Welcome To The Machine
7. Us And Them
8. Money
9. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
10. Comfortably Numb
11. One Slip
12. Run Like Hell

BLU-RAY and DVD

Blu-ray – Stereo PCM 96/24, 5.1 dts Master Audio (96/24)
DVD – Stereo PCM (48/16), 5.1 Dolby Digital (48/16), 5.1 dts (48/16)

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1-5
2. Signs Of Life
3. Learning To Fly
4. Sorrow
5. The Dogs Of War
6. On The Turning Away
7. One Of These Days
8. Time
9. On The Run
10. The Great Gig In The Sky
11. Wish You Were Here
12. Us And Them
13. Money
14. Comfortably Numb
15. One Slip
16. Run Like Hell

BONUS TRACKS

Blu-ray: Stereo PCM 96/24 / DVD: Stereo PCM 48/16

1. Yet Another Movie
2. Round And Around
3. A New Machine Part 1
4. Terminal Frost
5. A New Machine Part 2

Source:
https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/pink-floyds-delicate-sound-of-thunder-restored-re-edited-and-remixed
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 10:39
I remember when this came out back in 1988. It was kind of a big deal back then because it was their first official live release since disc 1 of Ummagumma. For those of us who couldn't see them in the 1970s (I was too young then), we had to rely on bootlegs to sort of get the experience. Finally got to see them in Philadelphia the year this double-vinyl live set was released. Since then this release got overshadowed by the release of Pulse.

It's nice to see this resurrected. I still have a copy of the VHS release of this concert! Too bad they didn't have an official live album from the Animals tour. That would've been cool.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:02
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It's nice to see this resurrected. I still have a copy of the VHS release of this concert!

They say that image quality has been greatly improved for this edition.   
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:46
I hope it sounds better than '88, Gilmour's mix was disappointing.   I saw them twice on this tour, first & second legs.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 15:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I hope it sounds better than '88, Gilmour's mix was disappointing.   I saw them twice on this tour, first & second legs.

Lucky you! Dave is my hero as singer & guitarist, but maybe the soundboard requires a different set of skills...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 16:03
^ It sure does, plus he'd been playing live for months around the world by then, his aural perspective was probably a bit off. 

Edited by Atavachron - November 21 2020 at 16:03
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 16:35
Probably this is now competing not only with Pulse, but also with Dave's Live in Gdańsk & Live at Pompeii (which sound so good...)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 16:42
isn't this already available in the Later Years big boxset??

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Saw them on show 1 & 3 of that tour, at the CNE - they had rented a plane hangar at Malton Airport for rehearsal and I had a buddy working there, but we never heard anything despite approaching it twice.

Then I saw them two years later in Lille (France)

I ended up never buying the live album, because the sound sucked and since I hated Permanent Lapse Of Reason...

If I do buy this, it wioll be for the DVD only
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 21:23
^I was at the CNE concert as well. Sitting about midway down the length and in the lower third of the north side grandstand. I remember it being terribly loud. I had massive ringing in my left ear for a week. I had thought the sound for a PF concert would have been better. And I remember the plane prop that flew/crashed across the field. Glad I saw them but not a top ten concert IMHO.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 02:59
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^I was at the CNE concert as well. Sitting about midway down the length and in the lower third of the north side grandstand. I remember it being terribly loud. I had massive ringing in my left ear for a week. I had thought the sound for a PF concert would have been better. And I remember the plane prop that flew/crashed across the field. Glad I saw them but not a top ten concert IMHO.

Actually, I was on holidays when the first two days tickets were sold, so I only got crappy tickets for the second day (all that was left) once I came back. But a few weeks later, a third day was added and it was before the first two dates, which means that it became the opening show, and I made sure I had excellent tickets - as if that was possible in a stadium.
I remember trying to peddle my crappy nose-bleeding ticket without any success, even missing in the process Shine On You opening on that third concert.

I certainly hope that the film and album were recorded later on in the tour, because up close, there were many small glitches (something I didn't catch up in the rafters two days later). The group was not a well-oiled machine early on. If I want Waters-less Floyd, I'll go for Pulse from the TDB tour.

Let's all remember that AMLOR is little more than a weak Gilmour solo album usurping the Floyd name, in a hurry to get a hold of the PF name. Both Mason (present on two tracks) and Wright (not even on the picture) having almost missed all of the recordings were added for "legitimacy".

Edited by Sean Trane - November 22 2020 at 03:00
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 03:58
The details page says: "Filmed at Long Island’s Nassau Coliseum in August 1988..."
(and they make me laugh when they say "painstakingly restored" from the 35mm negatives. Having worked for more than 20 years in film archives I know this is probably pure marketing crap and that they actually mean they did some new digital colour grading and probably turning up the contrast to - unfortunately - meet nowadays digital norms)

I saw them in June that year in Rotterdam (and July 1989 in Nijmegen, my home town then). And then in 1994 on their TDB tour and it was great to see them live.
As live album, I actually prefer the Delicate Sound of Thunder (despite the complete DSotM on Pulse), but I hope they indeed improved the sound quality on this new edition. An occasion for me to get this album again (I gave mine away, or someone never returned it to me...).

Edited by suitkees - November 22 2020 at 04:02

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 08:00
lol...  might have to get this one..

never done a box set before.. and if I was do one.. it would be this one
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply